Author Topic: Make your site Smartphone friendly- add a QR Code!  (Read 17709 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Make your site Smartphone friendly- add a QR Code!
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
You may have seen images like this appearing on web sites and on printed material.

They are called QR Codes and are a quick way of sharing text, URLs, phone numbers, or SMS with smart phone users.

The one above points to SLOweather.com.

On my Droid, to read QR codes, I installed the BarCode Scanner app. It will read QR codes off the laptop screen or off printed material, and then I can click on the recovered URL and open the page.

You could put QR codes on your web page to point to your site so that Smart phone users can get your URL into their phone right off a computer screen. You could print it on business cards.

Heck, you might even be able to use it as an avatar.

Make yours at:

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

Note that these are PNG images and probably shouldn't be converted to jpgs, as the jpg compression artifacts may inhibit proper decoding.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:42:50 PM by SLOweather »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Make your site Smartphone friendly- add a QR Code!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Yep, it works. 

I see those everywhere now.  Reminds me of something I would see in a bad sci fi movie-the original V

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Offline tonyva

• Mangawhai Heads Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
Thanks mate I will do that  8-)

Tony

Davis VP2 Cabled, WDisplay, Windows XP

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:28 PM »
Made me laugh SLO =D>

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
I was wondering if you or anyone else would figure it out.  ;)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:11:10 PM »
So will kids use this as another way to NOT communicate face to face?

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »
Bar using QR codes for drinks

http://www.vita.mn/story.php?id=113400809&elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU][url]http://www.vita.mn/story.php?id=113400809&elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU[/url]

Chino Latino's new bar code

When Chino Latino opened in 2000, it was a cutting-edge powerhouse that smashed the idea of what a Minnesota restaurant could be. A decade later, owner Phil Roberts says it's time to mix things up.

Chino's new vision: bargoers on a digital scavenger hunt in the bathroom, and the restaurant's new chef, Tuan Nguyen, wearing a loincloth while riding a talking chicken.

From the beginning, Chino Latino was a controversy magnet for its racy ad campaigns. The Uptown hot spot is getting edgy again, but this time on the techy side of things. This week it introduced an interactive ad campaign using QR codes, those black-and-white squares that look like digitized Rorschach tests. Once the code is scanned -- using a free app on any smart phone -- the user is instantly taken to a website (QR stands for "quick response"). Chino is putting these codes on billboards and inside the restaurant on bathroom stalls and cocktail flags.

So what happens when you scan one? Chino is using the gimmick to introduce chef Nguyen. Scanning the billboard code, for example, will take you to an interactive video adventure starring a cartoon version of Nguyen. Other codes, like the ones given out as tattoos or attached to cocktail glasses, might give you access to food and drink specials.

"What we really need to do is keep it rather outrageous," he told his team. "I really want people to be offended."

So far, the cartoon adventures they've concocted for chef Nguyen are pretty tame by Chino standards. Still, the video does show the scantily clad chef traversing the hot zones and wigging out on psychedelic habaneros.

QR codes are widely used in Japan, where the smart-phone revolution took hold much earlier. Chino Latino is one of the first Twin Cities restaurants to utilize this technology. Look for more restaurants and bars to use QR codes in a variety of ways. They might appear on menus next to certain dishes -- scan the code with your phone and it'll show you a video of the chef talking about the dish. Saffron and Vincent are among a few places that have put their wine lists on iPads that are handed out for patrons to peruse.

Clayton said he estimates that 70 percent of Chino Latino's clientele has smart phones and only 20 percent of them have a QR code reader. Luckily, there are several free apps available (they suggest NeoReader), and Chino's staff has been instructed to guide customers along the way. "I suppose at the end of the day this whole thing could flop," Roberts said.

Nguyen, 40, comes to Chino after working in Las Vegas as executive chef at Wolfgang Puck Café and stints here as the top chef at California Café and Napa Valley Grille. When Parasole first told Nguyen about the QR campaign, he didn't know what to think. "I said, 'What the hell are you talking about?'" Nguyen remembers. Then he watched the first video -- in which he's half naked, eating hot peppers and riding the chicken. "I couldn't stop laughing," he said.

Roberts said he wants to re-establish Chino Latino as the place where "Mommy in Minnetonka doesn't want Muffy going." But will bargoers take the time to scan a QR code during bathroom breaks? Roberts isn't entirely sure, but that won't stop him from dreaming up more naughty ideas.

"I'm just thinking about what we might be able to do with a goat," he said.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
You may have seen images like this appearing on web sites and on printed material.

They are called QR Codes and are a quick way of sharing text, URLs, phone numbers, or SMS with smart phone users.

The one above points to SLOweather.com.

On my Droid, to read QR codes, I installed the BarCode Scanner app. It will read QR codes off the laptop screen or off printed material, and then I can click on the recovered URL and open the page.

You could put QR codes on your web page to point to your site so that Smart phone users can get your URL into their phone right off a computer screen. You could print it on business cards.

Heck, you might even be able to use it as an avatar.

Make yours at:

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/

Note that these are PNG images and probably shouldn't be converted to jpgs, as the jpg compression artifacts may inhibit proper decoding.

Yeah I've noticed wxforum member dhrandy has this as his avatar and always wondered what it said.  :-|

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
That might be fun at a museum or something, to get more info on whatever you are standing in front of.  But does the reader-app give you a preview of the url/link/content?  I am a firm adherent to not clicking on unknown links and looking at the non-spoofed top-level-domain in the status bar of a browser.  Otherwise, as a scammer, I would just paste these all over the train station and local club, eniticing the "Hey!  Another Code!" sheeple.  That site does let you link it to an SMS message.  Imagine the auto-subscribe possibilities.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
On Android, it opens a window that shows the content of the code (URL, text, or vcard) and then asks if you want to open it (if it's a URL), or share it by email or SMS, or if vcard, save it in your contacts.

I recently became aware the Microsoft has jumped on the code tag bandwagon with, as usual, their own spin on it, MS Tags.

http://tag.microsoft.com/consumer/index.aspx

MS has gone a bit Google with these. Unlike the QR Codes, which are just encoded text, apparently the MS Tags are or can be linked back to their server where every tag read is recorded for the tag owner's review.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »
Microsoft tags have been around for a couple years actually. I getting excited when I got my BlackBerry.
Seems like they've left it to waste away for some reason.
Tony

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
I'm not convinced of the broad usefulness of QR for most sites like a PWS.  It certainly makes no sense to put one on your site; any visitor that sees the QR is already at youir site and doesn't need to decode it to get the URL.  DOH! 

I've though about making posters/flyers to promote my site in the local area and including a QR code, but why?  If I use a code then it only targets users of mobile devices that have a reader and know what a QR code is.  In contrast, if I actually print DeltaWeatherCam.com on the flyer then anyone can read it and remember it fairly easily.

I'd welcome any logical good uses for a QR to be used for site promotion.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
I'm not convinced of the broad usefulness of QR for most sites like a PWS.  It certainly makes no sense to put one on your site; any visitor that sees the QR is already at your site and doesn't need to decode it to get the URL.  DOH! 

But, if they are on your site on their PC, and you have a QR code that makes it easy to enter your site's URL, or the URL of your PDA/Cell phone page, into their smartphone, that is a good use. Just make sure that you explain what it's for, and provide a link to a site that explains it for people that are not yet familiar with it.

Even though my Droid 2 has a slide out keyboard, shooting a QR Code is a lot easier than typing in a long URL.

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
I'm not convinced of the broad usefulness of QR for most sites like a PWS.  It certainly makes no sense to put one on your site; any visitor that sees the QR is already at youir site and doesn't need to decode it to get the URL.  DOH!  

I've though about making posters/flyers to promote my site in the local area and including a QR code, but why?  If I use a code then it only targets users of mobile devices that have a reader and know what a QR code is.  In contrast, if I actually print DeltaWeatherCam.com on the flyer then anyone can read it and remember it fairly easily.

Most people that understand what QR codes are are using them quite a bit.  That is why so many advertisers are now including them on there advertising materials and on their sites.  People don't want to manually enter anything, they want to scan it in and are done.  Just because it is something new doesn't mean it is of no value.

I for one love being able to access my favorite sites on my smartphone.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 02:29:33 PM by WebsterWeather »
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
Two things just came to mind...  First, the movie "Minority Report" with real-time advertising targeted toward you based on your retina scan.  Just walk by and there is a commercial for your favorite cheese.  Google ad-words to the extreme.

The other one was last fall on an Alaska Airlines flight, where a guy boarding the plane was trying to get the ticket-scanner to scan the screen of his iPhone for the QR code (or equivalent) of his "paperless" boarding pass.  It eventually did, but it didn't seem to save much time.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Two things just came to mind...  First, the movie "Minority Report" with real-time advertising targeted toward you based on your retina scan.  Just walk by and there is a commercial for your favorite cheese.  Google ad-words to the extreme.

There are PHP scripts to create QR Codes on the fly. I was trying to come up with a reason to do that, but, like other toys, haven't found the justification to try it.

Offline johnnyg3

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the resource. I've been wondering how to make the QR codes for smartphones, a lot of people are selling the service these days. It's a great idea for businesses to get more visitors to their website by just adding the code to their product, boxes, sales literature, etc.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
You're welcome!

Here's another site to make them:

http://createqrcode.appspot.com/

which uses Google's charting engine:

http://code.google.com/apis/chart/infographics/docs/qr_codes.html