Author Topic: Atlas Mounting w/ Wind extension  (Read 3266 times)

Offline WestonFire22

Atlas Mounting w/ Wind extension
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi all, looked through the manuals and couldn't find anything about this so hoping someone can help.

For the main Atlas unit, what diameter pole is needed for mounting?  Also, if you get the wind extension, does the pole go all the way through the main Atlas unit then extend up to the extension mount?  Assume the same size pole is used for the wind extension mount?

Thanks
Bruce

Offline SkellyCA

Re: Atlas Mounting w/ Wind extension
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »
I think the mounting pole is the same as for the 5-in-1.

Yes, the pole goes all the way though...

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Pole diameter is not critical as the system is built to allow for a range of pole diameters.

The 5n1 used a 3/4" mount.  Atlas can use that, too. 

I've never measured, but I estimate you might be able to go up to 2".  I'll try to measure it this week.

Update: According to Acurite support, the maximum pole diameter supported is 1 1/4"
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:30:49 PM by nincehelser »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:40 PM »
Rachel at Acurite told me 1 1/4 inches in the max for the Atlas, so I got a piece of 1 inch conduit and plan on using that..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
Rachel at Acurite told me 1 1/4 inches in the max for the Atlas, so I got a piece of 1 inch conduit and plan on using that..

Yes.  I read today the max is 1 1/4" also.  I'll make a note of it above.

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »
So now I have a question...

I currently have a 5-in-1 mounted to a 20'(well really 2 10' poles connected), 3/4" galvanized steel pole and I get a little sway in high winds. Iplan on buying an atlas soon. So, will switching to a 1 1/4" pole eliminate that sway oris the pole just to long?

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
hard to say; a solid 20' foot 11/4 inch pole, not 2 -10 foot sections connected, should be more stable than a 3/4 inch one is, but, I'm not a mechanical engineer, so, I dont know the science behind proving that..Seeing how the Atlas sensor weighs 8 lbs, a larger diameter pole is  a good idea anyway, especially at 20 foot length
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:49:43 PM by wase4711 »

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »
10' is longest HD sells. $35/pipe. So $70 for two plus the connector , so I'm wondering if the extra $80 or so is worth the investment.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
I bought a 10' section of 1 inch conduit at Home depot to use; I felt 10' was high enough up for me, but I live in the foothills of a mountainous area outside phoenix..The conduit is very sturdy and rigid, and I dont think I will have any problems, but I dont think I would feel comfortable connecting two sections together; at that point, I would probably just roof mount it..

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 12:21:50 AM »
I have my 5-in-1 on top of two connected pipes right now. Been good for a couple years now. One 10' pole would put it even with my house. Right now my station is well above all obstructions.

I've already bought the wind extension and battery pack, should be here soon but I need a little more money before I buy the Atlas itself.

Here's another thought, with the wind extension, the only part that really needs to be 20' in the air is the anemometer. So I guess I can mount the main part of the Atlas about 15'ft up, I still want it at least 5'ft above the aluminum awning to prevent that from interfering with temperature readings. That should help with sway right?

This is what I have now...

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
10' is longest HD sells. $35/pipe. So $70 for two plus the connector , so I'm wondering if the extra $80 or so is worth the investment.

$70?!?!? Ouch!!!!!!!!! :shock:

The best-kept secret in PWS masts:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-1-3-8-in-x-10-ft-6-in-17-Gauge-Galvanized-Top-Rail-328913DPT/100322532

A tad large for the Atlas' claimed 1.25" max, but you can clamp the provided plastic thingy to it if the narrower end isn't 1.25" or less.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
that one is not going to fit; so trying to use that one will result in disappointment.
I originally was going to use that one as well, but if inch and a quarter is max size, I decided to get a one inch length of conduit, to make sure I could clamp down on it a little bit with the adjustment screw..why would you even consider something larger than the opening? Clamping the provided"plastic thingy" would just create a weak point in your mounting, and would reduce the stability of the entire setup, IMO

anything