Author Topic: Weatherlink 6.0.3 and latest Win 10 update conflict?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Weatherlink 6.0.3 and latest Win 10 update conflict?
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
I believe that Weatherlink 6.0.3 and the very latest Win 10 update (last Tuesday Dec 12, 2017), have a conflict.  After the update installed on my Surface Pro 2017, the computer entered an endless blue screen loop displaying:
Getting Windows ready
Don't turn off your computer

After about a half hour, I shut it down and did a total reset wiping it to factory settings.  I added back my various programs and data including WL 6.0.3 and all seemed well until I guess I must have ran WL and later rebooted the computer. I was back to the endless loop.

So I did a program reset, but retained my data.  I then did a step by step program re-install.  Firefox 57, run it, and reboot, all ok. Norton Security, run it, and reboot, all ok.  WL 6.0.3 and reboot, all ok.  Run it and reboot, back to the blue screen endless loop.

Note the Tues update on my Surface Pro 3 with Win 8.1 and WL 6.0.3 runs ok.  Right now I'm at a loss as what to do next.  I did set a restore point before loading WL 6.0.3, but I'm not sure I can get to it without Windows launching. Unfortunately I'm getting to be well versed in the various blue screen computer repair options which haveen't worked.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Weatherlink 6.0.3 and latest Win 10 update conflict?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
Phone Davis?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
the computer entered an endless blue screen loop displaying:
Getting Windows ready

.....  WL 6.0.3 and reboot, all ok.  Run it and reboot, back to the blue screen endless loop.

Just to be clear - after running WeatherLink, and rebooting, it goes to an endless loop of
Getting Windows ready

So, running WeatherLink messes with the latest Windows 10 update?????????

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
After about a half hour, I shut it down
Half an hour? I had a Win10 update last three times that long once. My WL and Win10 get along fine, obviously when not shoving an update down our throats... ](*,)

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
I sent an email to support@davisnet.com containing the above explanation shortly after I had posted it.

You can roll back to a restore point successfully after entering that endless blue screen loop.  Hurray!

The notes for WL 6.0.3 state:

What's new in v6.0.3
Fixed installation error with Windows 8. Updated .net to 3.5 and replaced the 2.0 version for compatibility to Win8.

However, down below that it also states:
Platform: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
Released: February 26, 2013

They had to have revised that platform statement as February 26, 2013 was well before Win 10 was introduced.  I wonder if something in that update affects .net 3.5.  After all that is a very dated .net version.

As best as I can determine, running WL 6.0.3 then messes with the latest Win 10 to prevent a reboot completion.  After the roll back to pre-WL installation, I seem to be ok.  I'm doing a lot of restarts here.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:42:58 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
As best as I can determine, running WL 6.0.3 then messes with the latest Win 10 to prevent a reboot completion.
I guess my last post fell on blind eyes, my Win10 is up to date, I have been using 6.0.3 since it came out, WL and Win10 run perfectly fine.
 Perhaps something else is amiss.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
The latest Win 10 update failed to install for some reason on my machine.
  :???:

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »
Windows 10  ](*,) =;

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »
As best as I can determine, running WL 6.0.3 then messes with the latest Win 10 to prevent a reboot completion.
I guess my last post fell on blind eyes, my Win10 is up to date, I have been using 6.0.3 since it came out, WL and Win10 run perfectly fine.

No I saw your post.  Well I restarted one too many times after the roll back and am now at the blue screen again.  So this is something to do with just the update alone and WL 6.0.3 isn't directly involved.  I've heard of Win 10 endless install loops on other updates.  This must be one of them.  Note my mouse pointer moves on the blue screen and the screen saver goes black after 20-30 minutes.  I'm letting it run and run to see what happens.  There is no indicator of progress on that blue screen.
--Dave--

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
Go out for dinner, or maybe a vacation in Hawaii....
  I'm letting it run and run to see what happens. 
Go out to dinner...maybe vacation in Hawaii....who knows how long it'll take. :roll:

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
Go out to dinner...maybe vacation in Hawaii....who knows how long it'll take. :roll:

I really don't think it is progressing at all.

Edited.
Well after over 1.5 hrs it finished the blue screen, but a check on the latest update status reveals this:

2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)

In case anyone here is having a similar problem.  Apparently others on the Microsoft support forums are having similar problems with this update.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:28:33 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
Getting Windows ready

Just to be clear - after  rebooting, it goes to an endless loop of
Getting Windows ready

Please confirm - it's not just a blue screen, there are those information lines???????????????

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
Getting Windows ready

Just to be clear - after  rebooting, it goes to an endless loop of
Getting Windows ready

Please confirm - it's not just a blue screen, there are those information lines???????????????

Yes, the "Getting Windows ready & Don't turn off your computer" were on the screen.  It stayed on for over 1.5 hrs (it wasn't really endless  :shock:).  After that time elapsed, Win 10 started up, but after checking on the update it said it was only 99% completed. Then this appeared: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later.
If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)

That error number maybe a conflict between Norton Internet Security and Windows Defender.  There are various "fixes" which I haven't tried yet.
--Dave--

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
Well I fixed the NIS and Windows Defender conflict, only to run into yet another update installation error.  So rather than have my computer spend hours fruitlessly attempting updates and locking me out of its usage, I enabled a feature of Win 10 Pro -- update pause (lockout) for 35 days.  Maybe I can get some work accomplished while I contemplate a fix for the latest error in my spare time.  ](*,)
--Dave--

anything