Author Topic: WH2310 observations  (Read 3031 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
WH2310 observations
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
I have the WH2310 up and running as of last night. The thermo/hygro was perfect then, but once the sun hit the sensor this AM, the temp went way high, and reads 8-10 F too high. The rad shield is useless. So I will need to slip the sensor in a real shield and it will do well I believe. I like what I am seeing on the rest of the features, especially the Barometer and Light sensors. Very accurate out of the box! Too soon to tell about the wind speed, but you can calibrate all the readings. The display is easy to read and has plenty of information without pushing a button. I will get this station online probably in a weeks time.

The only problem that is obvious out of the box with this unit, and it is a problem, is the radiation shield. I believe the cord from the solar pod will be long enough for me to slip it into my solar shield to make the connection with the transmitter. I will probably destroy the included shield to get the cord out, unless someone knows what kind of wire to use as a substitute...

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: WH2310 observations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Here is a pic of the station and the bowl I slipped over the stock rad shield. Once this was done, the morning and evening temps were normal. The only calibrations I made were to the humidity. I added 5% and accounted for the wind speed by adding on for the low installation. Everything can be calibrated if needed!  \:D/ I love this station so far. No signal problems, and I am easily 200 ft away thru several walls. I managed to find time to fix her up slowly over the last several days. This fall, I want to get the wind meter over the roof though. I am in a hot zone for sure as all my thermometers read higher than anyone else in my town, but the acurite and Excelvan read the same for daytime highs with the shield I added on.

For less than $90, this station is the best one I've had yet.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
great feedback.  thank you!  now if i could only manage to make a nice radiation shield like that... :)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:55 PM »
You can go to a party store or $ store and get the bowls. Paint the outside white and inside black. I put a piece of the reflective insulation I had around that you use under roofs above the bowl so that the sunlight couldn't touch the stock shield through the hole I had to cut in the center of the bowl.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
I guess the idea behind painting the inside black is to absorb the reflected light on the upside from the bowls? My current station, ws-1400, makes it really tough to add a custom rad shield due to the bulk of the actual sensor unit. I'm thinking about buying the osprey and trying your solution.

Unfortunately, I'm getting anxious for a new station and can't wait for the acurite elite any longer.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »
@dport, this is how I mounted my home build shield with a 24 hour fan. Been up and running for over a month now with no problems.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:21:45 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Ah wow. Very nice. My first attempt was failed bc I tried to replace the entire stock shield and I just had no space towards the top. I wonder how your shield would perform without a fan.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
I know that after putting this shield up, my temp and humidity is more inline with other CWOP posters in the area as well as the three airports near by. I think the fan does have a big influence.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
I know that after putting this shield up, my temp and humidity is more inline with other CWOP posters in the area as well as the three airports near by. I think the fan does have a big influence.
While my Osprey is not showing signs of heat spikes, I am, none the less, in the process of adding an aspirator.  I am staying with the Fine Offset solar rad shield design but adding 2 additional open center plates to the stack.  These added plates will set just above the 2 solid plates and contain the ducted fan which will draw air downwards thru the upper levels of the rad shield.  I am debating whether to go with just solar power for the fan (2 panels, one east side, one west side) AND/OR add a down-pole weatherproof box to hold a more substantial battery arrangement to power the Osprey during no-sun as well as powering the aspirator.  I may well do both.  I will post some pics as well as results once I have it completed and installed (waiting for the propeller/fan to arrive).  If this works out, this would be an easy accessory for Fine Offset to offer for sale as other than the need for longer screws, the solar only design will fit on either the WS-1000-ARRAY or Osprey solar rad shield.

Offline railrode1

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
My ws-1001 temp sensor was touching the very bottom of the shield. All layers are hollow except for the bottom two. I used a hole saw of equal diameter on the next to the last layer. I have no more temp spikes since. I also rolled aluminum screen to fit the whole length of the inside cavity to keep insects away. I have no issues at all now.
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
My ws-1001 temp sensor was touching the very bottom of the shield. All layers are hollow except for the bottom two. I used a hole saw of equal diameter on the next to the last layer. I have no more temp spikes since. I also rolled aluminum screen to fit the whole length of the inside cavity to keep insects away. I have no issues at all now.

I gave this a shot as well. Second to last layer now has a hole. If this doesn't work I have bsckup ambient radiation shield parts. Will report back in a couple days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
I'm having problems with the rain bucket not reading rain. Most times it only reads 0.02 and quits. I have reset the solar pod, and pushed in the rain connector deeper into the pod, but then it quit reading completely. Pulled it back down again and back to 0.02. Any ideas? should I do something with the wires in the connector like run a knife over the plastic end?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
I think I've found my issue from above. I had kinked the thick cable running from the pod down thru the sun shield at the top where it enters in that narrow channel. Once I found this, and bent the cable back into a straight line, the rain gauge started reading all tips again. Anyone with a fine offset not registering, check the cables for bends.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »
This station is extremely accurate, and the batteries are still as strong as they were when I installed the station. All you need to do is make the temperature shield larger with some plates and it is spot on as long as no sun touches the factory shield. The anemometer is the most sensitive I have used. The issue I had above with the rain bucket was my fault. Somehow the calibration on the display was in the negatives, (below .10) and that is why the display kept showing no tips from the gauge. I don't understand why the makers of this station do not make a better temperature shield for it, and also give out longer cables. It is too good to not try it out, especially since it works with meteobridge... for the price it is a great unit.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
I am planning to extend the wind cable on this station soon. I have the phone wire (straight through) with a cord coupler. I want the thermometer down near the ground so I can change the batteries, and so I can position the solar sensor in direct sunlight a bit better. I only could get a 12 ft extention, but I hope this will be a better location... also the rain gauge will be able to be closer to the ground. Right now this station is on Amazon for $30 less than I paid! If you want a good station, get one. I have had no issues with mine, other than operator error as I posted above.