Author Topic: Weather link / Mac question.  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Mapleman1

Weather link / Mac question.
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
Hey guys , I know there's a lot of threads on this topic already but I just want to double check before I make my purchase. I am in the process of hooking up my vantage pro2 to my Mac. The way I udersand it is that I must use the data logger from Davis Weatherlink, even if I intend to use weather cat or weather snoop software. I just wasn't to make sure that the weather link is the ONLY way to get info to from my console to my Mac. Is there any third party data loggers out there? I understand that the weather link for Mac's are limited in the fact that they don't have as many feature as the windows version.

Also I have read that the weather link 6520. ( Mac) and the 6510USB are identical besides the software. So if I can find a 6510USB cheaper than a 6520 then I could buy it and download the current Mac software from the Davis web site for free. Am I correct on this?

I want to use weather cat or most likely weather snoop as my software and I want to upload my station to weather underground. Am I on track with everything you've just read?

Thanks in advance

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
Re: Weather link / Mac question.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
I see this is an old post so I hope my info helps you. I just received and installed the Vantage Vue USB data logger for my iMac. I had to make a call to Davis but they are friendly and helpful so all went well. You have to be sure to set it up for a 32 bit system. I'm using Weathercat and upload to WU, Weather for you and CWOP. I'm considering buying a meteobridge to avoid the computer.

Offline aware

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
I see this is an old post so I hope my info helps you. I just received and installed the Vantage Vue USB data logger for my iMac. I had to make a call to Davis but they are friendly and helpful so all went well. You have to be sure to set it up for a 32 bit system. I'm using Weathercat and upload to WU, Weather for you and CWOP. I'm considering buying a meteobridge to avoid the computer.

So you were able to get the USB Data Logger from Davis (customer service) without getting/paying for Weatherlink?

If so, do you mind me asking how much the data logger alone was?

How are you liking Weathercat?

Austin

Offline captgadget

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
I will have to go back in my records if you'd like but I didn't order it from Davis. If you're setting it up on a mac weatherlink doesn't work anyway. I have pretty much switched all my stuff back to windows but when I was running mac WeatherCat is excellent.

Offline aware

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »
No need to go back and pull your records.  I was just hoping I wouldn't have to pay for bad software that I neither want or need.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 01:27:33 PM »
The logger comes with Weatherlink software.  Sorta free.  And you are getting its value.  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything