Author Topic: WI-FI weather station with desktop display  (Read 3376 times)

Offline lee331

WI-FI weather station with desktop display
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
I've had a couple of the La Crosse home weather stations and they functioned ok for a while. But, the outside transmitting unit (referred to as the Thermo-hygro Sensor) only lasted a couple of months in both cases. Also, the little LCD base units were  hard to read in ambient room light. I'd much prefer some type of WI-FI (802.11 standard) sensor unit that could be connected via my wireless LAN and stream real time data to my PC. Temp, wind data, humidity, rain, etc could be displayed on a small desktop window with updates every couple of seconds. Setup would be similar to an IP security cam, probably requiring an ethernet connection.
The interface I/O and GUI software would be easy to write. Firmware for the sensing unit itself might be more of a challenge. I've seen some units that can connect via WI-FI and stream data over the internet, but this doesn't interest me. Is there anything in the works to develop something like I've described ?

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
Re: WI-FI weather station with desktop display
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
Lacrosse has or had something like what you describe.  It's called the weather club.  I have one of their devices hooked up to my router with the sensor outside in the backyard.  The display works fine but only provides you with your temp.  The WI-FI is now used to only pulled in your local forecast from the weather bank.  The missing part was that your data was suppose to show up on some sort of weather map available on the Internet.  It did work for awhile when I first bought it and then they let it got defunct.  Back last November I asked them for an update and received the following:

"We anticipate the return of a new and improved Weather Club in 2012.   Weather Club’s return to availability will be noted on the www.weatherdirect.com banner. "