Author Topic: My backyard cam in MN  (Read 6044 times)

Offline overlookcircle

• Overlook Circle Weather and Birds
My backyard cam in MN
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
I've had a StarDot netcam up for several years now, and just recently decided to upgrade from their entry-level cam to the NetCam SC 5 MP. The camera is aimed at my backyard bird feeders, but also provides a view of my backyard weather. I went with StarDot because it has an operating temperature range that can withstand Minnesota winters without the need for a heater. I got the SC for the infrared capability because I really want to see if I have anything interesting (flying squirrels, owls, Sasquatch?) coming to my feeders at night!

Another thing I like about StarDot (being a nerdy programmer) is that it runs an embedded Linux OS. I'm running Meteo hub to pull data from my weather station on a SheevaPlug (another tiny Linux device). So I wrote some shell scripts to take the raw weather data from the weather station, and overlay it on the image from my feedercam. I've got all those scripts published on my website in case anyone is interested.

I just set up the new camera yesterday, so it's not oriented perfectly yet (and I see the weather info isn't overlaying correctly at the moment either.)  This weekend I plan to put up an I/R illuminator and see how it works. I also want to look at live streaming, since the Netcam also produces H.264 video.

Here's a link to my camera: http://www.overlookcircle.org/?page_id=37.

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: My backyard cam in MN
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »
You done a great work, well done.

I really like your bird photos,
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
WOW, I love those bird pictures also. My goal is to catch a pileated in the yard. I head him in my woods but have never seen him.
I like the list of birds too. That's a great idea.

You put logs up for the birds too I see. You must make your own stuff for it? Mine is called chickadee pudding

Can't wait to see you cam during the day too  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:34:03 PM by CNYWeather »
Tony

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
WOW, I love those bird pictures also. My goal is to catch a pileated in the yard. I head him in my woods but have never seen him.
I like the list of birds too. That's a great idea.

You put logs up for the birds too I see. You must make your own stuff for it? Mine is called chickadee pudding

Can't wait to see you cam during the day too  :grin:

Thanks! If you have pileated WPs around already, then they should be pretty easy to attract. I can't take credit for making any of my feeders or the suet, I just buy stuff at my local bird store. My yard birds are extremely spoiled. ;) It's fun watching the pileated woodpeckers though. They are fairly tame, as long as I stay still I can sit out there and they will come to the feeders. In the spring they bring their young to the feeders and teach them how to navigate their way around.

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »

Thanks! I plan to spend some more time this year getting more photos.  :grin:

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Liz, the links in your sig don't work properly. They look to have a few extra characters tacked on the end. THe link in the thread works fine.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »
Liz, the links in your sig don't work properly. They look to have a few extra characters tacked on the end. THe link in the thread works fine.

Steve
I noticed that both of them are missing the colon in the beginning - http// instead of http://

I really like the resolution of the camera, it's great to see all the different birds around the feeders.  I did notice (at least on my computer) that the images will update once and then stop updating - I tried both the image on the page and also opening the image in a new window, both results were the same update once and stop.  Hopefully it's an easy fix if it's not just my machine.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »

Thanks! I plan to spend some more time this year getting more photos.  :grin:

How should one do to becoming a "certified wildlife habitate"?
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 06:47:39 PM »

Steve

Thanks for the heads up - the forum URL tag didn't seem to like the quotes I had in there, it's fixed now!

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »

I noticed that both of them are missing the colon in the beginning - http// instead of http://

I really like the resolution of the camera, it's great to see all the different birds around the feeders.  I did notice (at least on my computer) that the images will update once and then stop updating - I tried both the image on the page and also opening the image in a new window, both results were the same update once and stop.  Hopefully it's an easy fix if it's not just my machine.

Links are fixed now.  :grin:

The SC 5MP is a great camera so far. I have it uploading at 800x600 every 10 seconds. I like the clarity too - unfortunately it gives me a much better view of those house sparrows visiting my feeder (invasive species!)

I'm not sure about the image update - it's dark now so I will check tomorrow. I just changed it yesterday to update every 10 seconds instead of 15, seemed to work ok when viewing from my computer at work but I'll double check that to make sure when it's light out.

Speaking of it being dark ... I was going to try and put up my infrared illuminator today. When I opened the box I discovered there is no mounting hardware and no power supply. Also the specs online when I bought it said an operating temp down to -22F, but the specs in the document that comes with it say only -4F. Being in MN, I wanted something that could operate well below zero, so I might be returning it!

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »

How should one do to becoming a "certified wildlife habitate"?

It's a program run by the National Wildlife Federation. Basically just specifying a list of criteria that your yard must meet to be considered a good wildlife habitat. Perhaps they have something similar in your country.

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:52 PM »
Here's some video I just recorded from the NetCam. I don't see a way to embed video here, so here's a link to the YouTube I uploaded. It's a 2 minutes video that shows some woodpeckers and chickadees, and you can see it's a nice sunny day here on Overlook Circle!

http://youtu.be/Ivsb5-u2a1Y

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
Here's an example screen capture from my camera. Three species of woodpecker in one view! Regarding weather, my wind chill value is pretty useless since the anemometer is located in such a poor location. I'm going to try and elevate it at some point, but in the meantime I think I'll overlay the dew point value instead, which would likely be more interesting.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:14 AM »
Liz,

Any suggestions on keeping grackles, sparrow, and especially gangs of starlings from the feeders? They seem to eat anything, so once the starlings show up, we leave the feeders empty a few days until they move on. Repeat ad infinitum...

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »
One of the feeders like Liz has with the wire cage around it may work Steve.
Starlings aren't very agile and may have a hard time getting up inside the feeder to get the seed.

I've got logs similar to those that the starlings have a hard time staying on, instead of putting out blocks of suet.
Starlings are a big pain in the but and make a disgusting mess too.
Tony

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »
Liz,

Any suggestions on keeping grackles, sparrow, and especially gangs of starlings from the feeders? They seem to eat anything, so once the starlings show up, we leave the feeders empty a few days until they move on. Repeat ad infinitum...

Steve

Yes, there are a few things you can do to discourage undesirable/invasive species (grackles and blackbirds are native, house sparrows and starlings are not.)

One is to put out food that they don't like. Apparently safflower is bitter, and many birds don't like it, but cardinals and other desirable birds do. So that's a strategy. Also make sure you're not putting out cheap food with millet or cracked corn (that attracts sparrows.) 

Another is to use the caged feeders which will keep out larger birds like grackles and starlings, but allow smaller birds like chickadees and nuthatches in.

For suet, use upside down suet feeders - woodpeckers and nuthatches have no problem with that. My suet logs can be hung horizontally or vertically, and even the pileated woodpeckers will use it upside down.

Notice that I have domes on top of all my feeders, that's to keep undesirables from sitting on top and gaining access that way!

Regarding sparrows - the only undesirable sparrow is the non-native invasive house sparrow. There are many other native sparrows that will eat at feeders, so make sure you encourage the good ones. ;)

Hopefully that helps!

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks Tony and Liz,

I hadn't noticed that the feeders were the type with the cage around them. Those are nice! ours are an assortment of feeders that we've bought over the years, or that the girls have given Mrs Avon-Weather, so most are inexpensive or decorative more than functional.

Yesterday I turned our SkyCam around toward the feeders as a Bird Cam. I did this last winter, too, as Ohio's skies rarely vary from gray over the winter. Not nearly the quality of Liz's, and due to our siting, it looks WSW, so the sun is a problem during the afternoons. I've increased the brightness and contrast to offset the underexposure, but it is still a so-so image. Clicking on the photo on the web page brings up a larger image, but it is late in the afternoon now, so not sure how it will look.

We use nyjer thistle for the finches, a premium woodpecker mix, and a premium cardinal/chickadee mix, neither with milo, millet, or corn. Plus cut fruit, peanut butter logs, and suet cakes. Plus we have holly, juniper, spruce,grasses and assorted other seed/fruiting plants in our yard.

I like adding a running list of birds in (or seen from) the backyard for the season with the BirdCam. My running life and yard list don't represent today, as we've changed a lot over the years.

Thanks again,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline Jeff

• MansfieldWeather
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »
It's nice that you put the sign up for the birds, so they know they are in the best place!
......   Just kidding of course!

I really like your photos too, and the cam is excellent! 

Thanks for sharing.

J.

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks Tony and Liz,

I hadn't noticed that the feeders were the type with the cage around them. Those are nice! ours are an assortment of feeders that we've bought over the years, or that the girls have given Mrs Avon-Weather, so most are inexpensive or decorative more than functional.

Yesterday I turned our SkyCam around toward the feeders as a Bird Cam. I did this last winter, too, as Ohio's skies rarely vary from gray over the winter. Not nearly the quality of Liz's, and due to our siting, it looks WSW, so the sun is a problem during the afternoons. I've increased the brightness and contrast to offset the underexposure, but it is still a so-so image. Clicking on the photo on the web page brings up a larger image, but it is late in the afternoon now, so not sure how it will look.

We use nyjer thistle for the finches, a premium woodpecker mix, and a premium cardinal/chickadee mix, neither with milo, millet, or corn. Plus cut fruit, peanut butter logs, and suet cakes. Plus we have holly, juniper, spruce,grasses and assorted other seed/fruiting plants in our yard.

I like adding a running list of birds in (or seen from) the backyard for the season with the BirdCam. My running life and yard list don't represent today, as we've changed a lot over the years.

Thanks again,
Steve

I like the idea of of a daily bird list, I might have to add that!

You do have a nice feeder setup. I'd suggest replacing the suet feeders you have with upside down versions. And regarding caged feeders, Duncraft makes several different types.

My camera is pointed ENE, so sometimes the sun is an issue in the morning. This spring I'm thinking of positioning the camera a little higher so it's pointed at a slightly more downward angle. Also I have a huge sun shield on it, which I think helps.

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
It's nice that you put the sign up for the birds, so they know they are in the best place!
......   Just kidding of course!

I really like your photos too, and the cam is excellent! 

Thanks for sharing.

J.

Yes, I think the sign definitely attracts more birds.  :lol:

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
You do have a nice feeder setup. I'd suggest replacing the suet feeders you have with upside down versions. And regarding caged feeders, Duncraft makes several different types.

Thanks! Oddly enough, today when we were at our local gardening/bird seed store, I saw an upside down suet feeder for the first time. I had to ask what it was. It was on the sale table, and made for one of those huge suet cakes, but I didn't check the price. I might go back tomorrow and pick it up!

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
That is pretty cool!
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »

Thanks! Oddly enough, today when we were at our local gardening/bird seed store, I saw an upside down suet feeder for the first time. I had to ask what it was. It was on the sale table, and made for one of those huge suet cakes, but I didn't check the price. I might go back tomorrow and pick it up!

Thanks,
Steve

I went back and picked it up this morning. I passed on the $4.99 giant suet cakes, and putting in two $0.79 ones instead. I also picked up another back of woodpecker feed while it is 20% off.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »
Cool, I hope it works out for you! Post a photo when you have it up. ;)

I put these peanut flavor suet plugs in my logs. My woodpeckers are ridiculously spoiled and won't eat anything else now (I've tried cheaper substitutes.) As I mentioned, I put domes on all the feeders, including the suet log, so birds can't sit on top. Crows especially used to do that, to gain access to the suet (and they can go through a lot of it FAST!) Right now I'm watching crows launching themselves from the ground to at least get a bite ... ugh.

Offline overlookcircle

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I'm still working on a live streaming solution. I thought my camera had h.264 available, but I didn't realize that the NetCam SC has a different model for that. So I only have MJPEG right now, which updates the image about every 6 seconds. No reason to pay an arm and a leg for streaming that when I can do my own ftp upload every 10 seconds for free. So my new nerdy project is to set up a dedicated Linux box (mini PC, ZOTAC ZBOX Intel Atom D525 1.8 GHz to be specific) to run VLC which should be able to re-encode the MJPEG into h.264 and then hopefully my streaming will work!

anything