Author Topic: Interested in joining GLOBE  (Read 46208 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Interested in joining GLOBE
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
I would like to join the GLOBE program to provide my station data to you. How do I go about doing it?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
Re: Interested in joining GLOBE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »
Aardvark is a member of that program and if you don't hear from him soon on this forum, try a PM and I'm sure he'll be glad to help.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
I have awakened from the vast pile of papers, reports and stuff for school.

Globe.. 
I'd go to their site and look around, there is a "join" tab and go from there.
http://globe.gov/

I have Weatherdisplay automatically send my data every 6 hours, although weatherlink will do it for any length of time, but you have to do it manually.

What I got to do was , there was an Iowa Academy of Science meeting in town (I am a member)  and they were offering the training.  SO I went , took about an hour ,  I signed up, eventually was contacted by the local office and then I got my user ID and password.

I would go first to their site.  then.. send an email to:  help@globe.gov   and ask them what the procedure would be for your particular situation.

this is me:  http://www.globe.gov/web/dsmweather

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »
Do they have a map similar to CWOP/MesoWest or Wundermap...etc that displays participating weather sites?
Bill

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Aardvark-that is your personal station, not your school station- Correct?

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »
yes, my station.   That was understood. 
Globe is a international project that submits all sorts of data from weather to contrails counting.  For example, did you know that there are over 5,000 planes in the air at sometime (sum total, not all at the same time).  These high altitude planes produce contrails, artificial clouds  which do reflect sunlight back out into space.  SO... the do have such a program.

It is to accumulate data and make it available to researchers around the world including kids  doing high end scientific projects.

I went through the training and although I am listed as a school, they know I am not.

IF  the person interested is looking for a "glory site", some place to post their data then this isn't the place.  It is a scientific and percise procedure.  The data has to be accurate.  Glove.gov  checks it for accuracy and will send it back if something is wrong.

As suggested by mulitple posts... I suggest that person contact help@globe.gov  and ask away.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
FWIW, I inquired about GLOBE back in May.

First of all, it took from inquiry on 12 April until 24 May to get the first response from them, a form email that they were forwarding my inquiry to the right person.

Then, I got this reply...

Thank you for contacting us in regards to providing us weather data being collected via your service.  Your service does sound like an easy way for people to get there Davis weather instrument data on line.  At this time we do not have an API that allows for uploading of data to us other than via email.  However, if you have the ability of us pulling the data via an XML feed we could then ingest it into our database.

There is another requirement.  The only weather data we will ingest will be from a school that is what we call a "GLOBE school".  This is a school that has a teacher that was trained in the science protocols of GLOBE.  The school/teacher that intends on disseminating their weather station data to you will also know if they are a GLOBE school.  We will need to know the name of that school, the atmospheric site name/id they set up through us, and the URL to XML feed you provide in order to ingest the data.  The data should also be in metric units.

To get a rough idea of the elements we ingest please browse our email data entry instructions and note the section on Davis Instruments.  http://classic.globe.gov/hq/templ.cgi?emaildatanew&lang=en#DAVAD  This way you can be sure your XML feed provides at least this data.

I suggest contacting the person back that said they would like to have you upload their schools weather data to GLOBE and have them contact us too so we can get their school name and atmospheric site information.

So, it appears that you need to be associated with a school to submit data...

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
So, it appears that you need to be associated with a school to submit data...

That is pretty much the impression I got when I looked into Globe sometime ago.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:02 PM »
and right now, that is what Iam.   I teach Physics and Earth Science.

Offline livefeed

• Lusby Live!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »
I would like to send my data but not sure what group ID to use within WeatherLink.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:02 AM »
By the way, I'm in the process of finally getting to join GLOBE. Earth Networks is doing some GLOBE integration stuff coming up (we have a couple of product overviews about STEM on the Earth Networks website). I'm also going to be teaching monthly webinars on STEM, weather, and GLOBE for those interested.
Nathan Parker

Offline livefeed

• Lusby Live!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »
@parkernathan I am interested - I want to get my data to as many places possible.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
@parkernathan I am interested - I want to get my data to as many places possible.

Send me a PM and I can give you my email address.

In the meantime, GLOBE mentioned something about a new GLOBE Observer Account/App that citizens who don't complete the GLOBE Educator training can use to send observations to GLOBE. I don't have all the details on that yet but asking about it.
Nathan Parker

anything