Author Topic: whos-online Maps Don't Display  (Read 865 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
whos-online Maps Don't Display
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »
I had a gigabit up and down fiber optic broadband connection installed earlier this year and I've been fiddling around for the past month or so seeing if I could set up a self-hosted site on a Lenovo Server X3100 M5 purchased on the cheap from Newegg as an 'open box'.  It's basically a learning exercise and challenge to get my own Debian Jessie Linux system up and running with exactly the same data as is on my GoDaddy site.  It also doesn't yet use SSL so it runs those scripts 'forbidden' by SSL on my GoDaddy site.

There were two persistent problems I faced.  The first was setting up cron jobs to populate the log files for Jim McMurray's 'Forecast Compare' script.  This morning I finally succeeded in setting up a shell script(s) that worked, and the log files are now in the process of being populated.  Until 24 hours have passed the log files will display errors, but as of now the 2pm log is populated.  The shell examples I found were all too complicated for this simple task, and the final script(s) are very spartan.  Without the script(s) the updates wouldn't run.  Here is one of the scripts:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
# based loosely on the generic bash script for gen-BO-maps.php.  K. True - saratoga-weather.org
# Version 1.00 - 18-Apr-2015 - initial release
#
# --- begin settings
# set HDIR to full file path to BOmaps directory on your website
HDIR=(full path to the site's root directory)

# set PHPcmd to full path to PHP V5+ on your host
cmd=/usr/bin/wget

# --- end settings
#
cd $HDIR
cmd -U 'chromium' '(my new site)/forecast-compare-include.php?log&config=5a'
#
I've hidden some parameters for security reasons in the first instance and to keep people from running the guts of the script and messing up the data in the second instance.

Anyway, the second problem has me stumped!  I've gotten all of the errors cleared out of the 'console' and the page validates, but I still can't get any maps to display! :-(  It seems as though
Code: [Select]
echo get_whos_online_worldmap($map_settings);in 'whos-online-maps.php' doesn't display the background map but does display the pins.

Any thoughts, other than 'Why are you doing this???' :-)

Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline 96Cobra

Re: whos-online Maps Don't Display
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:58:26 AM »
Did you ever figure out the whos online map issue?  I just set this up for my site, and I'm having the same issue, I've got a large open area with pins, but no map background.  Also, any idea where I can find the latest version since the creator isn't updating it anymore? 

Thanks,
Roger
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:44:56 AM by 96Cobra »

Offline ea1hmy

• Contributor
    • meteotorrelavega
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34649.msg352243#msg352243

I hope it serves you like my
a greeting
Emilio
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:55:59 AM by ea1hmy »

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:30:45 PM »

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34649.msg352243#msg352243

I hope it serves you like my
a greeting
Emilio

Thanks for the update, just reinstalled this plugin due to PHP errors recently and now have a working Whos Online!

Thanks again.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline 96Cobra

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the help!  It's working perfectly now!

anything