Author Topic: Envoy8x, Wunderground and CWOP  (Read 6907 times)

Offline mcpell

Envoy8x, Wunderground and CWOP
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
This is my first post to this forum!

I had a LaCrosse WS2315 weatherstation that I connected to my computer and used Cumulus for a while.  I uploaded my data to wunderground.com and cwop as well as my personal web site.  The station died and I replaced it with a Davis Vantage Pro2 6153.  I acquired an Envoy8x as well since I wanted the console to be in one location and my computer in another.

Unfortunately, what I realized is that the Envoy8x neither has the ability to work with the WeatherLink software nor other weather station software.  While I haven't written code in a while, I am a software developer by trade and rather than sending the envoy8x back I decided to write my own software.  I have figured out how to upload to wunderground.com as well as CWOP.  I am posting this to make others aware such that if you are interested I can send you my code.  

The nice thing about the Envoy8x is that it writes everything to a database.  I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 database that I've got the data being logged to and so the code, written in C#, is designed to work with a SQL Server database.  I have two chunks of code.  The first is a CLR Trigger written for SQL so that when a new row of data is added to the database it gets uploaded to wunderground.  The other is a simple console app that runs using the windows task scheduler every five minutes, grabs the latest record from the database and uploads it to CWOP.

I created a custom view along with some custom functions to generate some of the data required for these services like rainfall over last hour, last day, last 24 hours, etc.

Has anyone else done any work with the Envoy8x?  I'm probably going to start working on a client application to do the tradition charting/graphing stuff.

Enjoy,
McP
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:42:19 PM by mcpell »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Envoy 8x, Wunderground and CWOP
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
I'm sure there are some people here on this forum that understand what you're saying.  But, welcome anyways and enjoy your stay!  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mcpell

Re: Envoy8x, Wunderground and CWOP
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
Since this was the Station Software Development forum I figured I didn't need to do to much explaining.  That said, for the benefit of others...

• C# is a programming language that leverages the Microsoft.NET Framework.  It is a hybrid of Java and C++ from a syntax standpoint.
  • SQL Server 2008 R2 is Microsofts current relational database.  The WeatherLink Data Transfer Utility (WDTU) from Davis can write to MS Access, MySQL and SQL Server.
  • A trigger is a chunk of code that can run when a new row of data is inserted, updated, deleted, etc from a database.  The CLR, or Common Language Runtime, is Microsoft's runtime that code written for the .NET Framework executes within.  While triggers are traditionally written in T-SQL language a CLR trigger is written in C#, VB.NET or any other CLR language and allows you access to the full breadth of functions/syntax of the framework.
  • A console application is a traditional command line application that doesn't have a user interface.

Hopefully I hit on those things that wouldn't be understood by the majority of folks.

Enjoy,
McP
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:42:34 PM by mcpell »

Offline nolversteeg

• meteoeersel
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »
Hello McP,

You are doing a great job. I'm struggling wit the envoy8x too and so far its working all written in PHP and SQL, but my knowledge of writing software is minimum, so it cost a lot of computer time to build up my website every minute, I think that you are the first to write software for the 8x I was trying to get the service maintenance manual from Davis but they don't have it yet.

so I'm very interested in the software. for giving me a kick in the right direction.

Thank's in advance.

www.meteoeersel.nl
nolversteeg@chello.nl

Offline nolversteeg

• meteoeersel
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:17:45 AM »
Hello McP,

What I forgot to tell is that there is a new software release for the WDU it has a build in task scheduler .

greetings Nol

Offline mcpell

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
I am using what I believe to be the latest WDTU software available here:
http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/index.asp

Where is the task scheduler?  What I believe they added to the current version is the ability for the software to automatically download from the datalogger on a defined interval and therefore automatically insert rows into the DB.  Other than that I am not aware of any task scheduler.

What I didn't make clear in my first post is that anyone should feel free to PM me and I'll send them relevant code.

I noticed something weird the other day...  Even if you have your units set in the WDTU interface to show wind speed as mph it seems to record it in the database in km/h.  I emailed Davis support, but haven't heard back from them...

McP
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:42:46 PM by mcpell »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
You should put the code up on SourceForge
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mcpell

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
Great idea!  I'm more familiar with codeplex (similar to sourceforge) and put it up there.

http://threepineeswxutil.codeplex.com/

Enjoy,
McP

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
Sweet!  Thanks!!!!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nolversteeg

• meteoeersel
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
Hello McP,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I mend was the automatic download, I used the envoy8x for 3/4 year and did the download with a task scheduler for the F4 function. i,m using km/h in the interface and all the values in the database are not metric, so I have all to calculate all the values , I found your codes and downloaded them ,so I can play with it

many thanks
Nol Versteeg

Offline Singa

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:02:40 AM »
Yes WDTU softwre work well, yes be good have more software to work with

Offline Dany79snow

• Meteogardolo Trento Italy
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 05:29:27 AM »
Great idea!  I'm more familiar with codeplex (similar to sourceforge) and put it up there.

http://threepineeswxutil.codeplex.com/

Enjoy,
McP

it's possible upload data with 8x datalogger?can you tell me how to use your programs?

thanks
2 Mobotix Webcams
radiosonde by davis with long range up to 9,5km
24hr daytime and fans
Term 3 /hygro optional