Author Topic: Faulty VP2 console?  (Read 12682 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Faulty VP2 console?
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2016, 09:07:54 PM »
I have two VP2 consoles with none of Tina's problems AND they are old--pre April 2006 so my firmware can only be upgraded to version 1.9!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
I guess if Davis doesn't respond you could try reinstalling the firmware, I assume it's possible it could have been corrupted.  Even then you may have to clear the console to get all readings back to normal and to be sure if the problem clears.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:00:19 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Faulty VP2 console?
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
SnowHiker has a good suggestion, but a follow up email to Davis support might be a better one--assuming they respond!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:47:25 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »
SnowHiker has a good suggestion, but a follow up email to Davis support might be a better one--assuming they respond!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't had a response from them.
Now my anemometer has failed!  #-o

If i'm brutally honest, I find Davis' customer service to be awful! - I had a Vantage Vue a few years ago, and something went wrong on it a few weeks in. The shop I bought it from changed hands in that time, they would not sort it out without paying quite a bit of money. I emailed Davis, and they told me they couldn't do anything.
I'm pretty fed up!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
I have found Davis support better if you talk on the phone rather than email. Is that possible for you? If I recall right, you are not in the US making a phone call not a viable option, right?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »
I have found Davis support better if you talk on the phone rather than email. Is that possible for you? If I recall right, you are not in the US making a phone call not a viable option, right?

I see it as a pointless exercise phoning them. What can they do? If I've got a faulty anemometer, they're not likely to send me one. I've contacted the retailer in Germany (waiting to hear back) but even then, how do I know this isn't going to happen again? For something that is less than two months old, I find it incredibly poor!
I've already read a post about someone getting through two anemometers in two years- that's outrageous! I had a station that was under £100 last for five years.  :mad:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2016, 09:29:43 PM »
I don't want to defend Davis but you must not generalize

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »
What is wrong with the anny?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2016, 06:43:00 AM »
What is wrong with the anny?

The direction was stuck at North for over 3 hours. It's working again this morning, but I'm worried it's going to go pear shaped again. I'm going to take it down later (a bit of a task) and check the screw that holds the wind vane on.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »

8 days later, and still no reply.
An email was sent a while before that as well..  =D>

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
I agree, It's way better to call them. They have never responded to my emails either, but were very helpful on the phone.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2016, 05:43:50 PM »
   Mapantz.....you are in England, so Davis in California is going to tell you to call whoever you bought from IN England/Europe. Proven fact.....once Davis sells to overseas distributors, THOSE people are responsible, not the folks in Hayward, CA. Call/email the people that sold everything to you. You are wasting your time to contact Davis directly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:48:36 PM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline desrae20

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2016, 12:48:35 AM »
Hi, I have an issue that may be related.
Only had my station since the beginning of this month.
I suspect my rain gauge on the VantagePro2 is reading a little under. I compare it with a manual standard gauge sighted along side the Davis.
I tried altering the daily Rain value on the console as per the set function key and it all seemed ok with the Monthly figure increasing.
The problem is that it appears that the addition value that I added is not being transferred through to the WeatherLink data base.
My iphone app shows the altered rain figure and so does the Weatherlink web page, but the downloaded database on WeatherLink only shows the original tipper figure.
A bit strange, any ideas thanks,
Des

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2016, 01:23:05 AM »
Hi, I have an issue that may be related.
Only had my station since the beginning of this month.
I suspect my rain gauge on the VantagePro2 is reading a little under. I compare it with a manual standard gauge sighted along side the Davis.
I tried altering the daily Rain value on the console as per the set function key and it all seemed ok with the Monthly figure increasing.
The problem is that it appears that the addition value that I added is not being transferred through to the WeatherLink data base.
My iphone app shows the altered rain figure and so does the Weatherlink web page, but the downloaded database on WeatherLink only shows the original tipper figure.
A bit strange, any ideas thanks,
Des
Hi Des,

I may have misunderstood when I referred you to this thread.  From your other post;
Hi,
I have just set up my Vantage Pro 2 at the beginning of this month.
My month rain total on the console says 14mm, my iphone app says 14 mm, the weatherlink summary says 14mm ,but on Weatherlink "browse you rain database" it only shows 12.4mm for the month.
I also looked at the plots for rain for today on Weatherlink and the graphs seem to only show a total of 3mm but the console and app show a total of 5.6 for the day.
Can anyone please shed some light on why this is.
Thanks,
Des
it sounded similar to this thread to me, now it sounds it may just be an issue with the way you're inputting data?

Significantly under reporting rainfall seems as if it may be common on new stations for some reason.  I don't know why, but I can't remember anyone complaining that their Davis station is over reporting, but many complaints about under reporting.  The gauge can be calibrated, you can find advice here and in the manual.

I don't think that editing data on the console updates the software, but it's been so long since I've tried someone can correct me, or you may want to experiment to verify.  If the record for the time period has already been downloaded from the console, I don't believe the console can change it, it only downloads new records since last download and doesn't change previous records.  I only edit through the software "browse database" section, and then it verifies if you want to update the rain database when you save it, and then I think your WL graph should agree with the Browse Database data, I don't think it changes the console.  I don't have a clue about iphones.

Offline desrae20

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2016, 02:04:32 AM »
Hi Again,
Just reiterating,  I alter the Daily Rain total on the console and that is reflected correctly on the MO total  and also on the station readout the is available on a iphone app and the WeatherLink web page (http://www.weatherlink.com/ for my station)
It does not seem to be added to the WeatherLink data base.
I have also manually edited this overall data base and on exiting it says do you want to update rain database too.
I select to update but when I look at the rain data base the Monthly Min, Max & Av for the month figures are far from correct in reflecting the changes I made to the overall database.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
When you update or correct the rainfall on the console, you need to manually make the change in the Weatherlink software. Why? Ask Davis!  It is fairly easy to do so not a big deal, but for the price we are paying for the hardware, software and data logger, you think it would fix itself once corrected on the console.  What is interesting I had to manually change my rainfall totals a few days ago, and CWOP does not reflect the changes, but Weather Underground does! Go figure.

Offline desrae20

« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
Hi
Thanks for your response.
Yes it is no big deal, strange that the data sent to Weathlink web page and Iphone is different to that recorded on database.
The only issue I had with manually altering the overall database is that these changes gave unexplained result to the rain database, max min and av, so I altered them manually too.
Now I am aware I will take necessary alterations
Thanks again
Des

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »

Did Davis ever respond and is your issue resolved?

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »

Nobody got back to me, hardly a surprise though.

The issue still exists. To clarify, if I go in to the Hi/Low part, and click back one day at a time, I get to August 25th, showing 30.7 °C
However, if I click the Hi/Low of the year, it shows 30.5 °C as being my high.

I don't want to start up the age old argument of 'rounding' again, but that is shameful to show two different temperatures on an overpriced weather station, albeit .2 of a degree difference.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »

Nobody got back to me, hardly a surprise though.

The issue still exists. To clarify, if I go in to the Hi/Low part, and click back one day at a time, I get to August 25th, showing 30.7 °C
However, if I click the Hi/Low of the year, it shows 30.5 °C as being my high.

I don't want to start up the age old argument of 'rounding' again, but that is shameful to show two different temperatures on an overpriced weather station, albeit .2 of a degree difference.

I agree. Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your console? I checked my high low feature on my console and it does some weird things too, but my console is so old, and no more firmware updates are being issued for old consoles, I am not surprised with my results. If you have a fairly recent console with the latest firmware and still get your error, you should contact Brett Lane, Davis' lead support person. His email is brettl@davisnet.com. I would think rounding errors should not occur, but if they do, a firmware patch would likely fix it.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »

I agree. Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your console? I checked my high low feature on my console and it does some weird things too, but my console is so old, and no more firmware updates are being issued for old consoles, I am not surprised with my results. If you have a fairly recent console with the latest firmware and still get your error, you should contact Brett Lane, Davis' lead support person. His email is brettl@davisnet.com. I would think rounding errors should not occur, but if they do, a firmware patch would likely fix it.

I've got 3.15 installed, which is the latest. I initially emailed Brian about the issue, and he said that it seemed like a bug and that he would pass it on to the engineers to have a look at.
I've emailed him twice since, asking for any latest information, and I never got a reply back, so i gave up. I've never rated their customer service, even when I had Vantage Vue issues. The original seller didn't want to know, and said to contact Davis, and they didn't want to know either.
There's no point in contacting the original seller in this case, as it's problem with the firmware, so it's down to Davis. It seems, unless you live in the US, you have two hopes of getting help from Davis, bob hope, and no hope!  :roll:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »

I've got 3.15 installed, which is the latest. I initially emailed Brian about the issue, and he said that it seemed like a bug and that he would pass it on to the engineers to have a look at.
I've emailed him twice since, asking for any latest information, and I never got a reply back, so i gave up. I've never rated their customer service, even when I had Vantage Vue issues. The original seller didn't want to know, and said to contact Davis, and they didn't want to know either.
There's no point in contacting the original seller in this case, as it's problem with the firmware, so it's down to Davis. It seems, unless you live in the US, you have two hopes of getting help from Davis, bob hope, and no hope!  :roll:

At least you have a sense of humor about this. Fortunately in the grand scheme of things, you probably would have to agree your issue is not "critical" but you are right, for what we are paying Davis for, errors, even if minor, should not occur on expensive equipment whether used in the USA or elsewhere.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »

At least you have a sense of humor about this. Fortunately in the grand scheme of things, you probably would have to agree your issue is not "critical" but you are right, for what we are paying Davis for, errors, even if minor, should not occur on expensive equipment whether used in the USA or elsewhere.

I was more angry at the beginning, when I first got the station, but as time has gone by, the station has depreciated in value, so i feel less inclined to worry about it - worse things happen at sea!
Obviously you can tell, I use my weather site for keeping the logged data, but it's just nice to glance through the console itself and see the data, just a shame it is not consistent  :lol:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »
Quote from Mapantz:

I was more angry at the beginning, when I first got the station, but as time has gone by, the station has depreciated in value, so i feel less inclined to worry about it - worse things happen at sea!
Obviously you can tell, I use my weather site for keeping the logged data, but it's just nice to glance through the console itself and see the data, just a shame it is not consistent .

Wheaton Ron:

Depreciated in value? But you are having fun, that is the most important thing! :grin:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:16:40 PM by WheatonRon »