Author Topic: Grouncover question  (Read 466 times)

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
Grouncover question
« on: July 28, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
Not sure where to place this topic as it doesn't fit in any of the other categories. So here goes.
First off I own a Davis VP2 with FARS. The ISS is currently sited 5.5 feet over grass/weeds. We have had quite a lot of rain lately which got me thinking, the grass underneath is very saturated and with the summer sun and light to no wind my humidity/dew point values are through the roof. At one time yesterday my dew point was a full 10 degrees above local ASOS. In full disclosure, my vp2 humidity sensor does have the infamous wet bias which is why I am trying to eliminate as many variables as possible. This leads me to my question, would placing a decorative white rock under the ISS help to reduce humidity/ dew point values? I was thinking about a 4 foot square.
I've noticed some pictures of ASOS stations with rock underneath the sensors. I would assume they know what they are doing. What do you think?
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
Re: Grouncover question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:42:25 PM »
From what I’ve been told, some started using dark stone because it was easier to upkeep around the sensor suite. Some NWS complained about it and many of those went over to white stone instead.

If your yard is drowning the higher dews may be real. Grow grass and ditch the thought of stone.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
I would leave it where it's at. Proper installation is supposed to be over grass at the  level you have. I assume that the area around the sensor is also cut on a regular basis. Keeping the grass low enables the the sun to dry out the area as opposed to area's with tall grass where the sun's penetration doesn't get down as far.
Also remember, you want the sensor to reflect the readings in your area. Not an ASOS station farther away. Those stations have optimal siting advantages that we as home owners don't usually have. I get the wet bias problem but you can only do so much with what you have. Eventually the summer rains will slow down and things will get back to normal.

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
I would leave it where it's at. Proper installation is supposed to be over grass at the  level you have. I assume that the area around the sensor is also cut on a regular basis. Keeping the grass low enables the the sun to dry out the area as opposed to area's with tall grass where the sun's penetration doesn't get down as far.
Also remember, you want the sensor to reflect the readings in your area. Not an ASOS station farther away. Those stations have optimal siting advantages that we as home owners don't usually have. I get the wet bias problem but you can only do so much with what you have. Eventually the summer rains will slow down and things will get back to normal.

Yeah, I've decided to leave well enough alone. I keep the grass quite low around the ISS, guess I'll stop trying to overthink the situation. You are also correct in saying that things will get back to normal. Thanks!
FYI, today we are experiencing a breeze out of the NE resulting in just a 3 degree dew point difference between my station and our local ASOS, KINT.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:22:48 AM by drew1021 »
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7