Author Topic: Better late than never: my review of the Atlas  (Read 1221 times)

Offline HalifaxWeatherStation

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
Better late than never: my review of the Atlas
« on: March 24, 2019, 07:30:58 AM »
I wrote this review in January and intended to put together a video at the same time, but have not had the time to edit it yet, so here's the text version:
https://www.sharedweather.com/acurite-atlas-review/

I was frustrated that a lot of existing reviews (mostly by tech sites) seemed to be very superficial, so I tried to me more detailed and thorough. Let me know your thoughts!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Better late than never: my review of the Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
I liked reading your review and agreed with pretty much everything you stated. Set up for me was straight forward and quick, although I was replacing an existing 5-N-1 station and knew what to expect. I like the Access’s rapid fire to Weather Underground and MyAcuRite.com & app are nice.

My negative are:
  • Temperature runs high but only on “sunny” direct sunlight days. Otherwise the nightly and cloudy day temperatures are spot on.
  • Had to calibrate the rain gauge, mine was reporting low.
  • Hate the rolling rain totals shown on the HD display (24hr, 48hr., 72 hr., 2 week). I only want a daily (24 hr.) total! Not sure who thought the rolling totals were a good idea.
  • HD display has a rounding problem for the daily High/ Low temperatures (rounds everything up to the next digit for the daily high, and everything down for daily low).
I attribute my higher than normal temperatures to the lower angle of the sun for my Minnesota latitude hitting the solar panels and causing the fan not to start running as quickly and fast as it should. I also notice a temperature spike with the early and late evening sunlight.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for posting!

My negative are:
  • Temperature runs high but only on “sunny” direct sunlight days. Otherwise the nightly and cloudy day temperatures are spot on.
I attribute my higher than normal temperatures to the lower angle of the sun for my Minnesota latitude hitting the solar panels and causing the fan not to start running as quickly and fast as it should. I also notice a temperature spike with the early and late evening sunlight.

That's really disappointing to hear. You're describing the behavior of my (single panel) 5in1 exactly. I was hoping the Atlas completely solved this issue. What's your latitude? I'm at approx. 47.6 N.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »

My negative are:

That's really disappointing to hear. You're describing the behavior of my (single panel) 5in1 exactly. I was hoping the Atlas completely solved this issue. What's your latitude? I'm at approx. 47.6 N.
Eagan, Mn is at 44.8041° N, 93.1669° W

I have both the Atlas and 5-N-1 mounted on the same pole but at different heights. The Atlas is better and outperforms the 5-N-1 but both will read 2-3 degrees higher when in direct sunlight. At times there will be a short spike where my Atlas reports 6-7 degrees higher than it should be, I don't know why but it does. Todays high was 53, but my Atlas reported a high of 58.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »
There must be some issue with the fan motor. Mine has never had spikes, and is always spot on temperature wise.

Offline HalifaxWeatherStation

• Acurite Atlas
    • Acurite Atlas @ WU
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
I have not noticed any spikes here. Granted, it's been cold for the entire time I've had it, but the temperatures have remained steady and in line with the local government station.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
No temp problems with my 2 production Atlas setups.

I had no temp problems with the beta and field test units, either.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »

My negative are:

Eagan, Mn is at 44.8041° N, 93.1669° W
Todays high was 53, but my Atlas reported a high of 58.
If I assume correctly, you're judging your temp compared to KMSP, which you're just due south of, and had an actual high of 54F. If you're unaware, ASOS's use a temperature averaging algorithm so "actual" highs will often be lower than PWS's, which report raw data only. So 4F isn't necessarily so bad, but only if the sun was out. If it was an overcast day, then you may have issues.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »
The air temp has to remain a certain value for a set amount of time before it is considered an "official" reading I believe... when you are looking at ASOS sites. My nearest typically runs warmer at night by several degrees, and cooler by day. It is also sitting right on the water!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:17 PM »
The air temp has to remain a certain value for a set amount of time before it is considered an "official" reading I believe...
Yes. Peaks outside the parameter are disregarded.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
I’ll share my “general” observations for direct sunlight:
  • Early morning (Sunlight – 11:00): Temps are fine until direct sunlight hits station. Temps spike by +4 degrees and stay @ +4 until fan kicks in and hold temps @ +2 rest of the morning.
  • Mid-day (11:00 – 1:00): Temps hold @ +2, I will then sometimes (not always see a +6-7-degree spike which seems depended on light intensity. Temps return to +2 when outside temps catch up.
  • Afternoon (1:00 -nighttime): Holds @ +2 and slowly falls until it matches actual temp.
My problem seems related to the way sunlight is hitting the three solar panels. The occasional +6-7 spikes happens when the sun shines mostly on the center solar panel.

Does the fan run at a variable rate depending on the amount of sunlight hitting the solar panels?

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
Open the rain bucket and check the ribbon cable that connects the bucket to the main sensor housing. It can get pinched, and also be sure the connection is secure... WHen you close the rain bucket, make sure the cable is not crushed. It can be a little bit of a challenge to get it in there smooth while securing the rain bucket into place.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
Open the rain bucket and check the ribbon cable that connects the bucket to the main sensor housing. It can get pinched, and also be sure the connection is secure... WHen you close the rain bucket, make sure the cable is not crushed. It can be a little bit of a challenge to get it in there smooth while securing the rain bucket into place.
Good thing for me to check. I've opened the rain bucket 8-10 times to calibrated my rain gauge so there may be something wrong there.

After thinking about things a little bit more, my big temp spikes may be caused by tree branch shadows hitting the solar panels.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 10:53:40 AM »
I agree that seems excessive for the Atlas something is going on.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline radioman61

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
In reply to your comment about using weather underground in the review, I,m using Wunder Station on an iPad.  It updates like every 10-15 seconds.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:14:49 PM by radioman61 »