Author Topic: Spring/Summer '19  (Read 24270 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Spring/Summer '19
« Reply #300 on: August 02, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Flood watch out. Doesn't include Oklahoma City. Included is northeast and east central Oklahoma:

Effective: Fri, 8/2 2:00pm Updated: Fri, 8/2 4:00pm Urgency: Future
Expires: Sun, 8/4 2:50am Severity: Moderate Certainty: Possible

Details:

...Flooding Possible Tonight into Saturday...
...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY
AFTERNOON...
The National Weather Service in Norman has issued a
* Flood Watch for flash flooding...flooding of creeks and
rivers...and flooding of low lying areas for portions of central
Oklahoma, east central Oklahoma, northern Oklahoma, and
southeast Oklahoma
* From late this evening through Saturday afternoon.
* Heavy rainfall associated with widespread showers and
thunderstorms late this evening into Saturday.
* Avoid areas that normally flood during heavy rain and do not
drive into areas where water covers the road. Flooding is very
hard to see at night, so use extreme caution if you are
traveling at night.
Precautionary/preparedness actions...
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on
current forecasts.
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible
Flood Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be
prepared to take action should flooding develop.

Counties covered in green:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:20:50 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
As of noon in Oklahoma, rainfall amounts are concentrating in a very heavy way in a fairly narrow band between Oklahoma City and Tulsa or really more like stretching between  the Kansas and Texas borders.  The east side of Stillwater has gone over 2 inches.   But the west side hasn't even gotten to an inch.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
As of noon in Oklahoma, rainfall amounts are concentrating in a very heavy way in a fairly narrow band between Oklahoma City and Tulsa or really more like stretching between  the Kansas and Texas borders.  The east side of Stillwater has gone over 2 inches.   But the west side hasn't even gotten to an inch.
For those unaware that care, when rain/storms of this nature occur, it's called 'training'. Here's 200 frames of it.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=TLX-N0Q-1-200

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #303 on: August 03, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »
After griping about too much rain for too long, this was the first day I've had to water anything all summer.  Dumped close to 200 gallons on my fruit trees.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
Interesting how much of the Stillwater area missed the train, except for the east side.  Official amount was .89".

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
Ummm....  Scuuse Me?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPAH.html

:scratches head:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
Completely possible. The updates are only at one hour intervals, so in between the high occurred. Unfortunately you folks not in the western region can only get ASOS updates on the hour, we out west can get them every 5 minutes. Much more convenient for comparisons sake, let alone just simply more info.
Here's my home town example as you'll notice up top the selection available for 5 minute obs.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=twc&sid=KTUS&num=48

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
Completely possible. The updates are only at one hour intervals, so in between the high occurred. Unfortunately you folks not in the western region can only get ASOS updates on the hour, we out west can get them every 5 minutes. Much more convenient for comparisons sake, let alone just simply more info.
Here's my home town example as you'll notice up top the selection available for 5 minute obs.

Everyone has the 5-minute update using Mesowest. You can see where the high occurred within a string of 91.4F.  During one of the 5-minute sections, there was 1 minute where temp averaged 92.
The idea behind the 1-minute average is to simulate the slower reaction time of the older instruments and cotton region shelters.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=KPAH&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »

Everyone has the 5-minute update using Mesowest.
Of course. I'm so use to using the NWS web site for obs out here that I forgot about Meso being at 5. #-o I know they're different entities but find it curious that the NWS nation wide isn't standardized the same as Meso is.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #309 on: August 06, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
Just returned from SE Arizona and I enjoyed the weather of the Sky Islands very much. I managed to bring .65" of rain to my sister's and brother-in-law's place, which they appreciated because they have been missing the moisture. Saw some nice cloud to ground in storms that skipped around their place.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #310 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »
Guess what the 'official' rain  total will be for today?

Yeup.  Just like the famous lighter.

The bit of echo shown is probably clutter, but they might end up showing a trace.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »
As KFOR Meteorologist Emily Sutton of OKC observed, "Thanks to rain in northern OK and a front, we have two different seasons in our state! Summer in southern OK, near 100 degrees🔥 and fall to the north in the 70s!".  Yesterday, high was around 102 in Stillwater and probably hottest day of the year.    This as of 2:20 PM Thursday with light rain:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:29:52 PM by Bunty »

Online JCA433

• Contributor
« Reply #312 on: August 09, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »
Heat index 110 F punishes with severe discomfort.   I trying to mow my lawn in these conditions and feel like I might collapse.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
Amazingly high 24 hr. rainfall totals in northeast Oklahoma City.   Cold front to move back north with temps around 100 Saturday through Monday.   I bet the heat index will be brutally high.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
To say the monsoon has taken a hike is an understatement, just posted a 109/28F for 6%. What's worse, next week is progged to be even hotter with all time high temps for August on the potential cutting block. Great, as is, only about four weeks left til the non-soon leaves for good, if it hasn't already. I guess we'll hafta hope for a wet winter... :roll:

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
To say the monsoon has taken a hike is an understatement, just posted a 109/28F for 6%. What's worse, next week is progged to be even hotter with all time high temps for August on the potential cutting block. Great, as is, only about four weeks left til the non-soon leaves for good, if it hasn't already. I guess we'll hafta hope for a wet winter... :roll:

That winter precipitation outlook (for what it is worth) isn't real encouraging.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2019, 07:22:57 AM »
Sort of on the down bound side now.  Our average daily temperature dropped from 79 to 78 on August 1st and drops to 77 on August 21, then to 76 on the 27th.

Forecast doesn't look to be cooperating though.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
You know it's wayyyyy too humid when you open your freezer door and the fog rolls out.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Very wet for the first half of August down here. Sitting at 16.36 for the month.
My record for any month was 16.53 in September 09.
Have a real shot at 20 inches this month.
To my NW on the Gulf coast is really getting slammed. Since Thursday afternoon the area around the mouth of the Steinhatchee River has received 25 inches of rain with 15 of that coming in one day.
No tropical systems here just good ole fashion summertime toad stranglers.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2019, 05:10:33 PM »
Those sound more like Flamingo stranglers.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »
How do you spell relief?  S-P-C- S-W-O-D-Y-1

The last three outlooks have moved an Enhanced Risk zone progressively closer.  The most recent one just released takes it quite far away and even moves the Sight Risk zone almost off of us, but not quite.  Still means we could get nasties, but less probable.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/pg/urwillersmelonpatch/photos/?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R

The real face of severe weather. Feel for these folks in Nebraska last night. Just felt like sharing it. Hope that is okay. An hour's worth of hail up to golf ball size, 5.5" of rain, and wind.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2019, 11:34:42 PM »
After a dry July in this area, a rainy August  has wiped out threat of a new drought starting. After two rainy nights,  Stillwater was on the western end of an area with the most rain in Oklahoma stretching east to the Arkansas border.  I got 4.07".  Normal for August is 3.06".  8 in., so far, here.   Another round of rain originating in western Kansas is supposes to come early Sunday morning.
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/wet-and-wild-summer-continues/article_afc7eabf-d0c4-55a7-ad03-ad150300d0fc.html

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:20:36 AM by Bunty »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #323 on: August 27, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
Looks like we may finally see a respite from non-soon 2019 as the steering flow should give us a decent chance at a rim-shot or two in the upcoming day or so. Rim-shots can get rather frisky, especially with an inverted trough down south progged to help things along. Could see storms well into the early morning hours, not very common here.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #324 on: August 27, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
On the year running (-3.8F) on temperature and (+10.6") on moisture. Groundwater levels of the Ogallala Aquifer are so high some roads are still closed.
Randy