Author Topic: Replacing WLIP - WL2.0  (Read 586 times)

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Replacing WLIP - WL2.0
« on: March 13, 2019, 07:02:07 PM »
Has anybody had the need to change/replace a WLIP and subsequently change the DID on an existing WL2.0 Station Name? This doesn't appear to be possible as the DID can't be edited? And I doubt the WeatherLink IP Install option will allow a new DEVICE DID & KEY under an existing Station name and overwrite the old Device? I have not tried this as it would probably bail up as a duplicate Station name?   

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Replacing WLIP - WL2.0
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:13:29 AM »
Yes, we've had to do it more than once IIRC. You need to contact Davis support and get them to do it - there is a 'Replace Device' option on the wl.com Management Portal but only Davis have full write access to that. AFAICR this should give a clean substitution of new DID for old but TBH can't remember exactly - it's quite a rare occurrence.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:40 AM »
This is the problem it is a rare occurrence as have never had a WLIP fail and quite frankly I am not even sure if it is the WLIP or the Envoy but something is certainly failing but as this is not exactly in my backyard it's rather a long winded process to replace something like this then jump through all the hoops notifying Davis then waiting days for something to happen and then maybe finding it doesn't fix the issue anyway and maybe then changing it back.

Oh how easy it would be to change it out and while still on site simply change it over and almost immediately know if its a goer or it is something else which could then be actioned right on the spot.     

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:24 AM »
Does depend on how good your supplying dealer might be. Dealers do have ways of getting priority support from Davis - it's not a magic wand but can often help speed up the process. If one of our customers has a problem like this then we'll do what we can to help and can often get things changed in eg 1-2 working days (timezones etc permitting).

Trouble is that people tend to hunt around the Internet for ways of saving eg 5$/£/€ on a station and then wonder why support from that dealer can leave something to be desired. It's rather different in the US of course where support can come more easily direct from Davis, but for the rest of the world supplying dealers are more important.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.