Author Topic: WMR968 cannot get wind readings  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
WMR968 cannot get wind readings
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
Hi, 
  I received my new WMR968 yesterday and I am testing the components today in preparation to installing.  After an incredibly difficult time of assembly (useless owners manual!!), I am getting readings except for the wind.  I can get no readings at all except the N in the middle.  It dois not change if I move vane and there is no speed when I put it next to fan.
  Any ideas?  I think it is powered up.  At least the red light is blinking.  And, the unit is less than 2 feet from the base so it is not blocked or too far away. ](*,)
                                                 Thanks in advance,
                                                   Mark

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Re: WMR968 cannot get wind readings
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
Hi, 
  I received my new WMR968 yesterday and I am testing the components today in preparation to installing.  After an incredibly difficult time of assembly (useless owners manual!!), I am getting readings except for the wind.  I can get no readings at all except the N in the middle.  It dois not change if I move vane and there is no speed when I put it next to fan.
  Any ideas?  I think it is powered up.  At least the red light is blinking.  And, the unit is less than 2 feet from the base so it is not blocked or too far away. ](*,)
                                                 Thanks in advance,
                                                   Mark

Hi Mark!
What sort of display do you have for the wind speed  --- or a digit of some sort?
I have had sensor drop outs on mine that required a full reset to get going again for some reason

http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/WMR-968%2C+outdoor+sensor+no+longer+transmits

This link has some good info on this sort of failure.
You may want to reset the console first just to see if that helps by holding the channel button down to force a search of available sensors.

Best Wishes on a quick trip but online!

Wayne

www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
Hey Wayne,
   Thanks so much!!  The display was showing ---.  I did the forced search you recommended and that did the trick.  I don't think I saw that in the "fine" manual from OS.  I have to adjust the vane.  When I put it together I could not see the red marks much at all.  Everything seems to be going well right now.  Thank you again :!: :!: :-P \:D/ :lol:
    Mark

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:19:13 PM »
No Problem Mark!
Really Glad I could help!

Those little red marks are sure enough hard to see!
I'll tell you one even funnier.. I thought when I put mine into service that I knew where the east, west and so on were... Boy was I ever wrong!
I must have really been dreaming when I decided I did :oops:

Anyway..It's great to here you are back up and running!
No fun being on the side lines :lol:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:56 PM »
The OS manual does have a lot to be desired.  But once you are up and running, you will rarely need it.  Here is a different version, one radio shack put together for their branded version of the 968.  I have heard it is much better, if anything its much more detailed, 36 pages, vs 8 for the OS.
Andrew

http://insvr1.midcoastwater.com.au/WMRmanual.pdf

Hi, 
  I received my new WMR968 yesterday and I am testing the components today in preparation to installing.  After an incredibly difficult time of assembly (useless owners manual!!),                                         Mark

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
Andrew,
  Thanks for the link!!  I have no doubt it will come in handy sometime in the future.  Either way I have a real headache from using that so called owners manual. ](*,) :lol:

Mark

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:08:24 AM »
No Problem Mark!
Really Glad I could help!

Those little red marks are sure enough hard to see!
I'll tell you one even funnier.. I thought when I put mine into service that I knew where the east, west and so on were... Boy was I ever wrong!
I must have really been dreaming when I decided I did :oops:

Anyway..It's great to here you are back up and running!
No fun being on the side lines :lol:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

x2, I purchased a small "hiking" compass to "re-find" my direction bearings.  I then used my car GPS to find my Lat. and Lon. and it also had nice altimeter function.  When I plugged in those numbers later into the "google map" on Weather Underground, it was dead on my house.  The altimeter reading also closely (+-10 feet) matched a GIS map of my area.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09