Author Topic: Bad humidity on THGR122NX  (Read 6003 times)

Offline venturaweather

• Ventura Weather
Bad humidity on THGR122NX
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Just curious if anyone else has had bad results with the THGR122NX. I purchased one as a replacement for the original temp/humidity sensor on my WMR968 (which also had a history of poor humidity readings) and right out of the box the new one was bad. It would mostly report 5% or less when nearby stations were easily above 50%. It would occasionally spike up to accurate readings and hold there for 6-12 hours, then bottom back out at 5% or less (see attached). It's happened at various times of day. The temperature sensor is dead on accurate with my original WMR968 sensor. Just the humidity is doing this wacky stuff. At least with my old one it was consistently bad, almost always reporting a humidity between 30 and 40% whether it was in rain and dense fog or in extremely dry conditions. This new one is either dead on or bone dry. This is probably the 3rd or 4th bad humidity sensor I've received in a row.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Bad humidity on THGR122NX
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »
Mine was slightly better than the original but still nowhere close to actual.    My conclusion is that none of the OS humidity sensors are anywhere close to accurate and the only solution is to ignore it or buy a better system.  Which I did.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
Mine is pretty close to my other stations.  I have mine in a radiation shelter.  Is yours sheltered or out in the open?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline venturaweather

• Ventura Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
I've tried it both ways. Doesn't matter. Air temp is great. Just the humidity. Guess its just my bad luck I should get 4 bad sensors in a row.

Offline venturaweather

• Ventura Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:39 PM »
Mine was slightly better than the original but still nowhere close to actual.    My conclusion is that none of the OS humidity sensors are anywhere close to accurate and the only solution is to ignore it or buy a better system.  Which I did.

I agree. Though I'd live with 5-10% error at this point given mine has been off by 60% or more.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
If you're feeling adventurous you may be able to get one of those sensors back in operation. Open up the case and locate the humidity tab. Don't touch the circuit gid side. Look closely at it under a light and you should see a thin clear or milky film coating on it. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver and carefully spread this compound coating more evenly around to be sure it covers all the circuit traces. Be careful not to scratch the circuit traces.

If this is dry then the compound dried and can be restored with store bought hair gel with PEG ingredients. PEG has excellent hygroscopic properties needed here. ;)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:01:18 PM by DanS »

Offline venturaweather

• Ventura Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
I'll give it a try. Got nothing to lose since it sure cant be much worse than it is now.