Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109300 times)

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
I use a WiFi Logger and Verizon just replaced our Wifi (JetPack) today.

I no longer have connection to Weather Underground and am unable to bring up my Real Time Data screen.

Limited tech understanding here. Is the new JetPack (wifi) likely the culprit and what could I  do to fix it if so?
'
There is a significant possibility that the new JetPack is on a different WiFi subnet than the old one. At the very least, you will need to reset the WiFiLogger so that (if it is set up to use DHCP), it will get a local IP address in the new subnet. You will then need to find out what IP address it is using in order to bring up the Real Time Data and Settings screens. If you had given it a fixed IP address in the old subnet, even this won't help you. Probably the fastest way to get it back on-line, regardless of how it was set up before, is to follow the instructions for first time setup, connect to it on its 'private' network, and set it up again from there.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster

I no longer have connection to Weather Underground and am unable to bring up my Real Time Data screen.

Limited tech understanding here. Is the new JetPack (wifi) likely the culprit and what could I  do to fix it if so?
'
There is a significant possibility that the new JetPack is on a different WiFi subnet than the old one. At the very least, you will need to reset the WiFiLogger so that (if it is set up to use DHCP), it will get a local IP address in the new subnet. You will then need to find out what IP address it is using in order to bring up the Real Time Data and Settings screens. If you had given it a fixed IP address in the old subnet, even this won't help you. Probably the fastest way to get it back on-line, regardless of how it was set up before, is to follow the instructions for first time setup, connect to it on its 'private' network, and set it up again from there.

Thank you for your reply. I have two questions for you or anyone who has the WifiLogger:

To go through a first time set up, can i use the reset button? Is there a procedure for using the reset button on the wifilogger?

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

'

Thank you for your reply. I have two questions for you or anyone who has the WifiLogger:

To go through a first time set up, can i use the reset button? Is there a procedure for using the reset button on the wifilogger?

Yes, the red “reset” button is what you should press, but read the first post in this thread and download the wifi logger manual identified at the bottom of that post. Then follow the instructions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:28:37 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline BigAlT

It sounds like you need to reconfigure your wi-fi Logger to access your new Jet Pack. Perform a total reset and reinstall like you first did when you first installed it though you don’t need to actually remove the WFL from your console. If you have the original setup instructions just follow them. You’ll have to re enter your Wunderground station info as well so make sure you have your station ID and password as well. You’ll need to press the red button on the WFL for 3 seconds to enter setup mode and go from there.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
It sounds like you need to reconfigure your wi-fi Logger to access your new Jet Pack. Perform a total reset and reinstall like you first did when you first installed it though you don’t need to actually remove the WFL from your console. If you have the original setup instructions just follow them. You’ll have to re enter your Wunderground station info as well so make sure you have your station ID and password as well. You’ll need to press the red button on the WFL for 3 seconds to enter setup mode and go from there.

Followed the manual directions last night, press/hold red set up button for 10 seconds. But always met with failure to connect. The manual does not go into details about what to do if this happens.

Did not press/hold the white reset button out of concern for what it could lead to. There is no mention of using this reset button in my manual.

thanks for your reply

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

Followed the manual directions last night, press/hold red set up button for 10 seconds. But always met with failure to connect. The manual does not go into details about what to do if this happens.

Did not press/hold the white reset button out of concern for what it could lead to. There is no mention of using this reset button in my manual.

thanks for your reply

After you pressed the red button for 10 seconds, did you go to your smartphone or computer and go to wifi available networks? You should see the wifi logger as a choice to connect to. Is this what you did?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster

thanks for your reply

After you pressed the red button for 10 seconds, did you go to your smartphone or computer and go to wifi available networks? You should see the wifi logger as a choice to connect to. Is this what you did?

Yes. Had my son on the phone to help. He is IT, just not an authority on WifiLogger  ;)
We could get everything in the manual thru page 3 to work, but "Connection State" page 4 would always come up "Idle"

Dave

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground

thanks for your reply

Yes. Had my son on the phone to help. He is IT, just not an authority on WifiLogger  ;)
We could get everything in the manual thru page 3 to work, but "Connection State" page 4 would always come up "Idle".

Dave

Go to the first post of this thread and read the quick start guide.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:42:20 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Check settings on jetpack that wifi is not set for guest mode as that will isolate devices on subnet.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

"We" is used because my son who is IT and I both worked via phone on the problem. The explanation tries to be thorough:

We followed the setup procedure detailed in the WiFiLogger Quick Start PDF.  We followed all the steps, but we are not sure if a complete reset occurred.  Here's what happened:

Steps 1.1 through 1.5 were followed precisely.
In the guide, Step 1.6 is "press reset (white button) ... when console is working".  We followed that step, and the blue light blinked.  At that point, we could NOT access WiFiLoggerSetup, because the network was not available.  We had to press the SETUP button to access the WiFiLoggerSetup network.  Once we opened the page, we noticed the settings, including router name and password, were all still present.  In fact, all settings for Data Export were still present.  (This makes us wonder if a full reset occurred.)

After the WifiLogger entered setup mode (red button), we were able to connect to the device.  In the browser, under the WiFi Setup window, we entered the correct network name (Verizon-***) and password.  We have double and triple-checked the network name and password; they are precisely the same on other devices.  We went through the setup procedure several times, actually re-entering the network name and password each time, to verify they were typed correctly.  The odds of a typo at this point are extremely low.

The connection state shows "IDLE".  We did wait for this to change, but it stays at "IDLE".  Re-loading the page does not show a change in status.  Looking at Network Info shows no network address information.  After waiting at least 10 minutes, no DHCP address is obtained, and the connection stays IDLE. 

At this point, we can reboot from the Setup / System page, but that obviously doesn't magically cause the connection to start working.

We have checked with the Verizon MiFi device and the GUEST mode is disabled.

Attached are two screenshots: one that shows Setup / Network Info and the other shows Setup / Wifi Setup.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
There was one time a problem like this. Then problem was with password.
Do you have in password special characters? Like %$#@&!(* ?

Second problem was described here. Some router have MAC address filter. There is a white list with allow addresses.
Sometimes router has special button to allow device to connect in some period time after button was pressed. This is same like to add MAC address to the list.

Please check your password first.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
WifiLogger:
Have checked the password many times for accuracy.
This same password, which came with the new device, works on all other phones, tables, desktop.

As to the MAC address filter, will look into it. That is something for my son the IT guy.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
WifiLogger:
This same password, which came with the new device, works on all other phones, tables, desktop.

As to the MAC address filter, will look into it. That is something for my son the IT guy.

Yes, but WiFiLogger has one function built in to change special characters. This should be repaired.
If you have special characters in password like )(*&^%$#@!
then it can be a problem here.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
How many devices are connected to the jetpack? Some Verizon jetpacks have a limit of 5 devices that they can serve. If this is the case I would recommend you get your own router instead of using a jetpack as the router. Heck I'd recommend your own router always no matter the ISP. It can be a bit more challenging to put in your own router if your ISP is a cellular connection, but it's still doable. I recommend the Asus RT-AC68U as it can accept the jetpack as a WAN (Internet) connection via its USB port. It's always better to use your own router.
Tele-Pole

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
WifiLogger:

Yes, but WiFiLogger has one function built in to change special characters. This should be repaired.

Thanks, but no special characters at all.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
WifiLogger:

Thanks, but no special characters at all.

So there is only black list to check. If this device has MAC address filter enabled, then you have to add AP MAC to this list, then WiFiLogger will be allowed to use this router.
When you use WPS button, then this mechanizm is done automaticly, but WiFiLogger has no WPS button to pair with router.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
WifiLogger:

One other remote possibility: some older WiFi chipsets do not support WPA-2 encryption, and some newer chipsets do not support the old WEP system (at least by default). I don't know whether the WiFilogger is susceptible to either of these issues - Wojtek can answer that. I bring it up only because the typical symptom of either of these problems is failure to connect to a visible network despite entering the correct password. Do you know what encryption system your jetpack is using - the default for new routers is usually WPA-2, but I don't like to assume anything. One of your smarter connected devices should display this information in its wireless settings.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline BigAlT

During setup of the WFL is your Jet Pack shown as an available network ?. If not, Looking at internet questions regarding Jet Pack problems, it appears that the Jet Pack does  not support simultaneous 2.4 GHz & 5 Ghz operation. Only one or the other. The WFL only supports 2.4 GHz operation. If all your other devices support 5 GHz operation and that’s the setting the Verizon installer used for your new Jet Pack it would explain why the WFL doesn’t find the Jet Pack. If so, you need to switch the Jet Pack to 2.4 GHz operation in the Jet Pack settings.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I am not prepared to gave full answer but I am using WiFiLogger with:
WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
So this is AES cipher.

Could you use this settings?
WPA2 PSK with AES, not TKIP?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I'd change the default jetpack SSID and pass key. Still even though your aren't limited by 15 devices, having your own router has many advantages.

- You gain Ethernet ports that the jetpack doesn't have
- You get a better firewall
- you gain better WiFi coverage
- you gain LAN performance
- You gain router NAS feature
- You gain WiFi mesh capabilities with additional RT-AC68U or RT-AC5300 (and others)
- You gain numerous other advanced features that jetpack probably doesn't have; VPN, parental control, active intrusion detection, active compromised device lockout, traffic analyzer, AiDisk, better QoS...and many many more.
- much nicer management interface and regular security notification updates easy to install with a single click

Even if you don't know or need all these features, your overall experience will be much better. If you depend on the ISP for a router then every time they change your router people have headaches redoing their network. With your own router you more easily control the LAN and you can upgrade your own router with less headaches when the time comes. This way when the ISP changes your router/modem it's no big deal as the LAN isn't affected.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:30:51 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BigAlT

Was wondering why Verizon changed your Jet Pack and what model number did they install ?. Possibly an issue with the default settings of the new Jet Pack.

Offline BigAlT

Looking at the manual for the Jetpack MFI 8800L the default WiFi security setting is WPA2 PSK (AES) as Wi-Fi Logger recommends. Make sure the installer didn’t change it to another type.

anything