Author Topic: Oregon WMR200  (Read 18004 times)

Offline Jan-Ove

• Magra Väderstation
Oregon WMR200
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:47:48 PM »
Hi!
I have ordered a WMR 200 wireless station whit solar panel. And I wounder if anybody can say something about it, good or bad. Before I have a ELV WS 500, but it wont work correctly. So because of that my website is down. I have a Ajax PHP website so I´m waiting for my station, cant wait to get it work again. 6 long weeks I have waited for new parts, but now I wont wait any longer.
Have a nice day out there. ( Sorry for my bad spelling)
Jan-Ove Johansson

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Oregon WMR200
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
you will enjoy the faster data updates than the one you have, thats for sure
when you say solar panel, do you mean the UV sensor?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wello

• Welloweather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Welloweather
    • Welloweather
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 01:31:36 AM »
The solar panel on the WMR200 only supplements the batteries...not replaces them. Therefore, its hard to determine if its a gimmick or it does lengthen the life of the batteries. I've only had mine a month or so
Peter
Peter
www.welloweather.info
OS WMR-200 with V14.01 P22 on Windows Vista

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
Hello Jan-Ove, and welcome to the forum. I have a WMR-200, but I only have the console.

I had a WMR -100 which gave me lots of problems with communication with my computer. Some days it would work, others it wouldn't.
Eventually Oregon Scientific UK agreed to replace the console with an upgrade to the 200, which enabled me to continue using my original wind sensor, rain collector, and UV sensor.

I have only had it one month, but so far it's been very good. I don't have my station running 24/7, which means the data logger is very useful.

Good luck with your new station. Let us know how you get on. If you do have problems, then you can be assured of excellent advice on this forum.

Alan.
Alan

Offline L5n25

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:06:46 AM »
I received a WMR200A Oregon Scientific weather station as a Christmas gift.  Setup was fairly easy and straightforward although the battery insertion for the rain gauge was a bit unbelievable (the most screws I ever had to remove just to insert the batteries of any device in recent memory!  :eek: )  I just poked the sharp end of the provided mast into the ground in my backyard for now (I'll get more sophisticated about the placement of the sensors later) and the console picked up the sensors without incident.

The atomic clock radio doesn't seem to get a reliable signal (not unusual in my home) so I manually synched the console clock to my Windows XP box which runs a network time synch client.  I loaded the packaged CD which contained the demo version of Weather Display software.  Since my intent was publishing to a PWS on Wunderground I immediately downloaded the trial internet version of WD since the demo version (basic?) doesn't support the internet publishing function.

Weather Display's support of the WMR200 is relatively new apparently, the shipped demo version didn't have an obvious way to configure communications for the console communications but the 10.37N version of the trial had the console station type in the WD control panel.  WD on my XP recognized the WMR200A console and ostensibly downloaded the data and then took live readings but the downloaded data seems to be ignored by the graphing functionality of WD; new live data gets graphed just fine.  I may not know how to get the backlogged data to show up properly (I found WD's user interface a bit disjointed and hard to understand personally)

Setting up the publishing to my newly created PWS on Wunderground was painless.  However, again backlogged data from the console is not being updated in WD and thus on my PWS I wind up with flat-line data for the period where the communications are down between my computer and the the console (I don't think this is the console's fault though).

The real outstanding issue at this point is too frequently the USB based communications drop out.  WD thinks it has a good connection but it just keeps logging the last data set prior to the USB dropping out resulting in flat-line data.  Unplugging/replugging in the USB just results in Windows thinking the device is unknown... only workaround I've found so far is rebooting Windows and plugging in the USB fresh -- then WD resumes without incident (though it still fails to properly update the computer's data with missed data points) and logs the live data just fine for anywhere from 5 minutes to 17 hours before it drops out again.  I briefly tried VWS software but was unable to get it to communicate with the console and went back to WD where I was at least getting results.  I wish OS would have shipped with "full bulk" USB device driver rather than relying on a 3rd party default HID driver for USB communications; may not be the issue, but a HID driver default doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the communications to the console.

That's my fresh experience with the OS WMR200A.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:33:10 AM by L5n25 »
Member 1197, I think.

Hardware:- Oregon Scientific WMR200A
Software:- Weather Display 10.37N Trial

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
I received a WMR200A Oregon Scientific weather station as a Christmas gift.
Nice gift! ;)

I received a WMR968 last year and one of the PIAs about it is that it has two sets of batteries for the outside sensors: both AA and a NiMH rechargeable. Does the WMR200 sensors' Solar panel have any batteries in it that you know of? Or is it just the solar panel and then the sensors themselves have replaceable (not rechargeable) AA batteries? It appears the solar panel has no battery pack in it but just wanted to confirm.

Hopefully someone else will chime-in about their WMR200 as to whether it works with VWS software--I'm not familiar with WD at all.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
VWS Version 14 added wmr200 support.
Andrew

Hopefully someone else will chime-in about their WMR200 as to whether it works with VWS software--I'm not familiar with WD at all.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
some pc's have problems with USB staying alive (i.e might be power down problems, RF inteference problems, etc)
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline L5n25

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
some pc's have problems with USB staying alive (i.e might be power down problems, RF inteference problems, etc)

So my Control Panel>Power Options are set to:

never turn off the monitor (I used to have it turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity but now I just turn it off manually)
never turn off hard disks
never standby
and hibernate off (it's a desktop)

I still get arbitrary USB communications failures.

It could be RF I suppose... just seems odd though... are there RF interference "countermeasures" that might help curtail the USB dropouts?
Member 1197, I think.

Offline L5n25

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
VWS Version 14 added wmr200 support.
Andrew

So I tried this version once but it didn't seem to communicate with the unit.  It could be that, having installed WD (which it came with) that the USB driver is just grabbing it... I probably have to uninstall WD fully (and uninstall it's driver) to try the VWS version.

I'm likely to try that simply because I find WD's UI more than a little disjointed and if I can get VWS to reliably communicate with the console and/or reliably retrieve off-line console logged data... I'll gladly pay the $25 some odd more for VWS and enjoy the UI.

Member 1197, I think.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:01 AM »
I had big problems with my WMR100 communicating with my computer, but since I had the 200, no problems at all.

Whilst on the subject of VWS version 14 including the WMR200, the station isn't referred to anywhere in the VWS user manual. I think this should be a consideration for anyone with a new 200 station trying to decide on a software package.

Alan
Alan

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »
Someone posted awhile back that they had been in contact with Ed concerning the manual. Ed's reply was. An updated manual would be released after the 1st of the year.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:32 AM »
Yep, that was me.   He needs to get to it.  He is selling Version 14 and the manual is supposedly for Version 13 with a lot of Version 12 pictures and descriptions still in it.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:29:48 AM »
I don't know what else to tell you. Why don't you contact him again and see if he's making any progress on a new manual.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
It's a great shame that Cumulus doesn't support the WMR200, I for one would be off like a shot and be happy to pay.

I emailed Steve at Cumulus when I first had my 200 asking he would ever include the 200, he replied saying, 'not for the foreseeable future'.

Alan.
Alan

Offline dshehane

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
Just to chime in with my experiences setting up a new WMR200.  I bought a complete setup with software from Ambient.  The copy of VWS ver 14.0 Internet Edition that I purchased came with a blank disc, so while I was waiting to talk to Ambient I loaded and tried the copy of Weather Display that came with the OS weather station (ver 10.37f).  It absolutely was a mess!  did not communicate, did not display correctly....  So I downloaded the ver 10.37N - appeared to work fine, but I was not going to pay for a version when I had a paid license for VWS.  So I wrote to Oregon Scientific and to the author of WD.  Still have not heard back from OS, but the author wrote back from NZ that the version I got with the unit was "a freebie" that he did not get anything for and he did not support it.  He was courteous and was kind enough to reply back with some limited advice.  Of course my response was...when you buy something with bundled software I never consider it a "freebie" unless specifically stated, which I could not see stated anywhere.  My advise to the author was that letting someone ship your software that doesn't work does nothing for your reputation.....and probably hurts you in the long run.

Anyway, Ambient quickly sent me a new license code and download instructions for my VWS, along with a promise to send a new good disk.  Everything downloaded and installed like a dream and everything worked right from the get go.  My only issue right now is there is about 18 inches difference between where the unit gets good sensor reception and where I want to mount it....  I guess I will have to relocate the sensors, since I cannot move my house.

Anyway, up and running and lovin' it!

Dave
West Linn, Oregon
Dave
Hardware: Oregon Scientific WMR200A
Software: Ambient VWS V14.0 p45
PC OS Windows Vista SP1

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »
and he did not support it.

can you clarify on that more?
just wondering how you came to that conclusion when your email/questions had been answered in a timely manner (your words)?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline dshehane

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »
Well, maybe I read something into the tone of the response - and I am really not faulting him!  I will paste the response here:

"Hi
note that the free basic version is a freebe, i.e you have not paid for it, and I receive nothing for providing it for free

and it has functions disabled

make sure you have the correct outdoor sensor number to use set in the weather station type setup
also make sure to run WeatherD.exe as adminstrator (right mouse click on that) with Vista
Cheers"

I did thank him for the prompt reply.  I guess you can read his response any way you want.  I took it as "if you want the real thing, you have to buy it.." and at that moment I thought I had bought it.  But he did reply promptly and I guess you can call that support.  The fact was that I was already running it as admin and it did not run correctly, while the "real" version did run correctly, I just needed to pay $73 more.  So I will admit to being a little grumpy.  I also replied to him that I agreed that if he didn't get paid for it, he shouldn't have to provide support...and he never argued that point, so one might think he agreed.

The real point in mentioning it was for other newbies that get stuck trying to make "furnished" software work...in this case the furnished software is not truely functional, according to the author, and to get the stuff that works, you have to pay more.  I had already bought the VWS, so it was all just an observation to share. No harm, no intention to malign the software or the author.

Hope that clarifies...

Dave

Dave
PC OS Windows Vista SP1

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:56 AM »
My understanding is that the WMR200a comes with
Includes FREE:

* 5-Language Software: English, Dutch, Italy, Spanish & French
and that would be WD, although which version and whether it's a 'full version', I don't know.  I suspect it was a packaged, older version probably arranged by Oregon Scientific and not a full-licensed version of WD.

You should probably consider the version packaged on the disk with the WMR200a as 'trialware' like so many things that come on new PCs .. not seeing the license agreement (I don't have a WRM200a), I can't really say.  I think it's a bit unfair to expect support on 'free' software (generally).  I read the response as what it says:
1) the software distributed with the WRM200a is free and limited in function (compared to a purchased license)
2) reasonable advice on how to make it run on a Vista system.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »
I agree that they should not have to support trialware, but it should be fully disclosed, maybe it was somewhere in the terms.

However this comment is not very customer or future customer/prospect friendly. 
"i.e you have not paid for it, and I receive nothing for providing it for free"

If you as a developer made a bad deal, and let someone use your product/name, dont take it out on the customer.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
where is any one this did it come out that the free basic version is not supported?
I mean there is an updated version, i.e more recent version of the free basic version for the WMR200 from
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/wdisplaybasicwmr200.exe
support is offered for the free basic users just the same as if it was a user of the full version
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:47:21 PM by GBW »
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the clarification and the link to the latest bundled WD version with the WMR200!

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dshehane

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
Thank you for the link!

Hmm, First thing I did was to look all over the OS website for that link...never found it.  Wrote two support requests to OS, they have never responded - maybe their responses are stuck in some spam filter.  I probably should have kept after them and not bothered the author.

The only defense is beginner ignorance...

Dave

Dave
PC OS Windows Vista SP1

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 05:57:39 PM »
I agree that they should not have to support trialware, but it should be fully disclosed, maybe it was somewhere in the terms.

However this comment is not very customer or future customer/prospect friendly. 
"i.e you have not paid for it, and I receive nothing for providing it for free"

If you as a developer made a bad deal, and let someone use your product/name, dont take it out on the customer.

Andrew

Given my experience, and the experience of most folks, I'd have to say that something is being lost in the medium (ie online conversation). It's easy to misinterpret comments when dealing only with the written word. Brian, the author of WD, has always been very responsive to his customers. You could have a long argument about which product is better, with valid points on which ever side you are arguing, but you'd have a lot of trouble winning an argument that someone supports their product better than Brian. I'm not the only one here who would make that point either. I honestly don't know when the man sleeps.

Brian doesn't participate much in our forums directly but to get a better idea of how he handles customer requests spend some time over on the forums at weather-watch.com. In addition to Brian there are lots of very helpful folks there who can answer just about any question you have about WD.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
It must have been a communication issue.  I was only commenting on the one sentence, not the product or overall support.  I am sure he would have re-phrased it after seeing how it looks.  A lot of people swear by WD, so for that its either product, or support or both...  Perhaps he was just having a bad day.

Andrew