Author Topic: WMR100 console to WMR200 console.  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: WMR100 console to WMR200 console.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
They sound familuar. I dig your weather. I like it warm/hot. Although I'm originally from Washington State where it's cold cold cold I'm still a hot weather person. Do you guys get much rain besides that one storm you guys had experienced a while back? I like warm but not as dry. here in Texas it's hot and dry or cold and wet. Durring the long summers we can go a month or 2 without seeing a drop. You might remember what Texas was like. The last few summers here have been miserable. The last good summer was the one of 2007. That summer was wet.
Now winter it slowly creeping into Texas and I'm already missing the heat. Even though last summer was by far the worst. We broke a few temperature records maximum number of days at or above 100 degrees we hit 69 days and the temperature got up to 108-109 on a day breaking highest temperature record. and the lakes are still down by 17-20Ft. That summer I was working at a car wash so I was out in it for 8 hr's a day. Fortunatly only 2 days a week. If I worked all week every week of that summer I would be redder than a lobster. I've still got scars from the sun burns.

The WMR200 is on the way. The WMR100 has retired to the family room where my family can see what's going on outside. I probably won't get to see it untill Christmas though. Till then my VP2 will cover everything.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »
We lived on Lake Travis and had a boat for years and I've seen the lake 40' over and now it's at least 40' down. I traveled for a living and one day in 2000 I got on the plane in Austin and it was 114, got off that evening in Manchester and it was 55 so the moderation we have here is welcome. The low this morning was 53 and we hit 69 this afternoon although I was in Guadalajara and it was about 75 over there.

April-mid June are our hot and driest time, then one day it starts to rain and we get ave 33.5" until the last of Sept and it turns back off, one stretch late last year into this year we went over 200 days without a drop. In '08 & '10 we were over average, we came up short this year and it dried out rather quickly so my gardener is watering more and earlier than usual - which is a pain in the back pocket due to the electricity to run the pressure pump, our cost here is $.39 per KWH about 4 times what it was in TX.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »
One last question, Does the WMR200 still use Electroluminecent or have they switched to LEDs? And does Electroluminecent create heat like LEDs do? After reviewing the manual PDF sounds like there's a switch in the back that keeps the backlighting on continously instead of after something is pushed. The Vantage Pro2 does this when the adaptor is plugged in, but the LEDs the VP2 uses create alot of heat when left on. I have the stations wall mounted beside my bed and I like to have the backlighting on as a nightlight so can glance over and know what's going on outside. Basically my weather stations double as a weather nightlight. Watching the wind in bed beats counting sheep  :lol:.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:45:26 AM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:21 AM »
I think it's got 4 tiny LED's at the corners, but I'm running mine with the light on and it's stone cold.

Margaritas? - ha, sure we've been known to mix a pitcher or two. Actually our theme, and lifestyle here, is by a local group of gringos called the Tall Boys, they've become rather popular here in central MX. This is one of their best and pretty much says it all, it was shot along the N shore of the lake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4xh4g5WJQ

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I think it's got 4 tiny LED's at the corners, but I'm running mine with the light on and it's stone cold.

Do you see any temperature changes? Maybe it's the color or the LEDs the VP2 uses Amber or the color of a hot toaster wire. Not shure if this has anything to do with anything. On the Weather Shack they said Higlo Electroluminecent. but not know when that was updated OS may have changed which is a shame because I like Electroluminecent. LEDs can be harsh on the eyes sometimes. Oh well If I'm used to the VP2's LEDs I'l probably get used to the WMR200's LEDs.

PS when was your first Margarita? My first was back in August when my family and I went to Cozumel MX for a 4 day Carnival Cruise. It was nice. Fortunatly I didn't get sauced ROFL.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Well, the LED's, if that's what they are, are back out of sight under the front bezel, just sort of a sub surface light and they're blue. Temp changes? - no, just the readouts.

Ha, my first margarita? - long long ago. Back in Chicago we used to drink them by the pitcher and at Lake Travis we used to rent a margarita machine and on holiday weekends when it was too dangerous to go out on the lake due to weekend tourist boaters from Houston etc. we'd crank it up and party - big time. Finally had to quit as too many people were falling off the docks. Here you can buy 1 1/2 gallon plastic jugs of tequila for around $5, it's not reposada but?

I have a bottle of Quervo Reserva De la Familia, hand numbered, in it's own decorated wooden box. My neighbor gave it to me. She bought it at the distillery store in Tequila which is just a short way from here. Most of the blue agave is grown here in the state of Jalisco.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »
Well, the LED's, if that's what they are, are back out of sight under the front bezel, just sort of a sub surface light and they're blue. Temp changes? - no, just the readouts.

Ha, my first margarita? - long long ago. Back in Chicago we used to drink them by the pitcher and at Lake Travis we used to rent a margarita machine and on holiday weekends when it was too dangerous to go out on the lake due to weekend tourist boaters from Houston etc. we'd crank it up and party - big time. Finally had to quit as too many people were falling off the docks. Here you can buy 1 1/2 gallon plastic jugs of tequila for around $5, it's not reposada but?

I have a bottle of Quervo Reserva De la Familia, hand numbered, in it's own decorated wooden box. My neighbor gave it to me. She bought it at the distillery store in Tequila which is just a short way from here. Most of the blue agave is grown here in the state of Jalisco.
Awesome. My dad on the cruise bought I don't know how much Kuhula (how ever it's spelled) and Rum. You might say they're imported by us LOL. Next September my dad is planning on stalking up on more. Anyway I can't wait untill my WMR200 comes. My WMR100 is working in the family room. With the old 4 in 1 sensor coming down as a spare, my WMR100A will become a WMR100N recieving data from the WMR200.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »
Well I got it today  :grin: I spent 30 minutes putting everything together. It probably would have taken me longer but I did alot of manual PDF studying before I opened her up so I already knew the drill. The sensors are now on the 25ft tower. I took one of the included mast sections and attached it where the WMR100 sensor used to be and the other 2 masts sections mount the UVN800. The console instantly found the sensors including the sensors I already had. After I disabled the older sensors (Rain gauge and wind sensor) I set up the new sensors and everything works fine.

I havn't heard too well on the included software program. I spared waisting computer space on that and I'm running my WMR200 on Weather Display 10.37 build 71.

As for the extra side pole attachment, I'm thinking of mounting my Davis solar radiation sensor on that. And placing it higher to monitor solar radiation in a un-shaded area. And get more info on how efficent the included solar panel is.

Tomarrow I'l see if I can get some pictures. I would have taken some today but I was a little excited. Looks like a good buy.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Here are the photos I promissed.

The weather tower.

Close up of the sensors.

Looking Northeast.

Looking Southeast.

Rain gauge.

UV sensor.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
The WMR100 console has been donated to the living room where the family can see the current weather.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
Looking good, now you need to do the funnel mod on the rain gauge. My replacement 200 will in around the 9th, that should tide me over until the Fall when I'll go Davis. I had intended to move at the end of my lease in June, but the owners have made an offer I may not be able to refuse which will help on the Davis project.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
Looking good, now you need to do the funnel mod on the rain gauge. My replacement 200 will in around the 9th, that should tide me over until the Fall when I'll go Davis. I had intended to move at the end of my lease in June, but the owners have made an offer I may not be able to refuse which will help on the Davis project.
I've thought of using a funnel but then again the 0.04 increments have me wondering if I should do anything. I came up with the idea that the 0.04 increments are to compensate for the small funnel size. 0.04in maybe equivillant to 0.01 on Davis's 8". That's just a theory. The PCR800 seems to agree with the VP2. I like the WMR100's wind sensor so I mounted it on the end of our garage as a backup. Soon I hope to buy wireless rain gauge for my WS1910U-IT so I can get a 3rd opinion on rainfall. I used one of the included pole sections to raise the sensor up a little more someware around 25-28 Ft. Would have used all 3 but I need to go easy on the HOA. They've been nice enough to let me get away with the tower I have right now for 2.5 years. Anyway, everything working it's a good day.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
The 8" funnel mod with calibration modifier will record .01". I got mine from a home brew equipment outlet and just got a new one as a backup in Oct, the sun tends to eat them after a couple years. We often have very light showers and the .04" wasn't recording. If you think about it, you can have one drop short of a full bucket and it won't tip and record. So, you're off .04", now with this you're off by .01", trivial I know, but as long as we're playing with our toys, might as well do it.