Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
Uh, sorry to upset any 'apple carts' but both the VP2 and VUE consoles are 'designed' to operate from 3×C-cell batteries, with the AC-adapter being "optional" unless the WL-IP dongle is installed. Hence, the "time-piece" clock chip cannot be using 60Hz prower line frequency...as mentioned above, it's a crystal-based oscillator and countdown device.

I do realize that, just reaching for straws but I should not have lost that Minute in 24Hrs. Maybe I should just let it go and just live with it?

I should have mentioned that when I was running Weather Link ( Before I D/L Cumulus ), I set the Auto Data recording at 5 minute intervals, at random times ( between 5-7 hours to a couple of Days ), the recording would stop and I would have to reset the Auto in the Strip Chart Drop Down Menu. That was a week ago and I just thought of it.
Actually, I AGREE with you, the "typical" VP2 Console time-keeping sucks! As a matter of fact, I commented such years ago, when Davis asked for "upgrades / VP3" comments, to which I answered: automatic time-sync to WWVB!

If a $39 wristwatch and a $19 wall clock(*) can be made having WWVB "Atomic" timekeeping modules then *why* can't their $500 weather systems ALSO include one?

(*) LaCrosse Technology, Radio Controlled Analog Clock, Model WT-3102S; also desk clock, Model 617-1392.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:10:07 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
Quote from: benay ra'am on Today at 10:41:38 AM

How I checked the console is I located the console next to my Main Computer. I watched the Minute Flip on the console and checked the computer, off by 60 seconds. Yesterday, I managed to set the Davis at the top of the minute.

For completeness, did you do the same check just after setting the console time?  [And then a day later, of course]

Or, alternatively, check the "loss of time" for 3 days in a row (without resetting), to see if it keeps losing 60 seconds per day?  That is, 180 seconds after 3 days elapsed?

That would be the "scientific method".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:59:34 PM by dalecoy »

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
Quote from: benay ra'am on Today at 10:41:38 AM

How I checked the console is I located the console next to my Main Computer. I watched the Minute Flip on the console and checked the computer, off by 60 seconds. Yesterday, I managed to set the Davis at the top of the minute.

For completeness, did you do the same check just after setting the console time?  [And then a day later, of course]

Or, alternatively, check the "loss of time" for 3 days in a row (without resetting), to see if it keeps losing 60 seconds per day?  That is, 180 seconds after 3 days elapsed?

That would be the "scientific method".
No, just the one time but I'm going to let it go a full week and see what happens. If I lose time, there's not much I can do about it anyway. Everything else about the console is A-#1, it's a quirk I'll have to live with. I'm also readying up the Laptop for a full format and reinstall of windoze.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
Uh, sorry to upset any 'apple carts' but both the VP2 and VUE consoles are 'designed' to operate from 3×C-cell batteries, with the AC-adapter being "optional" unless the WL-IP dongle is installed. Hence, the "time-piece" clock chip cannot be using 60Hz prower line frequency...as mentioned above, it's a crystal-based oscillator and countdown device.

I do realize that, just reaching for straws but I should not have lost that Minute in 24Hrs. Maybe I should just let it go and just live with it?

I should have mentioned that when I was running Weather Link ( Before I D/L Cumulus ), I set the Auto Data recording at 5 minute intervals, at random times ( between 5-7 hours to a couple of Days ), the recording would stop and I would have to reset the Auto in the Strip Chart Drop Down Menu. That was a week ago and I just thought of it.
Actually, I AGREE with you, the "typical" VP2 Console time-keeping sucks! As a matter of fact, I commented such years ago, when Davis asked for "upgrades / VP3" comments, to which I answered: automatic time-sync to WWVB!

If a $39 wristwatch and a $19 wall clock(*) can be made having WWVB "Atomic" timekeeping modules then *why* can't their $500 weather systems ALSO include one?

(*) LaCrosse Technology, Radio Controlled Analog Clock, Model WT-3102S; also desk clock, Model 617-1392.

Even my made in china Acurite HD Displays are keeping accurate time :lol:...................

Had I known about the Time issue with Davis VP2 Console, I still would have bought it.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 02:47:24 PM »

Even my made in china Acurite HD Displays are keeping accurate time :lol:...................

Had I known about the Time issue with Davis VP2 Console, I still would have bought it.
...likewise, had I known about the Time issue with Davis VP2 Console, I would've bought the VUE console for my VP2 system the first time.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:41:21 PM by Old Tele man »

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
I bought my VP2 in July 2008 and had it connected via USB logger to my computer for a month or so.  Then I got the Envoy and connected the datalogger to it.  The VP2 console is upstairs just as a stand-alone to look at (which I hardly ever do anymore) and still has the original batteries and plugged in AC.  We've had a few power outages over the years, at maybe 6-8 hours for the longest period.  Since I removed the datalogger in 2008 I had never checked its time until a short while ago at 3:11 pm and the console time was 2:57 pm.  Looks like a drop of 14 minutes in 9 years.  I am not complaining...

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
No, just the one time but I'm going to let it go a full week and see what happens.

So, you don't know for sure that it lost 60 seconds.  It was just 60 seconds slow when you checked it the one time.  Perhaps you actually set it 60 seconds slow, and didn't realize it.

Please let us know what you see at the end of the full week. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 11:55:07 PM »
I get to use this one for real! "man with two watches never knows what time it is"
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2017, 12:36:33 AM »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2017, 01:27:53 AM »
This is all starting to sound like Schrödinger's cat.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 06:40:00 AM »
I found the culprit, it was the laptop that was loosing time, actually it was randomly jumping time all over the place +/- 40-90 seconds. I found it by chance and since I had checked the sync station clock to Cumulus which is sync to the PC it was throwing the Station clock off. I set up WL and Cumulus to my Main Computer, the timing has been dead on.

Now the bad news, the laptop is bricked. I could not format the HD or reinstall vista, something was preventing me from doing that. I think I know what it is based how wonky it was acting anyway as in D/T sync failure, I could not update the anti virus data base or install MS security essentials . The only fix would be a HD replacement. Lucky nothing important was on the Laptop, not even a email account was setup.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »
Thanks for asking a Quick Question!    ](*,)

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
At First I thought it was :twisted: :lol:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
It was -- the start & end posts were quick. It's the all the posts between them that weren't so quick (wink,wink)!

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 11:37:01 AM »
It was -- the start & end posts were quick. It's the all the posts between them that weren't so quick (wink,wink)!

Well, thanks for everyone's help anyway, it's very much appreciated. The last thing on my mind was the Laptop as it's been pretty reliable and when I think back on it, my grandkids were on it and only God knows what they might have Down loaded, that was 3 or 4 of years ago.

I did procure another laptop just for WX, my wife donated her old Laptop, she's a wx geek too. The Laptop is only 2 years old running win7.