Author Topic: Windows 10 Version 1703 update...  (Read 2439 times)

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Windows 10 Version 1703 update...
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
My Dell system got a notification that the Windows 10 Version 1703 update was ready.. reboot now or later.

Sigh.  I shut down the weather software on the system and said 'now' (at 10:00am).
An hour later, the reboot(s) had finished, but when startwatch began the startup, I noticed the virtual com port software had not activated correctly so VirtualVP showed the 4 com ports (COM5-COM8) were red.

I changed the settings for VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator) to use Windows 8 compatibility.  Tried loading it, then Virtual VP and all ports showed green.

Did a Windows Update check, and behold.. a cumulative update was needed.  Another 15 minutes gone.  Total outage about 2h25m but at least it won't restart while I'm not looking.

Guess my system got selected for the Windows Creator push and that's why stuff appeared to be processed via Windows Update.  The only 'surprises' were: VSPE needing Win8 compatibility, and my settings for the Arduino port moved back to COM9 via device manager.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Windows 10 Version 1703 update...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
I installed Windows Creator a couple weeks back.
Unbelievably still no option to not shut down the PC for an update.
You can delay it, set a time and date etc but if you don't it shuts it down. :roll:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:59:09 PM »
The only hitch-in-the-gitalong (aside from the loonnnggg time to install, update, install) was the issue with Virtual Serial Port Emulator (VSPE).. using Windows 8 compatibility setting for that cured the issue right away.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
That update ended up taking the better part of a day on my Aspire One netbook.   Part of it is my slow DSL line.  I let my Lenovo do it overnight and it took several hours.  I don't remember off hand having to change any settings other then possibly the UAC was turned back on.  That would render startwatch unable to start part of the software and gave me fits when I first went to Win 10 until I found out how to turn it off in the registry. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
I've updated 4 PC's at home to 1703 with no major issues.  I'm not running VVP any longer.  So my Cumulus connected up to my serial port no issues.

However at work it's been a pain.  I work in IT for the state government.  Even though we have deferred upgrade option checked, there reaches a point where Microsoft says "screw you" and puts it on your PC anyway.  We have one program in our courtroom that isn't compatible with it.  We've tried all the MS tools to block the upgrade until a patch can be made.  But it still overrides/ignores that setting and puts it on anyway.  Microsoft is tired of being taken to task over security issues and is giving you upgrades no matter what.

I think this is a bit heavy handed.  But nothing we can do about it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
Anybody running Windows 10 should be aware of this

"Windows 10 includes a new peer-to-peer download feature for updates and Windows Store apps. By default, Windows will automatically use your PC’s Internet connection to upload updates, hiding the option to disable this five clicks deep in the operating system.

You can continue to use peer-to-peer updates on your local network, but you may not want to waste upload bandwidth to help reduce Microsoft’s bandwidth bills. This is especially true if you have data caps on your Internet connection."

There are numerous articles on the internet on how to disable this on your computer.  For folks with multiple computers on their local network, this can actually be a benefit. Just make sure you are not providing updates to the internet.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »
You can also defer updates, set times to reboot etc in the settings Advanced and settings, change active hours.
OR, just turn off updates altogether using the group policy, OR have the updates download when you say say by
marking you connection as metered, open the Settings app, Network & Internet,  Wi-FI, and click “Manage Known Networks”.
Choose your Wi-Fi network and click “Properties”. From there, enable the “Set as metered connection” option.
Updates will not automatically download on a metered connection ;)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
You can also defer updates, set times to reboot etc in the settings Advanced and settings, change active hours.
OR, just turn off updates altogether using the group policy, OR have the updates download when you say say by
marking you connection as metered, open the Settings app, Network & Internet,  Wi-FI, and click “Manage Known Networks”.
Choose your Wi-Fi network and click “Properties”. From there, enable the “Set as metered connection” option.
Updates will not automatically download on a metered connection ;)

I've got a general use laptop with Windows 10 on it that I setup the Active Hours and Metered Connection settings almost a year ago now. It will still check for updates and notify me when they are available but won't download or install them till I tell it to.

The Active Hours and Metered Connection features are ones people who don't like Auto updates should make use of.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »
Yes, that is correct, it will not download or auto install.
Kind regards
Bashy