Author Topic: Hub question  (Read 2445 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Hub question
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

Here is a hub question. Right now the belfry boy data cable is plugged directly into the TP Link router without the hub. It's working great and the Internet light is flashing rapidly, indicating the router is transferring data. Trouble is, the router freezes every afternoon and must be reset. After which it works fine again.
When the hub is placed into the picture, with the belfry data logger plugged into it, the TP Link internet light stops flashing and goes solid, indicating that no data is transferring. Weather Underground stops updating.
How is this supposed to be set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
Re: Hub question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
Hang up of logging process is related to missing hub. Please get the hub.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »
And not all USB hubs are created equal.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
TP link crashed again this evening.

Ok, a different hub then? 

Vue (Belfry Boy) data logger into hub.  Hub plugs into power separately.
Hub plugs in USB to TP Link.  Without freezing TP Link.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:46:43 PM »
I use an unpowered hub.  Had to try three before I got one that worked reliably.  Chipset differences I guess?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
I use an unpowered hub.  Had to try three before I got one that worked reliably.  Chipset differences I guess?

This is helpful to know.  I will immediately shop for another hub, one that is backward compatible with USB 1.0, as my present one claimed to be.  It is apparently useless.
If anyone has a hub that has not failed to work in this situation, with a Davis Vue console, please recommend it.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
Hang up of logging process is related to missing hub. Please get the hub.

Yes, getting a different hub.  I was confused by the failure of first one, which was supposed to be backward compatible with USB 1.1

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »
If I had problems like you, I would right away try with another TP-box, they are very cheap (where I live, same price as a quality USB-hub) and I think Boris will be very helpful moving the license.

And, I don't understand this "When the hub is placed into the picture", like photoshopping?  :eek:

Regards
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:44:50 PM by droiddk »

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »

And, I don't understand this "When the hub is placed into the picture", like photoshopping?  :eek:

Regards

Here's what I meant by that; the TP Link works by itself flawlessly for hours a day. But then it stops.  However, when I would place the USB hub in the line (data logger cable into USB hub instead of directly into TP Link, and then USB hub instead into TP-Link) the data would instantly stop flowing.  I wondered if I had the hub hooked up correctly, I tried to hook it up differently or using different ports, no luck.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:07 PM »
Here's what I meant by that; the TP Link works by itself flawlessly for hours a day. But then it stops.  However, when I would place the USB hub in the line (data logger cable into USB hub instead of directly into TP Link, and then USB hub instead into TP-Link) the data would instantly stop flowing.  I wondered if I had the hub hooked up correctly, I tried to hook it up differently or using different ports, no luck.

That was also what I was thinking but English is not my first language so have not heard it that way before ;)

What about getting another TP-Link?

Regards

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »
Try a new TP link.  And yeah, I think you are one of the very few for whom this does not work.  My two hubs have worked for years, no issue at all.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:13 AM »
Well, after playing with the new hub for awhile, it seems to be working and transferring data.

When hub is plugged into the TP-Link, the Internet light stays steady illuminated instead of rapidly blinking like it does with no USB hub.
So I am happy to make progress.
Now, since I see that the hub allows data transfer, if the TP-Link should freeze again, I will definitely know its the router and not the lack of a hub.
I do appreciate greatly the suggestions that better informed people here have provided, thank you.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
Frozen again as of about 1915 local time.

So that's it.  It's the router.  The 2nd hub worked, no reason to suppose it failed.
The WLAN light on the router went from flashing to solid, indicating no data transfer. 
I just wonder why?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
The Meteobridge stack uses a lot of the memory so maybe a bad sector/segment in the router memory?  Some folks use the Dlink 505 as it has more memory.  Hope the new router works!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
The Meteobridge stack uses a lot of the memory so maybe a bad sector/segment in the router memory?  Some folks use the Dlink 505 as it has more memory.  Hope the new router works!

Thank you.  No, can't get the new one going.
For the time being, I am giving up on Meteobridge.  I learned some things (partially) from messing with it and asking questions, but I don't know enough to successfully troubleshoot it and it won't keep running for me.

Back to direct computer hookup to Weather Link for now.  Too bad.  Appreciate attempts at assistance.  For a couple of weeks it ran fine and I was pleased with it.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
After weighing my options, I have decided to go Pro.  It's as much as my weather station, but I suppose equally important.  Hopefully, this will eliminate all the problems I have had with the hubs and routers and setup.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
No, can't get the new one going.

Why? Same problem?

Regards

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
If it is the same issue, then it is not the TP Link.

anything