Author Topic: Just upgraded my weather station  (Read 4594 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Just upgraded my weather station
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
No, I am just shocked.. sorry if it came across that way. :???:
Thanks. All we're trying to do here is make your PWS better, as you requested. There is great wisdom on this board for just such a thing, whether you take it or not is obviously up to you.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 09:04:32 AM »
CW2274 is right. We are not trying to be arrogant or anything like that, we are just giving it to you straight, so you don't have to keep working over the same mistakes. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run so that you can actually enjoy your weather station.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 12:54:10 PM »
It is kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to me like Phil2010's rain bucket is on the "gable" side of the roof, not the eave. So at least the rain won't be running off the roof directly into the bucket. So if there is no wind he will probably get pretty accurate measurements. Still, it is not a good placement, but maybe not quite as bad as it seemed at first glance.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline phil2010

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
I am in a wheelchair, so just getting all the sensors up has been a pain and struggle waiting for people to put it all up for me, and yeah all the sensors are probably in the wrong place, even the anemometer is because the vane spins around quite a bit, that wanted to be higher, but I have to try to make do. But if the sensors start to bug me with inaccurate data, I will try and get them moved. I think the most accurate data is the temp sensor thats under the barn and even thats in the wrong place :-(

So yeah I am very greatful for all what your saying and if I could mount the sensors my self, they would be properly place and id prob break my neck from doing it too... God if I was abled, I would be dangerous.. hehe
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:19:13 PM by phil2010 »

Offline phil2010

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »
Hey guys, I have just ordered myself a ip camera so I can view my rain bucket and anemometer on my pc instead of having to go outside all the time.. :-)

Offline phil2010

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
Well its been quite warm and sunny today, the temp under the barn is 21.7c and the one on the  anemometer is 26.7c and starting to drop now. So about 5-6c difference, Id thought the anemometer would of got alot warmer, as its being attacked by the sun?

The anemometer gets quite a few c lower at night then the temp sensor under the barn, So Im guessing the temp from the anemometer is more accurate then the one under the barn during the night times, as its not sheltered from anything?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:14:53 PM by phil2010 »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
If you could get ya anny 10m in the air then i really do not think there would be a vast difference
in temp, this is perhaps why its in the anny, to get it away from any radiating heat, you have it
far too low, if you was close to me i have a 6m scaffold pole that would help and i feel it would
make a vast difference to your temp readings, not to mention the wind readings too, been some
great advice for you on here...

As for your "No way,"  reply, i took that as being  :shock: (are you from the UK?)  but it i very
easy to take something the wrong way with the written word because its hard to portray the
emotion that goes with it, emticons can make a lot of difference, for example, "no way" and No way :o "
Its more of a UK saying i think :) damn, i waffling, its my tablets lol anyway, carry on.... :D
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline phil2010

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply Bashy, do you mean the radiating heat comming off the roof as I am pretty sure the temp sensor is on the base of the anemometer and being blocked with the wooden post thats inbetween the roof and sensor. I am thinking about asking someone to move the post higher but would about half a meter make any difference to the wind vane, as its not very steady? But yeah I really wish I had some of you guys near where I live, to get it set up properly.

Yes I am from the UK and "no way" is like "no way, really, I didnt know that", so Im sorry if it offended, I do apologize.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:01:33 PM by phil2010 »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 12:56:26 AM »
Thought you were :)

More of a, all radiating heat,  gardens find it hard to get
To provide good enough ventilation due to buildings, out buildings, fences, hedges etc, theres a lot if eddying and any heat tends to stay longer, thats why some times it will feel why out the back or front at any given time.

I know this from experience, I have a largeish garden, but fences all round, I was struggling with my sensors reading 1 to 2C higher during the afternoon, even when I bought a Davis With a 24hr fan, still had a 1c issue, so,
I put the temp up on the mast, it's at about 13ft and about 7ft higher than my summer house roof, I have now eliminated that extra 1c, placement makes a big
Difference, if. Ya gonna have a weather station, ya might
As well try to get the best out of it, wind as high has you can, temp in shade or 24hr fan screen/sheild easy to make, and rain mounted a few inches above the lip of the fence.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline phil2010

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:08 AM »
I have managed to get my wind sensor a bit higher up as the readings were all over the place before and not constant. But I am happy to say now that the readings seem to be much better now its higher up, just hope it doesn't wobble much when the wind picks up.. The pole was from my old wind sensor that was on the side of our house and it has taken 60+mph winds and a tornado, so its quite a strong pole.