Author Topic: Anyone else having issues  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Yank61s

• Davis Weatherlink
Anyone else having issues
« on: November 20, 2016, 01:06:04 PM »
Anyone else having issues with their bloomsky app.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Anyone else having issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »

Offline saberonyx

• my weather and astronomy site
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
I belong to a facebook group called Bloomsky Users Group. They have up to the minute info often.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline saberonyx

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »
Yesterday the moderator saud the trouble was with the Google server. Most will be fixed today,mine was.

Offline saberonyx

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 12:20:24 PM »
Things are still on and off again with the big Bloomsky switchover,but at least the camera is working.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
the camera works sort of..  I had the one image ended at 12 pm and then started up a few minutes. the data hasn't up dated . I looked at my portal and 11:59 am was the last data recorded.

I look at the Bloomsky as a toy.   The VP2 is the station I have.   I am hearing about the new Sky2 and Storm, that there are problems with customs as they are made in China, problems with shipping them with lithium batteries.   If you recall not that long ago Chinese lithium batteries were over heating and exploding, and guess where these folks bought the batteries, so I see the situation.

I am further guessing that the designers and the company is by young kids who had a nifty idea, but finding out that if you are going to offer service such as they are doing it, you have to maintain it after business hours and on the weekends.  Seems that their system goes down on the weekend and no one does anything until they open on MOnday.   

I did a Kick Starter for them , and now they are more concerned about shipping their Storm unit to the EU than to the locals.  I was promised an October, then November now December ship date and that keeps getting pushed back.

I also am reading about people having trouble with their new units not working.  Hence..  no more kickstarter for me, no more Bloomsky. once this unit goes down, it is down.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:08:26 PM »
I haven't had a full days time lapse since the beginning of September. Most days I get just a couple hours, if anything at all.
If I would have bought this unit I would be very upset.
I really think they need to focus on quality. Then after that, more quality. And finally when all is said and done make sure they have quality units. You can't put something outside 24/7/365 and use inferior parts.
I have no idea how their second generation units are constructed but if they want to be taken seriously they need to step up to the plate and deliver a product that wows people because this first go round is junk.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline saberonyx

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
the camera works sort of..  I had the one image ended at 12 pm and then started up a few minutes. the data hasn't up dated . I looked at my portal and 11:59 am was the last data recorded.

I look at the Bloomsky as a toy.   The VP2 is the station I have.   I am hearing about the new Sky2 and Storm, that there are problems with customs as they are made in China, problems with shipping them with lithium batteries.   If you recall not that long ago Chinese lithium batteries were over heating and exploding, and guess where these folks bought the batteries, so I see the situation.

I am further guessing that the designers and the company is by young kids who had a nifty idea, but finding out that if you are going to offer service such as they are doing it, you have to maintain it after business hours and on the weekends.  Seems that their system goes down on the weekend and no one does anything until they open on MOnday.   

I did a Kick Starter for them , and now they are more concerned about shipping their Storm unit to the EU than to the locals.  I was promised an October, then November now December ship date and that keeps getting pushed back.

I also am reading about people having trouble with their new units not working.  Hence..  no more kickstarter for me, no more Bloomsky. once this unit goes down, it is down.
I guess your right, but they replaced 3 for me already very fast,so i cant complain

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:13:09 PM »

they replaced 3 for me already very fast
How are these people still in business?

Offline saberonyx

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
Probably because they give you a replacement very fast. On the facebook page i know many who have 2,3 and 4 in this first year already

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »
Probably because they give you a replacement very fast. On the facebook page i know many who have 2,3 and 4 in this first year already

Ummmm, that's my point.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 06:49:08 PM »
I'm almost ready to turn up a second station in Texas, but I'm putting it off until the "Storm" unit arrives, I'm guessing next week from the look of it.

If not, it will probably have to wait for setup until after Christmas.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
My temp and humidity are reporting right.  My pictures are updating and I'm getting a time lapse. 

But it reports Night=Yes, even though it isn't night.  Luminance:    12192938 cd/m2 which I'm assuming is way off.  But time/date stamp of last upload shows about every 10 minutes still.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
I was interested in the Bloomsky but held off when I heard about the early problems. Is there any way the data can be captured on a local PC ? I just am concerned about depending on someone elses' system to give function to a product. What happens if the network goes out or they fold ? I have a Kodak W1020 wifi picture frame that used to display news and weather. Then FrameChannel shut down. Now it is a color display for my weather station. I have seen internet connected scales for weight watchers which are now doorstops because their service folded. Just wondering if it has a secondary connection that would prevent it from becoming an orphaned device.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »
At this time, no.  No way to direct connect.  It uploads to the Bloomsky servers on Google.  You can download CSV data from their dashboard. But that's it, unless someone figures out how to hack the firmware.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
where I am right now,  I have been using their portal so I can monitor the charge in the camera.  Since 11:59 am on 11/30  there has been no data update in the portal.   Unless the portal url has changed and no one told us. However, I do get the movie, but I am having IFFFT store them on my google drive

Offline saberonyx

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
where I am right now,  I have been using their portal so I can monitor the charge in the camera.  Since 11:59 am on 11/30  there has been no data update in the portal.   Unless the portal url has changed and no one told us. However, I do get the movie, but I am having IFFFT store them on my google drive
Yes 11/30 is my last date on the portal too

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
Yep....definitely a problem.....that image shows there is something wrong with the unit. I just checked the camera has been blank since that last image....... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:08 AM »
This is one reason I will never ever buy a product that I do have control of the information it produces. Been burned before when companies go belly up or get bought out and my hardware becomes a doorstop. I didn't buy my Bloomsky so I really don't care that the info doesn't get updated, it just confirms my thoughts on this.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 01:22:56 AM »
I agree. I hope someone is working on hacking the unit so that data can captured and displayed locally. I have a Kodak W1020 wifi picture frame. It was cool when FrameChannel was working...news, weather, sports, pictures from friends, etc. all displayed on it. When FrameChannel shut down I was still able to use it as a color display for my weather station. So not so much a doorstop. Recently I saw a wifi, internet cloud connected scale...I give it 6 months to a year before the company drops support or disappears creating another tech doorstop.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 02:36:31 AM »
....Recently I saw a wifi, internet cloud connected scale...I give it 6 months to a year before the company drops support or disappears creating another tech doorstop.

I guess it varies with vendor, but my Fitbit Aria scale has been working about 4 years now.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
The scale will work without a Fitbit connection with a reduction in features. But at any time you could lose those features without any warning and there is nothing you can do to get those features back.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
The scale will work without a Fitbit connection with a reduction in features. But at any time you could lose those features without any warning and there is nothing you can do to get those features back.

True, but the point is it has been 4 years and there has been no reduction of features.  It certainly passed the 6-month mark without the service going out-of-business as was speculated earlier.

Sure there are risks when relying on outside resources.  On the other hand, there can also be benefits.  You just have to decide for yourself whether it is worth it to you or not.

anything