Author Topic: TIP: Installing GRLevel3_1 on Windows 10  (Read 4120 times)

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Gentoo X = Complete_Control
    • El Dorado Weather
TIP: Installing GRLevel3_1 on Windows 10
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Just a heads up!

Thought I might be able to lessen the pain for perhaps some of you installing GRLevel3_1 on Windows 10. I had no problems getting GRLevel3_2 to run on Windows 10 but GRLevel3_1 was a different story.

I installed GRLevel3_1 on Windows 10 and had a major issue in getting it to upload the files to my website. As I recall, I had a problem getting it to run on Windows 7 too. It would upload for about one hour and then just stop. I tried most everything, including running it as administrator. The fix was running it in VISTA compatibility mode and I didn't need to run it as Administrator.

The fix to Run GRLevel3_1 On Windows 10 when the GRLevel3 program icon resides on the taskbar:

Right click on your GRLevel3 icon on the taskbar.
You will see another icon for GRLevel3, right click on this icon (looks identical to first grlevel3 icon) and select properties.
Now you should be in the "GRLevel3 Properties" window, click on the Compatibility tab at the top of the window.
Under the "Compatibility mode section", put a click on the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for."
Under this same section, click on the drop down menu "down arrow" and select Windows Vista.
Apply/OK.
That's it, it should now upload properly.

-Danny
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:56:51 AM by ELDoradoWx »
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: TIP: Installing GRLevel3_1 on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
That kind of goes without saying that GRLevel3_1 doesn't work on Win 10 as it is outdated and no longer updated as it was replaced with GRLevel3_2.

Bigger question is if you have GRLevel3_2 why would you need to run GRLevel3_1?

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
That kind of goes without saying that GRLevel3_1 doesn't work on Win 10 as it is outdated and no longer updated as it was replaced with GRLevel3_2.

I run 4 California radar stations with GRLevel3_1 & GRLevel3_2, with one copy of each on two separate computers.  YES GRLevel3_1 DOES work perfectly well on Windows 10. Your position that GRLevel3_1 "doesn't work on Win 10" is incorrect!
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »

I run 4 California radar stations with GRLevel3_1 & GRLevel3_2, with one copy of each on two separate computers.  YES GRLevel3_1 DOES work perfectly well on Windows 10. Your position that GRLevel3_1 "doesn't work on Win 10" is incorrect!

Little late to the party. At the time this was posted there was a documented issue with running GR3V1 on Windows 10 since it is not further developed. Due to the requests it was updated to work on Windows 10. Still doesn't replace the fact GR3V1 is outdated and as of recently changed in NWS URLS have caused problems with GR3V1 even working or working in the future. Mike has made a temporary patch but there is no guarantee it will continue to work. He's also stated at some point people will need to upgrade to GR3V2 since GR3V1 updates will be limited. All this has been discussed on the GR owners forum.

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »

Little late to the party. At the time this was posted there was a documented issue with running GR3V1 on Windows 10 since it is not further developed. Due to the requests it was updated to work on Windows 10. Still doesn't replace the fact GR3V1 is outdated and as of recently changed in NWS URLS have caused problems with GR3V1 even working or working in the future. Mike has made a temporary patch but there is no guarantee it will continue to work. He's also stated at some point people will need to upgrade to GR3V2 since GR3V1 updates will be limited. All this has been discussed on the GR owners forum.

Late to the party for posting a work around last december? You didn't have to have any patch to get it to work or any alteration. You just stated GRLevel3_1 it did NOT work! I stated that I had it working and how I did it. So what's the issue? IF you had new information you should have added it to this post back in December. Also, getting a connection is simple. My copy of GRLevel3_1 has been working on Windows 10 uninterrupted since last December, no sweat.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:40:38 PM by ELDoradoWx »
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »

Late to the party for posting a work around last december? You didn't have to have any patch to get it to work or any alteration. You just stated GRLevel3_1 it did NOT work! I stated that I had it working and how I did it. So what's the issue? IF you had new information you should have added it to this post back in December. Also, getting a connection is simple. My copy of GRLevel3_1 has been working on Windows 10 uninterrupted since last December, no sweat.

Late to the party for commenting to a reply I made back in January when it's now August? You clearly stated you were having issues with it uploading. I NEVER said that it did NOT work. I was referring to the issue you were having was not working with Windows 10 and it's obvious as why as it was replaced with V2 and V1 is not being maintained as it was. Your issue was an issue others had and was documented on the GR Owners forum. Just because you made an hack to get it to work doesn't change the fact. Take it for what it's worth. This issued was addressed by Mike.