Author Topic: Problem uploading data to weatherlink.com  (Read 12609 times)

Offline rpedroletti

Problem uploading data to weatherlink.com
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
Hello,

I've been using a vantage pro 2 with ip datalogger for a couple of months. Everything went right since the very start : I created my weatherlink.com account (http://www.weatherlink.com/user/rpedroletti/), and data uploaded correctly. Since 2012/04/26, no data get uploaded to the site, although my weatherlink software (6.0.0) does manage to connect to the station and get data.

I rebooted the station several times, but weatherlink.com still mention a reboot time on march.
The station is connected through datalogger to my router, which is connected to internet. I checked my router : I can see connection between my station to weatherlink.com

What can I check to go further ? any clue ?
Thank you,
Richard

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Problem uploading data to weatherlink.com
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Just checking some dates here.  What do the following say in your My Account settings?:

Archive Data Uploaded:
Data Downloaded:
Console Last Rebooted:

Is your currents page updating properly (the every minute upload)?

Something is probably blocking the transmissions to wl.com.  Maybe your router or some other hardware is the culprit, e.g. a hardware device such as the Meteohub can interfere with the WLIP  updates.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »
Just checking some dates here.  What do the following say in your My Account settings?:

Date Registered:17:49 Thursday, March 1, 2012
Archive Data Uploaded:23:33 Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Data Downloaded:Never
Console Last Rebooted:21:21 Thursday, March 1, 2012
Hardware Version:1.1.1
Firmware Version:1.0.9

Is your currents page updating properly (the every minute upload)? No, it's not. Actually, it's still on 26/04/2012

Something is probably blocking the transmissions to wl.com.  Maybe your router or some other hardware is the culprit, e.g. a hardware device such as the Meteohub can interfere with the WLIP  updates.

I don't have a meteohub device. I'll check again what can cause the problem.
Dom

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:22:27 AM »
Are there any telnet commands I could try from a workstation of my Lan so that I can check I can send data to WL.com ?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »
Reboot the console again - make sure you remove all power including AC. 

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
Hello,

Well I tried everything I thought :
- reboot everything, including removing battery
- connected station directly behind modem
- firmware upgrade/downgrade
- contacted wl.com support to delete my account and start from scratch

Actually, 2 possibilities are remaining :
- hardware problem
- network/software problem.

Concerning the latest, I would like to try telnet commands from my work station to simulate data upload from my lan to wl.com
Is there someone reading this forum who knows them ?

Regards,
Richard.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
The classical question would be:
"Since 2012/04/26, no data get uploaded to the site, although my weatherlink software (6.0.0) does manage to connect to the station and get data."
...what changes were made just before that?

However:

Hello,

Well I tried everything I thought :
- reboot everything, including removing battery
- connected station directly behind modem
- firmware upgrade/downgrade
- contacted wl.com support to delete my account and start from scratch

Actually, 2 possibilities are remaining :
- hardware problem
- network/software problem.

Did you remove the logger (removing battery, etc.), and then reinstall it properly?  Just in case?

There is some history in the forum, about problems with particular modems/routers and particular ISPs.

However, your WLIP is still in warranty.  Contacting Davis to get it replaced would be a good move - and if replacing the WLIP doesn't fix the problem, then that's a great indication that there's a network/hardware/software problem.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »
If you know the IP address of the WLIP, what does the web interface report? Put the IP address in your browser and the WeatherlinkIP Configuration page should load.

If you don't know the address, you can find it using the Weatherlink Software on the PC with "Setup", Communication Port, then "Find" on the local device IP. Also on this page, what does the "Test" button report? Does it find your station?

In the WeatherlinkIP Configuration page, is the "Upload to weatherlink.com" box checked?

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »
If you know the IP address of the WLIP, what does the web interface report? Put the IP address in your browser and the WeatherlinkIP Configuration page should load.

If you don't know the address, you can find it using the Weatherlink Software on the PC with "Setup", Communication Port, then "Find" on the local device IP. Also on this page, what does the "Test" button report? Does it find your station?

In the WeatherlinkIP Configuration page, is the "Upload to weatherlink.com" box checked?

Hello,
Thank you for helping.
my WLIP IP address is 192.168.1.200.
I tried this with chrome
http://192.168.1.200
http://192.168.1.200:22222
None of them answered

Do you which port should I use to connect to this admin page ?
Thank you
Richard

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:57:02 AM »

I tried this with chrome

None of them answered

It will be port 80, so http://192.168.1.200 should be fine - don't try any other port number.

Are you sure that 192.168.1.200 is still correct and that it hasn't changed? If you try to 'Find' the logger from the Communication Port dialogue of Weatherlink then does it definitely still report this particular IP number?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:35 AM »
Just checking in on this again. JohnD is correct, you don't need anything other than port 80 (default).
In the "Communication Port" dialog box, does "Test" find your station?
Can you ping 192.168.1.200 from a command prompt?

Offline mulveyr

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 08:25:55 AM »

Hello,
Thank you for helping.
I tried this with chrome
http://192.168.1.200:22222
None of them answered

Do you which port should I use to connect to this admin page ?
Thank you
Richard

Do you have *ANY* weather software running at all?  I've found that when my WLIP is being used by WeatherLink/wview/etc, the WLIP browser page will not respond.

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »
So here are the tests I did :

- check my datalogger IP address and pinged it : OK
- tried several time to get the admin page. After several attempts, I finally managed to touch it. It seems indeed that if something is running (software, ...), it's hard to get it. Here is the data I got :
WeatherlinkIP Configuration

DeviceID:001D0A0047B6 Hardware:111 Firmware:109 Bootware:101
   Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
TCP Port for serial communications 22222

Upload to weatherlink.com is checked
Diagnostic Information:  DNS:1 Status:0

some time after :
WeatherlinkIP Configuration

DeviceID:001D0A0047B6 Hardware:111 Firmware:109 Bootware:101
   Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
TCP Port for serial communications 22222

Upload to weatherlink.com is checked

Diagnostic Information:  DNS:1 Status:2

Don't what this status means (0|2) ?
I also tried to enable/disable the "update to weatherlink.com" checkbox. Did nothing good.

concerning the Test button in weatherlink :
It always tells me the port is already used by another program. I tell again that I can connect weatherlink software to get my station data. This works. The only thing that is not working is upload to WL.com

Other tests to do ?
Thank you.
Richard

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »
I wonder if the WLIP is losing connection to or losing track of its DNS? I'm pretty sure that you want the DNS status at 0.

You might try testing with the Davis Network Info Utility: http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/Weather/Network_Info/   It will tell you all about your network, but more importantly it will track down your WLIP's IP, tell you what DNS server the WLIP is using, and if the WLIP's DNS server can currently resolve the IP of the the Davis wl.com server.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
I don't think you answered this question:

Do you have *ANY* weather software running at all?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
When I try to connect to your weatherlink page, I get File Not Found

When my own data is stale the date at the bottom of the page turns red. Shouldn't the weatherlink.com page show this instead of File Not Found?

Something like this...

Current Conditions as of 12:14 PM Thursday, June 14, 2012
Vantage Pro2 Plus data via WeatherLinkIP

Can you log into your account on weatherlink.com? Maybe the problem is at that end... :idea:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:20:16 PM by miraculon »

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
I wonder if the WLIP is losing connection to or losing track of its DNS? I'm pretty sure that you want the DNS status at 0.

You might try testing with the Davis Network Info Utility: http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/Weather/Network_Info/   It will tell you all about your network, but more importantly it will track down your WLIP's IP, tell you what DNS server the WLIP is using, and if the WLIP's DNS server can currently resolve the IP of the the Davis wl.com server.

Actually, still no answer to my problem. My next step is to use a network sniffer like wireshark to see if I can discover something more.
To be continued.
Richard

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »

I've been using a vantage pro 2 with ip datalogger for a couple of months. Everything went right since the very start : I created my weatherlink.com account (http://www.weatherlink.com/user/rpedroletti/), and data uploaded correctly. Since 2012/04/26, no data get uploaded to the site...

What can I check to go further ? any clue ?

I think it might be useful for you to check why that WeatherLink.com account is no longer valid.  I suspect if it's not a valid account, it would not accept data uploads.

Offline rpedroletti

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
Hello folks,

Here I am again, problem still there.
What I did today :
- installed wireshark to sniff network packets
- ran it and collected data.

From the data I got :
- After booting, console and data logger starts quickly to try to connect to 209.119.63.221 (d1-77-3f-dd.static.davisnet.com)
- Wireshark shows that the data logger keeps on sending SYN packet to this IP, with no answer (I never get any SYN / ACK from the server)
- If I try to telnet 209.119.63.221 80 and send a GET / from my workstation or from my routeur, I do get answers from the server.
- I checked in my network firewall (WRT54G) if packets got blocked : no packet from 209.119.63.221 are blocked
- I managed to connect to datalogger admin page (http://192.168.1.5), and played with the upload to wl.com checkbox : it does start and does stop connection attempts from datalogger to server
- If someone is crazy enough to open my pcapng file, please know that : 192.168.1.5 is the IP address of the datalogger; 62.147.199.102 is my public IP address

So : TCP connection between my station and the server can't be created.
I then started to think if it could be a problem with my wl.com account (http://www.weatherlink.com/user/lesmolunes). To my mind, it's not the case as I think that device id and device key would be checked after tcp connection is made.

My conclusion : a hardware problem.
What do my buddies think of that ?
Thank you

Richard.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:05:38 AM by rpedroletti »

Offline johnny

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
Hello folks,

Here I am again, problem still there.
What I did today :
- installed wireshark to sniff network packets
- ran it and collected data.

From the data I got :
- After booting, console and data logger starts quickly to try to connect to 209.119.63.221 (d1-77-3f-dd.static.davisnet.com)
- Wireshark shows that the data logger keeps on sending SYN packet to this IP, with no answer (I never get any SYN / ACK from the server)
- If I try to telnet 209.119.63.221 80 and send a GET / from my workstation or from my routeur, I do get answers from the server.
- I checked in my network firewall (WRT54G) if packets got blocked : no packet from 209.119.63.221 are blocked
- I managed to connect to datalogger admin page (http://192.168.1.5), and played with the upload to wl.com checkbox : it does start and does stop connection attempts from datalogger to server
- If someone is crazy enough to open my pcapng file, please know that : 192.168.1.5 is the IP address of the datalogger; 62.147.199.102 is my public IP address

So : TCP connection between my station and the server can't be created.
I then started to think if it could be a problem with my wl.com account (http://www.weatherlink.com/user/lesmolunes). To my mind, it's not the case as I think that device id and device key would be checked after tcp connection is made.

My conclusion : a hardware problem.
What do my buddies think of that ?
Thank you

Richard.
I restore this thread, because i have the same problem.
As far as i can see, the station lesmonules updates normally the wl.com.
What's the solution?