Author Topic: Access on 100 + MBPS  (Read 2559 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Access on 100 + MBPS
« on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
I upgraded to Spectrum ultra high speed internet, and now I understand why folks are having issues, because now I am as well. Apparently access does not like it.
Also Spectrum gave me a modem with 4 ethernet ports, but only one is actually live. The others are blocked! So you must use this 1  port to wire your router and then use your router ports for any other devices that are hard wired. It took me a few hours to figure out what was up with that, since I did not have to do this with the old identical Arris modem. The speed is off the chart on Ookla however from the provider. I am not sure what the solution is for access. Right now I managed to get it up and running again, but not sure if it will fall off again...

Offline stevexyz

Re: Access on 100 + MBPS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:51:17 PM »
What issues exactly are you having? I have gigabit fiber to my house and no issues that I've noticed with my AcuRite Access.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »
The access will drop out and the red light will start blinking on the front. The lights in the back will either go out or just stay on with no flashing, meaning no data flow. Right now it is normal. If it drops again tonight, I will update tomorrow. I never had this go on when I just had 10 Megs.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:57:40 AM »
Up to about a month ago I was using Spectrum at 75 Mbps over cable with no issues.

I then switched to AT&T using VDSL2 at 75 Mbps.  No issues there, either.

My guess is that they didn't set aside enough memory for network connections.  It doesn't take much to hit a point where you can't open any more connections until old ones age out at 30 seconds or so.  You can see the Access running out of connections on the local splash page.

If that's the cause, it should be easy enough to fix, but pushing out updates to affected folks could be troublesome.  After all, how do push out a network update when you're having problems with getting a solid network connection in the first place?

Offline stevexyz

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:43:48 AM »
The access will drop out and the red light will start blinking on the front. The lights in the back will either go out or just stay on with no flashing, meaning no data flow. Right now it is normal. If it drops again tonight, I will update tomorrow. I never had this go on when I just had 10 Megs.
Bummer. I have five sensors reporting on my Access on a gigabit connection and no issues; the light is always solid blue and the data show no gaps. Wonder what's going on. Any other devices in your house having trouble?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »
No other devices having trouble since I figured out that I needed to hook them to the back of my own router instead of using the cable modem ethernet ports. The access is also working like it should now. It's just confusing that it worked when I had a slower internet connection by just plugging it in. I never had to toy with it to make it work.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
I have never heard of a provider blocking Ethernet ports on a router modem. Are you sure you do not have a bad one.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
I have never heard of a provider blocking Ethernet ports on a router modem. Are you sure you do not have a bad one.

I called the provider, and they told me to use port 1 only hardwired directly to my PC, (I could get none of them to work initially) and they had to turn it on somehow remotely... The only conclusion to me is that they want me to pay for Wifi that is built-into their modem, rather than be able to hook up more devices such as my own router. I could get no internet connectivity from my Netgear router, even though it was hooked to port 2, my meteobridge to 3 and Access to 4. After I got my PC working by the tech instructions, it took me a few hours to figure out that only 1 ethernet port would do downloads, the others would only upload. I then disconnect the hardwire to the PC, and all other ethernets to their Arris modem, reboot it, plug #1 into my router, power it up and things started working finally, except the access didn't like the set-up at first, until I fiddled with it by taking battieries out and disconnecting power to it for a while. My Desktop is still hardwired, just from a port on my netgear router.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
That's ridiculous I'd be finding a new provider never hear of such a thing.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
See if you can get your own modem I did that with my ISP and it saves me a few bucks each month. I think it paid for itself in 3 months?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 06:07:22 PM »
See if you can get your own modem I did that with my ISP and it saves me a few bucks each month. I think it paid for itself in 3 months?

I used to be able to do that with Time-Warner, but a couple-few years ago they changed to Spectrum.  Time-Warner knocked $10 a month off the bill if you provided your own modem.  However, Spectrum now bundles in the cost of the modem, and my $10 discount quietly vanished.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
If you have the phone with cable, you cannot use your own modem. There is no other internet provider here with anywhere close to the speed cable provides, or I would change.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
If you have the phone with cable, you cannot use your own modem. There is no other internet provider here with anywhere close to the speed cable provides, or I would change.
Do you really need 100mbs tho? do you have many devices? heck less then 10megs gets me by just fine.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »
Do you really need 100mbs tho? do you have many devices? heck less then 10megs gets me by just fine.
It was slow for me what I had. Also it cost less to take the deal, a lot less, and get rid of T. Warner pricing. Sometimes, the connection still buffers at over 100! I don't think speed is the issue, I think it's their lines across town etc. It isn't just me, lots of people complain about it.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »

I see, so it's a bundle. We ditched our landline a few years ago and just use our cellphones. We have cable for internet only; we stream our TV or watch local on rabbit ears. Hope you can get it sorted out!

George,
That's amazing...so limited options there to save a few bucks. Unreal.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »

I see, so it's a bundle. We ditched our landline a few years ago and just use our cellphones. We have cable for internet only; we stream our TV or watch local on rabbit ears. Hope you can get it sorted out!

George,
That's amazing...so limited options there to save a few bucks. Unreal.
That's what I need to do, I have DISH and there price is getting outa hand like everything else.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »
I wanted a Dish again, (used to have it) but with all the other options such as streaming, etc, and Spectrum being the only internet worth having around me, I decided to take this deal. I do use OTA TV and get two markets worth of it, since the picture is higher quality on most signals. I have some low power stations that carry Antenna TV, Cozi TV and Heros and Icons. The CBS station has Get TV and Escape. ABC has Comet, Movies! FOX 26 has This TV and Grit. FOX 14 has Charge and Stadium. The others offered I don't watch, such as Bounce, and CW, MYTV and TBD

anything