Author Topic: WeatherLink 2.0 - IE Blocked by Digital certificates  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
WeatherLink 2.0 - IE Blocked by Digital certificates
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
Anybody else seeing this issue with server digital certificates blocking links to WeatherLink 2.0? 

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink 2.0 - IE Blocked by Digital certificates
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:08:21 AM »
All fine here in the UK for me.

But not 100% sure what you mean - is it that attempting to reach wl.com is not allowed because a certificate is being reported as invalid by the browser (for which I think you're using some version of IE)?

Guess the obvious question is what happens with Chrome or Firefox - IE being probably the last browser many here would consider using these days, with all its history of bugs and issues.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:12:58 AM »
Not reaching WL.com due to expired certificate and yes this is using IE and yes Chrome is ok but there should definitely be no discrimination or excuses made between IE & Chrome unless Davis specifically make reference to IE and/or simply block IE all together with valid reasoning. This type of issue is not something every user of IE should have to deal with, this is firmly sheeted back to Davis servers in this instant. 

WL2.0 certainly has an affection for Chrome and is not very format friendly with IE in many regards and this has been forwarded to Davis many times but either Davis needs to fix the issue, have the problem fixed or simply lock IE, something which I doubt Davis will do but what it does is simply highlight their lack of concern   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:17:03 AM by Mattk »

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 04:25:50 AM »
https://www.weatherlink.com/ works fine for me in IE 11. Gets a green padlock. Maybe your trusted certs are out of date on Windows, are all the updates applied?
Mark

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:29:22 AM »
Do you really mean IE and not Edge? Not sure that there's a lot of sympathy to go round for people still using IE!

https://www.ezcomputersolutions.com/blog/stop-using-internet-explorer/

But you do highlight one point still missing from weatherlink.com, which is an online Help option. This would also presumably include some specification information such as browser compatibility. Pretty sure that the Help function is on the roadmap, but guessing that quite a lot of development effort has switched for now to getting Weatherlink Live out of the door asap.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:40 AM »
https://www.weatherlink.com/ works fine for me in IE 11. Gets a green padlock. Maybe your trusted certs are out of date on Windows, are all the updates applied?

www.weatherlink.com is fine, well sort of that is until you try and log in and register which is why I do use Chrome anyway but try the embedded URL links wide/slim/signature etc in IE and see what you get.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:14:04 AM by Mattk »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 05:12:59 AM »
Do you really mean IE and not Edge? Not sure that there's a lot of sympathy to go round for people still using IE!

https://www.ezcomputersolutions.com/blog/stop-using-internet-explorer/

But you do highlight one point still missing from weatherlink.com, which is an online Help option. This would also presumably include some specification information such as browser compatibility. Pretty sure that the Help function is on the roadmap, but guessing that quite a lot of development effort has switched for now to getting Weatherlink Live out of the door asap.

John , It's really not the issue if there's a lot of sympathy for IE or not and if Davis can not or will not support IE or if IE can't support itself then they simply need to prevent it up front so people don't go running around thinking the weather station is the problem because access to the Davis server is being blocked by a Digicert

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 05:59:59 AM »
Like Mark I'm not seeing any problem with certificates under IE. But Bulletin & embeds don't render with my IE 11.0.110 (though Chart & Data do). Agreed, there should be a line of code the then HTML to highlight that IE is not compatible, but that's obviously down to the Davis programmers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:59:45 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:48 AM »
If all of the dozens and dozens of other systems that run in IE under Digicert control without issue and I would class organisations like financial and real security related sites which are at a whole higher level than Davis and if everybody can do it then what is wrong with Davis? 

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
Anybody else seeing this issue with server digital certificates blocking links to WeatherLink 2.0?
At what point are you seeing this problem? I don't have a WL account, so I can't login, but I can reach the main page with no problem, using IE 11 or Edge under Windows 10, and the certificate details check out. I would have to wonder if (at least part of) the problem is at your end.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
Its not the site that blocks the browser, its the other way around. If the browser does not authenticate the servers certificate it can refuse to display the page. If your root certificates and CRLs are not up to date then you may see bad certificates that other people see as OK - and vice versa!
Mark

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
This is not just me, this is everybody that have access to some of my embedded WL2.0 URL links. I was getting questions why stations have been down for the past 2-3 weeks, well that was news to me as there was no evidence of anything being down but when I checked the embedded URL's in IE, yep not opening. I don't think all that much of the embedded URL's anyway but it's not much point if they won't open in a browser, is it?   

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »
This is not just me, this is everybody that have access to some of my embedded WL2.0 URL links. I was getting questions why stations have been down for the past 2-3 weeks, well that was news to me as there was no evidence of anything being down but when I checked the embedded URL's in IE, yep not opening. I don't think all that much of the embedded URL's anyway but it's not much point if they won't open in a browser, is it?   
Do you, by any chance, have embedded HTTP URL links in what is presumably a HTTPS page? This will cause most modern browsers to complain at one level or another, because it is a potential security risk. There may well be circumstances under which IE treats it as a fatal problem, but I don't have an easy way of checking on this.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
Do you, by any chance, have embedded HTTP URL links in what is presumably a HTTPS page? This will cause most modern browsers to complain at one level or another, because it is a potential security risk. There may well be circumstances under which IE treats it as a fatal problem, but I don't have an easy way of checking on this.

No that shouldn't be the case, links have been working from WL2.0 ever since day 1 all beit a little ragged in format in regard some text but more annoying than anything else, Davis were made aware of these issues but nothing was actioned by them. This current issue appears to be 2-3 weeks old as there were no real issues prior to this. No issues with Chrome but IE is either a Microsoft or Davis issue I regard Digicert? way too many other independent people experiencing the same problem.     

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
This one becomes even more obscure, yesterday IE was last night opening the URL embedded links then every site went Red around the same time frame (within an hour of each other) last night and still display that last time this morning and the typical red highlight when the station is down.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of the stations, all live and current on Wl.com and Chrome opens all embedded links as normal yet IE shows them as all red.

And nobody else has seen this? I am also no longer thinking this is a digital certificate issue.   

anything