Author Topic: 5.8.3 Crashes  (Read 6658 times)

Offline aeroclown

5.8.3 Crashes
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:45:54 PM »
Anyone else having trouble with weatherlink 5.8.3 randomly crashing while uploading data. Running on a windows xp machine with Nextstorm along side it.

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: 5.8.3 Crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:58:07 PM »
I have had problems with 5.8.1 crashing in a similar way, when uploading.  My dad's WL does the same thing, sometimes at the same upload time.  In looking at the surrounding CWOP stations when this happens, it appears many other stations crash.  My WL is running on Vista an my dad is running XP, so not sure what is happening.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:13:49 AM »
My 5.8.2 on XP Pro does the hang/crash during my ARPS uploads from time to time, if that means anything to the thread. It just started fairly recently and fairly often.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline aeroclown

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
This is precisely what my machine seems to be doing as well. It seems to randomly crash during the day while handling the upload of data. I have a local file copy, wunderground, and aprs. But seems to hang at times when it is working on the aprs reports. It seems fairly random. Sometimes it will go days, sometimes it will be hours. While everything else locally continues to chug away.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
I run 5.7.1 but mine started crashing more in the past weeks since I DL some windows updates.

Offline Russell797

• Lowell Highlands Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
Running 5.8.2

Recent program hangs during the recent past also. I suspect MS updates. I did a shut down of WL and a quick repair reinstall which seems to have fixed the problem.

3 days now with no hangs.

Hope this helps
Lowell Highlands Current Weather Conditions

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »
I've noticed gaps in my APRS uploads and always suspected the severs had problems. Does your log have errors? Mine usually lists the uploads as successful.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
With mine - the upload screen will be frozen, forcing me to force close WL and restart it. Viewing the logs shows the ARPS upload as the last entry - no fail, no success - just the ARPS upload string with the usual data in it.

I was assuming it was on the receiving end of the xfer.

I haven't checked yet to see if the data was received 'cleanly' or not. I just started running StartWatch after a 30 minute power drop. It'll be interesting to see if that helps anything.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline aeroclown

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
With mine - the upload screen will be frozen, forcing me to force close WL and restart it. Viewing the logs shows the ARPS upload as the last entry - no fail, no success - just the ARPS upload string with the usual data in it.

I was assuming it was on the receiving end of the xfer.

I haven't checked yet to see if the data was received 'cleanly' or not. I just started running StartWatch after a 30 minute power drop. It'll be interesting to see if that helps anything.

Mine does the same thing. And Yes I did try a repair of the installation. However the repair didn't resolve the problem. Like I said said sometimes it goes for a few days sometimes it doesn't make a day. This is all fairly recent. The account is an administrative account with full permissions over everything. There are not connectivity problems at least locally to cause this type of failure. There are not event logs or error Logs, nothin.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
I didn't bother doing anything to WL like a repair. Being it was all recently new and only with the ARPS upload, I figured it to be on "their" end somehow. Time will tell, I guess.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
I think the entire internet connection function is fragile. If there is any problem whatsoever in any step along the way, it crashes WL.  The crashes aren't just confined to server uploads or making the internet connection. They can happen on the archive downloads or the get current conditions.  I know because I have a Meteohub LOOPing a WLIP and there is sometimes a contention between the WL internet connection function accessing the WLIP for archives or currents and the Meteohub which results in a crash.

This is for 5.8.3.  I had never tried internet upload prior to this version so I can't say how older versions would have worked for me.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »
Are any of you with the ARPS upload freeze still experiencing that?

It seems to have calmed down for me but I've since been using StartWatch (which paid for itself the first time the gremlins rebooted my system).

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
I have not had any crashes lately.  There were some Microsoft patches pushed out and maybe one of those fixed the problem that they may have started.

Offline aeroclown

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 02:45:06 AM »
Mine has gotten quite again to. knock on wood though.

Offline MooMommy

• http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4fyr3/suffern.pomona.ny/
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »
Mine isn't "crashing" the way it used to, but every time I go to download information (when I reboot and restart it) it seems to be stuck on 513 whatever...  I get the message "transferring x of 513"
I thought this was cleared up, but it is back.
I have recently downloaded some MS patches.  I am unfortunately running XP (boy, do I miss DOS!!)
Edith
Finally, my own weather page - Suffern - Pomona NY  http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4fyr3/suffern.pomona.ny/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
Had my first in a while today a 12:16.

It just seems odd that it's always on an ARPS xfer. I think I have to doubt a Windows influence and am leaning more to an ARPS receiving end & WeatherLink FTP gremlin.

Offline Russell797

• Lowell Highlands Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
I find Weatherlink generally very stable, it can run for weeks interupted only by MS update shutdowns without a problem.

I am running it on XP and generally use Firefox as my browser. I updated to Explorer 8 and on the occasions when I do run it to look for compatibility with website changes I make, I swear within hours Weatherlink will hang. I am very fearful of using that browser, suspecting uploads will fail when I am away from home.

Just another thing to be aware of, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Lowell Highlands Current Weather Conditions

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
I've set my options for MS update to download the updates when available, but not to restart the computer.  I do the restart on my own terms when I'm around to restart weatherlink.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 09:36:12 AM »
Get a copy of Startwatch or CRP at least to restart WL if it crashes.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline MooMommy

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »
Mine isn't "crashing" the way it used to, but every time I go to download information (when I reboot and restart it) it seems to be stuck on 513 whatever...  I get the message "transferring x of 513"
I thought this was cleared up, but it is back.
I have recently downloaded some MS patches.  I am unfortunately running XP (boy, do I miss DOS!!)
Edith

I am still having this problem.  I have tried to clear cache and change amount of time for download.  Still no luck.  Any suggestions?
Finally, my own weather page - Suffern - Pomona NY  http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4fyr3/suffern.pomona.ny/

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 05:31:08 AM »
Try moving or renaming the data files that Weatherlink creates/uses. Rename them so you still have them just in case but the idea is to force WeatherLink to rebuild them, which it is supposed to do if they're not present.

They will be in the directory of your station's name under the WeatherLink directory.

DataLists.dat
DataSets.dat

Offline MooMommy

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 05:57:30 AM »
no, didn't help. downloading data xx of 513...

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
try powering down the vp console (and remove batteries), then remove the ac power
then remove the data logger, wait 15 minutes, or longer, before adding back and powering up (you will loose the data/settings though)
to reset the data logger (sometimes that is needed)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
Had my first in a while today a 12:16.

It just seems odd that it's always on an ARPS xfer. I think I have to doubt a Windows influence and am leaning more to an ARPS receiving end & WeatherLink FTP gremlin.

Something new that I noticed along these APRS lines - now my logs show "Error opening APRS socket" and doesn't seem to hang anymore (at this point). That I would never get before. It would just hang WL and not show any problem in the log.