Author Topic: You want me to pay to give you my data?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline ac2ev

You want me to pay to give you my data?
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
Today I got my VP2 online and Cumulus is reporting data to Wunderground/CWOP/APRS. I fired up the Davis Weatherlink software and it appears that they want me to pay some amount of money for me to provide my data to them?

Is this correct?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: You want me to pay to give you my data?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
What logger did you purchase?

Are you asking/wanting to upload your data to Davis' WeatherLink.com weather site?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
Isn't that what IP does?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
Access to WeatherLink.com is included with WeatherLinkIP. For users with the serial or USB connections, it costs a few dollars a year. Presumably unlimited access is included in the IP's substantial price.

And WeatherLink.com is not a data aggregator like, say, Weather Underground or CWOP. It's more of a simple personal weather web page for your Davis station. They have to recover server and programming fees somehow.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
Isn't that what IP does?

Not sure what you mean by that.

I asked what logger ac2ev purchased.  If that logger is the WeatherLinkIP, then the answer to ac2ev's question is "no".  If the logger is USB or Serial, then the answer to ac2ev's question depends on what he/she is trying to do.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »
Isn't that what IP does?

Not sure what you mean by that.

I asked what logger ac2ev purchased.  If that logger is the WeatherLinkIP, then the answer to ac2ev's question is "no".  If the logger is USB or Serial, then the answer to ac2ev's question depends on what he/she is trying to do.
The few days I had IP a while back, I though I remembered some kind of fee. Could be off my rocker, too. ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
Access to WeatherLink.com is included with WeatherLinkIP. For users with the serial or USB connections, it costs a few dollars a year. Presumably unlimited access is included in the IP's substantial price.

And WeatherLink.com is not a data aggregator like, say, Weather Underground or CWOP. It's more of a simple personal weather web page for your Davis station. They have to recover server and programming fees somehow.
I use the USB, but pay nothing. Or am I misconstruing this too?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
The few days I had IP a while back, I though I remembered some kind of fee.

More details.  Are you uploading data to WeatherLink.com?   (If so, what is your site ID so we can see the data).

And you had a WeatherLinkIP logger, but no longer have it? 

If you are not uploading data to WeatherLink.com, then you don't have to pay Davis for using that site.
If you are using a WeatherLinkIP logger, then you don't have to pay Davis for using that site.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:31:39 PM by dalecoy »

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »

I have weatherlink serial. I'm not complaing as I'm not sure what the weatherlink.com provides. It appears that it may be a site to store my data and host a webpage vs a site that's going to do something with my data and provide it to everyone. Is it a "cloud service" vs an aggregator?  I saw prices anywhere from $39-$70 a year.

Im just looking to get my data to everyone who can use it.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 06:49:42 PM »
I have always understood that with a WeatherlinkIP data logger one also gets the weatherlink.com site at no extra cost, and with the Weatherlink Serial/USB data logger one can (voluntarily) subscribe and upload to weatherlink.com on an annual basis at $30.00 or 3 years for $75.00 http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06558

Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »
The few days I had IP a while back, I though I remembered some kind of fee.

More details.  Are you uploading data to WeatherLink.com?   (If so, what is your site ID so we can see the data).

And you had a WeatherLinkIP logger, but no longer have it? 

If you are not uploading data to WeatherLink.com, then you don't have to pay Davis for using that site.
If you are using a WeatherLinkIP logger, then you don't have to pay Davis for using that site.
When I first wanted to put my data online, I got IP because I didn't want to use my own PC. Then I realized that 15 minute updates were as fast as they displayed, threw a BS flag, and got the USB for my PC. That's where I've been for 3 years now.

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:02 PM »
Ok but what am a I gaining by paying to user weatherlink.com?
Are they offering to store all my data?
Are they providing my data to anyone?
I'm not against paying for them to store my data but what am I a getting out of it?

Please don't think I'm trying to put the website/service as bad just trying to figure out what it does.

I found that by being part of CWOP and wunderground my data was being used to provide wind reports for a kite surfing app. I like that they found a use for my data.

I have PV logging my data and I store it on my NAS if need be.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »
It is in my opinion much better to therefore use a meteobridge or meteostick, which you plugin to the logger and do not use the WL site.

Or alternatively, do you have to pay for sending to WU? If not then you can send data to WU and set up your own page (not to mention the advantage of having your own page, with own design, and thousands more possibilities than the outdated looking WL site) and use that instead of the WL.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
OK, Im not 100% sure, but my understanding of this is this:

You have your logger, which logs your data to its internal memory. You pay for the logger and thats it.

Now, if you want your data to be online and accessible from anywhere, Davis offers this possibility to have the logger send data to your WL site, which you automatically get with purchase. Then you pay some annual fee for the fact they offer you the space on their hosting and the data is available there. In addition the logger can also send data to WU.

2 problems:
1. you are limited to the very simple WL site, which does not show much info and in my opinion looks ugly and cannot be changed or customized in any way (as far as I know)
2. the logger cannot send data to any external FTP, which in my opinion is a rip off from Davis and basically forces you to use the WL site

Solutions:
1. use meteostick or meteobridge, which you plug in to the logger and then, send data anywhere you want - i.e. your own webpage, other weather networks, or even WU too, because the logger itself only allows sending at 15 minute intervals, with the other ones such as Meteobridge you can send as often as you like
2. use the logger to send data to WU and from there, have your own webpage, which would get data from there and do whatever you like with it
3. use the WL site, given you will have to pay the annual fee and be limited to what that offers

Offline ac2ev

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
Ok I think I got it. It sounds like WL stores my data.it also looks like there are other options for sharing data.

Like I said I have serial access to my console. Actually it's serial to a digi to a TS1 port server Ethernet via virtual serial port. I have local storage (cumulus) to store data as well as what wunderground stores. I understand I can also use a 3rd party interfaces that can bypass my PC store data directly to some online service.

I suppose I could use my Alfa wireless router with custom firmware to bypass the PC connection.

In conclusion it appears I can live without the WL connection software.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
In your situation, paying for - and uploading data to - WeatherLink.com, would put your data on this system:

http://www.weatherlink.com/map.php

It's really designed for people who want to have a "plug and play" solution to uploading their data, and don't want to be bothered (or don't know how) to set up software to upload to WU, CWOP, etc.

Offline LarryKing

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »
It's really designed for people who want to have a "plug and play" solution to uploading their data...

It is true that Weatherlink does archive station data, not just show the current data on a web page.
Any idea how long the archive data can go back in time? Years or maybe all the way back since it started up.

Is there any other way to access the WL archive data besides using the Weatherlink app?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Based on http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/faq/index.asp?ProdFam=15&submit=Get+Information

WeatherLink.com emulates the behavior of your console (or Envoy). It stores four times the amount of data on your console/Envoy. Depending on the archive interval, up to 800 days (just over 2 years) worth of weather data will be stored on WeatherLink.com. If you wish to keep your weather data for a longer duration, we suggest you periodically download your weather data from WeatherLink.com to your own PC using the WeatherLink software.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
Is there any other way to access the WL archive data besides using the Weatherlink app?

Are you talking about archive data stored on WeatherLink.com?  If so, the answer is no.

Or are you talking about archive data stored locally on your PC?  If so, what software are you using to locally store the data from your weather system?

Offline LarryKing

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
I was referring to the archive data stored on Weatherlink.com

I found the archive data to be very useful when my local data got corrupted.
Other than that, I guess the archive data is for a station users benefit only.
No one else can see it.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:00 AM »

Are you talking about archive data stored on WeatherLink.com?  If so, the answer is no.

Well, the API for talking to weatherlink.com to access archive data is fully disclosed, so in principle any third-party software can do so. But AFAIK none of the major programs (Cumulus, WD etc) have implemented this as yet. Not quite sure why because the API is simple and the data format identical to logger archive downloads.

Feel free to correct me if anyone knows of software that can do this now. Did I hear that weeWX has it implemented now?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:47:40 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:37 AM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
Thanks for correcting the wrong information that I posted.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
I know you have it solved, but a while back ISPs had vanity websites for those who wanted something to post about their kitties, duckies,etc.

I think Wlink.com is on the same order.   The only advantage I see is that I can have them send out my globe data for one of my 3 stations.   I have it because I have the IP logger and it works that way, but I wouldn't pay anyone to use my data either.

On occasion, I have redirected  my website to that location when I have lengthy computer problems.   Their site at best, is basic, no way to customize it.   

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »
Having your own web is by far the best option. So if you buy something like Meteobridge, which you connect to the logger, you don´t have to pay any fee (which soon compensates the approximately 50 dollars for purchasing Meteobridge) and you are absolutely free with regards to what you do with your data - send to any FTP, any MySQL, many weather networks at whatever interval you like etc etc.