Author Topic: WX Monitor II temp problem  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Firedawg28

WX Monitor II temp problem
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
I have a Weather Monitor II and for the past few days the outside temp is reading too high. I removed the 9v battery because it was dead (of course you never have one until you need it!). I removed power completely hoping it would reset/re-calibrate itself. Per manual, I held the temp button to calibrate and no difference. The outside temp sensor is under an eve inside a radiation shield. Everything else seems to work fine. I had done some antenna work recently. Could it be a wire problem? 

Offline hanfordwxman

Re: WX Monitor II temp problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:08:05 AM »
I too have an old Weather Monitor II (1998 wireless version) and from time to time I have had temperature and relative humidity "glitches". I have taken apart the radiation shield and cleaned the temp/rh sending unit and this has fixed the problem. I live in an area where we have a lot of dust and this fine particulate really gets inside all of the electronics. Just today I performed the biggest "cleaning job" on my station since I got it several years ago. I took apart the Weatherlink module, sprayed contact cleaner on the entire device, took apart the wireless receiving unit and did the same and outside on my transmission "box" (yes it is truly a box on the old WM II units). Thus far, I have received clean data for a couple of hours, and I hope this will fix things for awhile. My CWOP ID number is C2553 in Hanford Ca and you can see by my past data that a major glitch occurred just the other day. Someday I will get a Vantage Pro 2 but for now I am sticking with the old WMII.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
I have a Weather Monitor II and for the past few days the outside temp is reading too high. I removed the 9v battery because it was dead (of course you never have one until you need it!). I removed power completely hoping it would reset/re-calibrate itself. Per manual, I held the temp button to calibrate and no difference. The outside temp sensor is under an eve inside a radiation shield. Everything else seems to work fine. I had done some antenna work recently. Could it be a wire problem?  

Since your mounted under an eve and this just started recently, is it possible that the sun is beginning to reach that side as it progresses more northerly this time of year (unless you're in the southern hemisphere)?

Welcome to the forum by the way! :grin:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:07:19 AM by DanS »

Offline Firedawg28

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
  Thanks for the replys. DanS, the outdoor temp/hum sensor is in a radiation shield. The console shows the outside temp over 100deg f. It's never done that before. I'll try hanfordwxman's suggestion by cleaning the sensor. I'll keep you informed on the outcome.
  I understand the WMII is discontinued. Can I still buy another cabled temp/hum sensor or will I have to switch to something else? Joe

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »
I understand the WMII is discontinued. Can I still buy another cabled temp/hum sensor or will I have to switch to something else? Joe

Unfortunately the 7859 T/H sensor has been unavailable now for quite some time. You might be lucky and find a dealer somewhere with one left on the shelf, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. (Some WMII parts are still readily available, but others like the 7859 sensor and replacement consoles are not.)  Only other T/H option is to switch to using a temp-only sensor (eg 7817 is the part number IIRC) which you can still get and and forego the hum reading.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Firedawg28

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
I just got off the roof after checking all the connections and taking apart the T/H sensor. Not sure what did it, but it's working now. Thanks for the reply johnd and I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it's a sign to upgrade!! Thanks again to hanfordwxman and DanS for your thoughts.

Stay safe!

Joe
N9RYM

anything