Author Topic: Acurite getting ready to charge for Myacurite Dashboard ?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline bdh

Acurite getting ready to charge for Myacurite Dashboard ?
« on: September 09, 2018, 01:19:28 AM »
  Has anyone else received the survey from acurite/chaney wanting to know about your dashboard usage and wishes.

I filled it out and at the end they wanted to know how much I would be willing to pay for it in so many words , does not sound to promising for the future. Here is the lead in to the survey   :-(

As a valued member of the My AcuRite Community, we would like to get your input on features you use or want in My AcuRite. 

If you are interested in helping us improve the features in My AcuRite, please complete this short survey by clicking the button below.

We appreciate your feedback, and look forward to your input.

Sincerely,
The AcuRite Team

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite getting ready to charge for Myacurite Dashboard ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 02:44:20 AM »
I filled it out and at the end they wanted to know how much I would be willing to pay for it in so many words , does not sound to promising for the future.

Sounds like they are exploring "tiered" subscription services again.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Those who want advanced services might have to pay something to get them.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
...or

[tin foil hat mode]

it's a cash grab by a failing company on the verge of bankruptcy.....

[/tin foil hat mode]
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
There is no conspiracy... Go back to sleep.  :twisted:

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
I wouldn't worry I hope they know if they ever did they would loose a ton of customers I'm sure.

Did you put down, no I will not pay?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
Wunderground has become a mess. I wouldn't pay to send them data. I'm not sure if they are considering a nominal fee for CWOP, but that would be one possibility that comes to mind. They have a Meteorologist working in there that can do a lot of graphics since she used to do the Wundermap. It would be really nice if Acurite could build something of their own with all their stations on a live map. It costs money... so I see why they are going in this direction if this is what they are considering.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 11:18:49 AM »
Come February 19 they lost me as a customer.  That stoopid (tm) bridge thing...  So they can go full P.T. Barnum  AFAIC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline bdh

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
The only thing I use the dashboard for is to check and see if something not working And yes I did say I would not pay as I do not need the Storage which would probably be the first thing they want to charge for

Offline txbayou

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
Seems to me that myacurite has already been "decontented". When I was using the smarthub, it kept data for one year. But using the Access, it only keeps data for 31 days.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »
Seems to me that myacurite has already been "decontented". When I was using the smarthub, it kept data for one year. But using the Access, it only keeps data for 31 days.

Sheez why even bother to save any data if it is just 31 days. Ambientweather.net is relatively new and they recently decided to keep 1 year of data. Well I suppose most people may only check back a day or a week.

I think a more useful feature is to actually have more than 1 year (like 2 years at least). So that you can compare this past month with the previous years same month. My electric company for example lets me check my power use this year compared to prior years.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:15:27 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »

MyAcurite has always been 31 days for detailed data.

Some specific data, like high/lows, are kept longer.

I think MyBackYardWeather might have been a year at one time, but for some reason 3 months stick in my mind.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:54:20 PM by nincehelser »