Author Topic: How high above the roof?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline wb5dx

How high above the roof?
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
I have very limited mounting options for the 5 in 1.  One of the options is at the top of a antenna pole mounted about 8 feet above the roof of the house (on a tripod at the peak of the 2nd story).  It would be nearly in the middle of the house footprint away from obstructions.  But, is this location a mistake due to the radiation of heat from the roof (Texas location)?

My other option to mount on a tower (at the side of the house).  There I could get it up and away from the roof, but it would be about 2 feet away from the metal tower, closer to a large oak tree and would be notably more difficult to install.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill
Acu*Rite 1058-RM

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: How high above the roof?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
Proper PWS siting can certainly be challenging. On top of the roof is almost always a bad idea, for the exact reason you cited (being in Texas doesn't help either). If there's decent wind, you'll probably be ok, calm wind, the heat will indeed radiate upwards into unit. You may try it and see how it does, but plan on 'plan b' if you're serious about it. GL.

Offline wb5dx

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:22:49 PM »
I'm heading to HomeDepot to get some u-bolts.  The mast and mount that I had planned to use won't fit on the facia (and then angle out and away).  So, instead, I will put it on the tower.  Getting it level is going to be another challenge too. 

Thanks ... Bill
Acu*Rite 1058-RM

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
I had mine on the roof, and it was horrible for taking a thermometer reading, but also the heat affected the anemometer, and it locked up on me twice. I then took the sensor off the house and put it above grass. No more issues.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Aside from the wind, very important factor would also be the surface type of the roof. If it is something like concrete or asphalt it would be probably quite biased. If you happen to have a green roof, I wouldnt worry that much :)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »
the surface type of the roof. If it is something like concrete or asphalt
You must have sturdy homes there.

Offline wb5dx

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
On the tower it goes.  I experimented last night with some u-bolts, standing on the ground and mounting the 5 in 1 at the base.  I had to drill out the bracket, as it is designed, primarily, for mounting on facia and the like.  But, it was sturdy enough. 

So, I will dig out my tower belt and mount the sensor up about 30 feet. 
Acu*Rite 1058-RM

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
Sounds good. Give a a photo if you can.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Sounds good. Give a a photo if you can.

OT: You are missing the ending square bracket of the IMG tag in your signature so it does not work

Offline wb5dx

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:55 PM »
All done ... I think.  Hopefully the picture loaded properly.  I have it set up so that I can swing the bracket/arm back over the house (standing on the roof), then lower the arm, for maintenance to the sensor.  At least, that is the plan.
Acu*Rite 1058-RM

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
That's way up there! Is it solid? Any movement in winds over 20 MPH will set off the rain gauge.