Author Topic: Earthquakes in Arkansas  (Read 8524 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Earthquakes in Arkansas
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/23/arkansas.earthquakes/index.html?hpt=T2

Guy, Arkansas (CNN) -- Things are still shaking in Arkansas.

More than 500 measurable earthquakes have been reported in central Arkansas since September 20, ranging in magnitude from a barely noticeable 1.8 to a very noticeable 4.0 (recorded on October 11), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Geologists can't say whether they'll stop anytime soon.

Steve Wilson is looking forward to the quakes going away, he said.

"In the beginning, it was fun, it was neat, it was a cool thing to experience. But now we're wanting it to go away," said Wilson, assistant superintendent at Woolly Hallow State Park. "We've had all the fun we want."

Although drilling for natural gas has been ruled out as a cause for the quakes, experts want to continue looking at salt water disposal wells, said Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Geological Survey. Disposal wells occur when drilling waster is injected back into the earth after drilling.

Earlier this month, the Arkansas Oil and Gas commission issued an emergency moratorium on permits for new disposal wells. The commission will ask for a six-month extension for the moratorium at a January regulatory meeting.

The state also will soon become one of a few to require companies to disclose the chemicals used in fracking fluid, the water-and-chemical solution used in high-pressure drilling operations, said Shane Khoury, deputy director and general counsel for the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission.

"I think everyone recognizes that there is an increased number of seismic events occurring in and around this area. If you look at the maps, at least circumstantially, there appears to be evidence that they may be related to disposal operations," said Khoury. "But we also know that this is an area that is historically active."

Meanwhile, Sam Higdon, the mayor Guy, says the quakes' novelty is worn out.

"I think everyone just kind of figures maybe it'll just go away," he said. "And that's what we're all hoping."

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Earthquakes in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 10:28:33 AM »
Although drilling for natural gas has been ruled out as a cause for the quakes, experts want to continue looking at salt water disposal wells, said Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Geological Survey. Disposal wells occur when drilling waster is injected back into the earth after drilling.

The state also will soon become one of a few to require companies to disclose the chemicals used in fracking fluid, the water-and-chemical solution used in high-pressure drilling operations, said Shane Khoury, deputy director and general counsel for the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission.

"I think everyone recognizes that there is an increased number of seismic events occurring in and around this area. If you look at the maps, at least circumstantially, there appears to be evidence that they may be related to disposal operations," said Khoury. "But we also know that this is an area that is historically active."

Well, that sounds like a really good idea!  Lets inject water and chemicals deep into the earth where there's a known seismic fault that has caused the worst earthquakes in recorded history in the US!

](*,)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 10:30:46 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »

Well, that sounds like a really good idea!  Lets inject water and chemicals deep into the earth where there's a known seismic fault that has caused the worst earthquakes in recorded history in the US!
](*,)
    I could not agree more.  I am of the opinion that while everyone is waiting for the big one in California, the big one is going to hit in the New Madrid zone.  Asa they are not ready at all, it will be real bad! :shock:

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »
I agree with what both of you said regarding the earthquakes in north central Arkansas.  Granted it IS a seismically active area, but it seems to become more so since they started drilling for gas. 

I am also waiting on the "Big " one from the New Madrid fault, especially since it has almost 200 years since the last time.  When that happens, it will be BAD.  I mean think about it.  Between 55% - 60% of the population of the U.S. lives east of the Mississippi River and the first quake was felt in Boston, MA.  Here is a page from the U.S.G.S website with a map of the of the estimated shaking intensity http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1811-1812_iso.php.

The other "big" one I am waiting on is the Cascadia Subduction Zone off the West Coast.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
....Well, that sounds like a really good idea!  Lets inject water and chemicals deep into the earth where there's a known seismic fault that has caused the worst earthquakes in recorded history in the US!

](*,)

Ditto!  I wonder what kind of pressures they are using to inject the waste water?  I'm betting it is a wee bit more then just filling the pipe until it runs over the top.   #-o  Wonder if they are storing NG underground there as well.   :-k
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
 They could be if there is salt domes to cap the storage area.

Upstate NY has lot of swarms quakes also and no one been able to come up with an answer to that one.

Here in Alaska we are due for an 7.)  or greater  been 7 years since the last good one 7.4.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »

They could be if there is salt domes to cap the storage area.
Upstate NY has lot of swarms quakes also and no one been able to come up with an answer to that one.
 Here in Alaska we are due for an 7.)  or greater  been 7 years since the last good one 7.4.
     Alaska had quite a large earthquake back in the 60's did they not?  Seem to remember that it was very large and was accompanied by a fairly large tsunami.  I can remember the news at the time and saw a TV program about it sometime back.  If I remember right it was in the area of the Gulf.  I remember seeing a street that had a big crack and uplift in the middle of it.  Ate some cars if my memory serves right.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
Good Friday Quake   9.4 mag....... raise some area as much as 40 feet   Wiped Valdez off the map..... Tore Anchorage apart. Street you mention and Seward was hit  bad to by wave.

Tsuamini killed people as far away as Crescent City, Cal.

The good thing it was not in the dead of winter when those towns hit 20 below.  At Valdez they found railcars  washed an mile inland.   There the complete  underwater entrance to the Harbor collaspse dropping 300 feet.

I can find couple good links if any one is interested.

John

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:01:04 PM »
Well, we were just talking about this the other day.  There was an earthquake in Indiana this morning, which, I believe, is good for the people in Memphis, TN.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20101230/news/712319916/print/

I believe that small tremors release pressure over time, so that the big one is postponed.  While looking at maps and stuff the other day, I noticed that there's a connection between New Madrid seismic zone and the Wabash seismic zone.  A straight line would connect them.  So, you're free to draw your own conclusions.  I think it's interesting to consider.  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
   Right now (11:00pm EST) (4:00Z) on the History channel is a show called:
       "Mega Disasters : Earthquake in the Hearland".  It is about the New Madrid Zone and the potential of a "big one" there.
    Mark

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
Well, we were just talking about this the other day.  There was an earthquake in Indiana this morning, which, I believe, is good for the people in Memphis, TN.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20101230/news/712319916/print/

I believe that small tremors release pressure over time, so that the big one is postponed.  While looking at maps and stuff the other day, I noticed that there's a connection between New Madrid seismic zone and the Wabash seismic zone.  A straight line would connect them.  So, you're free to draw your own conclusions.  I think it's interesting to consider.  :)

My town is just above the second "L" on the map and we have been shook by the New Madrid in the past. Last one was a 5.2 quake in April 2008. It shook the town in the early morning at around 3 or 4 am and then again at around 9 am. Before that I remember something in the late 60's when everything in the house vibrated for about 30 seconds and that's when the New Madrid became more well known in the news.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 12:13:15 AM »
2s, 3s and 4s are fairly common along the New Madrid, no big thing.  5s and 6s cause some nervousness in some folks, but they happen.

They say the New Madrid is settling down and may not be much of a threat any more, at least not for now.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 06:52:53 AM »
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:19:15 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:18 AM »
Time to join the Quake-Catcher network?  http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline pm_martel

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »
There has been some evidence suggesting that the New Madrid zone is settling down. However, one of the things that I find particularly interesting about intraplate earthquakes is that it is thought that the seismic activity can migrate. If you are interested, 'Continental Intraplate Earthquakes: Science, Hazard and Policy Issues' (Geological Society of America) might be worth checking out.
There is ALWAYS more toothpaste in the tube. Think about it. (Bill Bryson)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »
As Cool Hand Luke would say, "Still shakin' Boss!"

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usb0001gkl.php
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:31 PM »
Small quake in southern Alabama

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
Small quake in southern Alabama

I saw that too.  Looked like it was out in the gulf a ways.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
I tell ya as a midwesterner we are used to tornadoes, hail, lighting, wind, rain, river flooding, blizzards, you name we have it.  However in my life I've only felt two earthquakes and they were minor and still scared the crap out of me.  I hope and pray we never see the big one here. 
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Earthquakes in Washington too...
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »
We've been getting a lot of rumblies lately centering around Mt. St. Helens, and in the news this morning, they are talking about Mt. Baker gettin' busy.  You can see Mt. Rainier from my house (the pic in my sticker is actually from Tacoma) which is the big one around here.

Here is the link to our local quake-tracker....
http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=625

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11:13 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything