Author Topic: e-rice down?  (Read 37906 times)

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
Re: e-rice down?
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:26 PM »
I see your new site is already handled by awardspace.net DNS servers already.. I'm using OpenDNS DNS services.  Your DNS may take longer to note the change, especially if it is a DNS provided by your ISP.

I note that there is currently no A (address) record for the website in the DNS, so they may not have finished provisioning your website on a server quite yet.  You should have both an A record and an MX record in DNS (the MX is for mail).  Right now, you only have NS records (for the DNS nameservers hosting your DNS domain zone file).

it's not uploading the new data from any program that i have changed i think u are seeing the old stuff still
It won't upload to the 'new' gosport.com address, since there's no A (address) record in the DNS yet.. best to shut off internet uploads on the weather programs until such time as a lookup on a tool like http://mxtoolbox.com/DNSLookup.aspx shows you have an A record, and it's not pointing to the old e-rice.net server.

still doesn't seem to wanna work :'(
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »
Oooh... I like retirement too much to be that responsible again :)

But.. thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'll just stick to hammering away at scripts that amuse me and sharing them with folks who might find them useful too.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
Mike,
Time to call the tech support for your hoster and ask them to check on the setup of the DNS and webhost...
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
Mike,
Time to call the tech support for your hoster and ask them to check on the setup of the DNS and webhost...

I'll just go with godaddy hosting and point dns to there be much easier .. lol
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
Folks:
After working with the fourth tech support representative from Go Daddy I now have my website up and running again.  :grin:
The last tech support person realized they had set me up with the wrong web host user interface. She switched my user interface from Windows to Linux due to the types of files used on my website.

The directory in the Linux interface for all your website files is public_html.

All I have left to do now is get my Fast Secure Contact Form PHP email contact page up and running. I can't get the form to display.
I copied all files from the Web directory from E-rice.net and loaded into the public_html directory for Go Daddy. Does any one know what I need to do to correct this problem.

Thanks

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »
Oooh... I like retirement too much to be that responsible again :)

But.. thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'll just stick to hammering away at scripts that amuse me and sharing them with folks who might find them useful too.

When I saw your new registration in the support forum the thought crossed my mind "I wonder"   :lol:  remembering back to the old weather forum when it went down.   ;)  Server operator would probably take money from anyone who offered.  But the lost time liability and mass of angry customers, especially ones with businesses and lost emails would make a nightmare.  Also there is the issues of transferring the accounting end of it to a new owner.  If Alan has in fact passed away that could take months or even years for an estate to be settled up and everything unlocked to allow transfer of ownership.

At this point even if Alan were to come back after an extended hospital stay the aftermath alone could put him back out of business with demands for pro-rated refunds of those that transferred to another host and lost revenue for online business owners.   :sad:

I'm so far running well on ICDsoft.  No real issues at all to get transferred over once I figured out the proper notation to use on the different programs to ftp the files in the correct spot at the new location.  But I still have a pretty basic site.  Probably spent a couple hours off an on to get it settled in.  Lots of things to see and do in the control panel compared to E-Rice.   8-)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:07:11 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
I just read on a forum (I think it was on e-rice) that there are early talks going on about someone else taking over the account. We'll see.

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
[
I'm so far running well on ICDsoft.  No real issues at all to get transferred over once I figured out the proper notation to use on the different programs to ftp the files in the correct spot at the new location.  But I still have a pretty basic site.  Probably spent a couple hours off an on to get it settled in.  Lots of things to see and do in the control panel compared to E-Rice.   8-)

$6 a month with nothing unlimited is kinda high.  Maybe worth it if you're having no problems getting the php files to work.  I went with a cheap host, KVC, at $2.99 a month, and it was quite an ordeal to go through to get all the php pages on my site back to working order like they were on e-rice.  At least KVC support responded within minutes with my several requests, via email, for help.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:02:37 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #158 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »
[

$6 a month with nothing unlimited is kinda high.  Maybe worth it if you're having no problems getting the php files to work.  I went with a cheap host, KVC, at $2.99 a month, and it was quite an ordeal to go through to get all the php pages on my site back to working order like they were on e-rice.  At least KVC support responded within minutes with my several requests, via email, for help.

I got three years of GoDaddy for $3.58/month for three years.  I sent e-rice an email asking for a refund, but I don't expect to see it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #159 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:51 PM »
$6 a month with nothing unlimited is kinda high.  Maybe worth it if you're having no problems getting the php files to work.  ....

Yeah, they're not the cheapest around by a ways but on renewal it drops to $4.80/month which helps.  The key will be if I stay within the transfer limits.  I was Standard 3 at E-rice so now I have another 11G transfer per month and 900Mb more storage then I had before.  Thing is though the transfer meter has been broken for years at E-Rice so I have no idea how much I'm really moving around.  When I went to the 2 second updates via php Alan shut me down without notice on Standard 1 then when I sent in a trouble ticket he apologized for the lack of notice and told me I needed to go to Standard 3 because of all the page hits.   :roll:  I only average 30 visitors a day even now and this was several years ago but since it was still cheap I upgraded.  I question whether he actually knew what the transfer usage really was on individual accounts.    I have my domain with Godaddy so I was looking at them too.  This makes my #5 change because something quit working or the host had reliability problems.  Getting a little gun shy to go too cheap I guess.   ;)  Started out with a page through my ISP 2003, then
to Tripod free, then to Host Department which was a freebie at the time with no big ads until they became unstable,  then back to Tripod and upgraded to pay to get rid of the ads.  No php at Tripod so then to E-Rice in 2008.  Numerous members here in the past used ICDsoft without trouble so we'll see.  Ton of us used E-Rice too without any real troubles until this latest incident.  You just don't know with any company large or small anymore.   :roll:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:35:41 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
I just moved my site to https://www.dreamhost.com/ for 8.95 a month for 2yrs.
Unlimited users/storage/bandwidth/emails
Everything was a breeze to setup even the "whos-online map"

This is like the 3rd time I have moved my site...  ](*,) :evil: :sad:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:41:49 PM by xcom »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Folks:
I spoke too soon. I am having issues with GoDaddy.  Some of my programs as of this afternoon no longer FTP to my website. It's weird as I didn't change anything. I checked with GoDaddy and of course they said everthing is okay. I then checked with my ISP and we reset my cable modem and router - no change. According to GoDaddy's "cpanel" I am using 8 FTP connections. WeatherDisplay says it can't deal with that? GoDaddy techs stated I can use at least 50 FTP connections (which I never would). Please see attachments.

Changing from one web host to another shouldn't be this difficult. I also noticed my webpage load times are slower that with E-rice.net go figure.  :-(

Now Weather-Display "realtime" won't upload most of the time. I am also having a problem now with InterWARN not uploading.

Everthing was working fine for the last 48 hours, I don't know what changed. Does anyone have any ideas?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
I just had the same issue with charlevoixweather website on Godaddy.  It took an hour on the phone before we realized my DNS had been transferred back to Erice!
Try this to see if you have the same issue:
open a command window /dos prompt
type "tracert yourdomainname.com"
enter and check the route.
See if it reports one of the e-rice servers like mine did. 

When I did that mine traced back to e-rice.  I had verified it was release last week but somehow at some time it went back to that server. 

I called the godaddy support line and asked for a callback to keep my wait shorter.
It only took a couple hours.  My tech said he took detailed notes for this. 

edit - looking at your files you may have a different problem but I would still call and see if it is in any way related.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:37:31 PM by ironton »

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »
I spoke too soon. I am having issues with GoDaddy.  Some of my programs as of this afternoon no longer FTP to my website. It's weird as I didn't change anything. I checked with GoDaddy and of course they said everthing is okay. I then checked with my ISP and we reset my cable modem and router - no change. According to GoDaddy's "cpanel" I am using 8 FTP connections. WeatherDisplay says it can't deal with that? GoDaddy techs stated I can use at least 50 FTP connections (which I never would). Please see attachments.

I believe there is a difference between '50 ftp connections' and  'concurrent ftp connections'.

"GoDaddy:
 You can have up to 3 concurrent FTP connections, however only 1 connection per IP. Meaning, if there are 2 people in your office sharing the same IP, only one will be able to connect."

-Doug

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
I also noticed my webpage load times are slower that with E-rice.net go figure.
  Godaddy stacks up to 1000 sites on there servers.  I had 2 sites with them years back and found that access to them was sometimes slowed to a crawl so switched to E-rice which was night and day faster and a whole bunch cheaper.  This link will show you how many domains (web sites) are on the same server you are on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/.  Sure am going to miss E-rice!

Steve (KE9LZ)
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
I have had no ftp issues with godaddy. I upload WD, Weatherlink, Cumulus, GRLevel3.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I also noticed my webpage load times are slower that with E-rice.net go figure.
  Godaddy stacks up to 1000 sites on there servers.  I had 2 sites with them years back and found that access to them was sometimes slowed to a crawl so switched to E-rice which was night and day faster and a whole bunch cheaper.  This link will show you how many domains (web sites) are on the same server you are on http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/.  Sure am going to miss E-rice!

Steve (KE9LZ)
[/quote
I have 3 other sites on my server and are with different hosting companies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 09:07:34 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
I have had no ftp issues with godaddy. I upload WD, Weatherlink, Cumulus, GRLevel3.

No issues here either.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:53 PM »
ironton:
You are correct. I ran the trace and it wasn't complete. I now notice my website is working correctly and the pages are loading much faster. I ran the trace again and it's complete. It would be nice if tech support would check this when you are speaking with them.  #-o

I was pretty sure the problem was with GoDaddy as I had not changed anything on my website in 48 hours, I just didn't know where to look.

Many Thanks

ps. I did ask the GoDaddy tech how many FTP connections I could have he stated up to 50 simultaneous connections. All my connections come from one IP address. I am not sure the tech was 100% sure himself as paused several times to think about the question.

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2014, 06:43:50 AM »
Tom,
I'm glad that info was of some help and it got solved.  Sure is frustrating sometimes.
-ed

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »
Help!
I am having the tracert (trace route) problem again this morning. I called GoDaddy and service rep: Matt couldn't find any problems with FTP. If you look at my status page many of the FTP actions are not current. Matt submitted a help ticket to their technicians and their going to research and email me their findings. The weird thing here is the my website ran perfectly for two full days before I had an issue.
Matt suggested I change my uploads to once per minute from every 10 seconds to see what happens. The thought is I have too much FTP activity. Matt also stated my package $3.99/ month (half price special) uses shared resources and may not be the correct package for what I am trying to do. Obviously changing the upload times is not a long term solution.

What GoDaddy hosting package are you folks using?
Is there a better webhost (user friendly) than GoDaddy?

I need to get this resolved soon, this shouldn't be this difficult.  :shock:

Thanks

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
Hi Tom

I have GoDaddy and use the deluxe package. Are you using the IP that was assigned to FTP?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
Hi Tom,

This is the exact issue I ran into when I was with GoDaddy. They were at that time, only allowing 3 concurrent FTP uploads and I was trying to use something like 5, and this was before I started uploading GR3. This was when I moved to E-Rice. The only reason I left there was because I ran out of disk space on the Standard 3 plan. I moved to ICDSoft, and have been there since. They aren't the cheapest, but they are very reliable and have awesome support/customer service. The longest I had to wait to get an issue resolved was about 15 minutes.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
I used to be on my own ISP website for a few years.  Probably close to 8 years ago now, I switched to Godaddy.  I'm using the "Deluxe Classic Hosting Linux" version.

I only use VWS to upload data.  Mine is set to upload every 10 minutes, with the exception of the weather flash data that does every 10 seconds.  But I don't think that is an FTP push.

Outside of that, I only use CuteFTP to push my end of month data to my site.

The only issue I ever had is once I did something wrong in the Cpanel when I was changing permissions on folders.  I probably wasn't patient enough in making the changes.  It basically killed my access to my own site, and the public.  It took 30 minutes and getting to a second level tech to discover that.  But once he reset my permissions, I was back up again.  I immediately did a fresh backup of my site.  Thought I lost it for sure.

So while GoDaddy probably isn't the cheapest option out there, I have no complaints.  I'm satisfied and have no current plans on changing.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
Help!
I am having the tracert (trace route) problem again this morning. I called GoDaddy and service rep: Matt couldn't find any problems with FTP. If you look at my status page many of the FTP actions are not current. Matt submitted a help ticket to their technicians and their going to research and email me their findings. The weird thing here is the my website ran perfectly for two full days before I had an issue.
Matt suggested I change my uploads to once per minute from every 10 seconds to see what happens. The thought is I have too much FTP activity. Matt also stated my package $3.99/ month (half price special) uses shared resources and may not be the correct package for what I am trying to do. Obviously changing the upload times is not a long term solution.

What GoDaddy hosting package are you folks using?
Is there a better webhost (user friendly) than GoDaddy?

I need to get this resolved soon, this shouldn't be this difficult.  :shock:

Thanks

Tom, I've had the Economy Linux Web Hosting with them since day 1. FTP'ing clientraw every 5 seconds for almost 5 years, but I've slacked that back to 15 seconds lately. I did notice from time to tie, staring at my site sometimes it'll go a minute without updating the ajax stuff.

There's supposedly 999 other domains on my server with GoDaddy according to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

Tony
Tony

anything