Author Topic: 2810 Rain Not Reset  (Read 33533 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2810 Rain Not Reset
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
Thanks for that update. Good to know that they're doing something about it even though it going to be a little while. It will be interesting to hear from you with the sensor change information when it does arrive this fall.

Dan

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
I just thought I would add that I reported this same problem originally in January and La Crosse blew me off multiple times. As the end of my 1-year warranty is coming up I complained again, and they had me go through the pour water in for 10-tips thing and send the results. They then replied and said to pack up the whole unit, display, sensors, and all and send it in to them. Once they get it they said they would send a WS-2812U-IT system in return, but they don't have any right now so it could be a few months. (They did say the 1-year warranty would start over.)

I saw that Costco had the WS-2812U-IT for ~$80 a few days ago so I might just go buy one of those and then have a complete spare system.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
After all the hassle of the waiting, shipping/packaging, etc. I would tend to agree with you and go with your Costco idea. Worse thing that could happen would be the new 2812 still has the same problem but since you said LaCrosse would send you one as a replacement it sounds like it's been corrected. And as you also mentioned, your existing 2810 parts could be used as spares (except the thermo/hygro sensor) for you new 2812. Extra display, rain, and wind sensors. Good luck with your decision.

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »
I wonder if the reason they offered to replace the whole unit is that I mentioned that the manual states a 0.01" accuracy and maybe the thermo replacement divides the rain data in half as a workaround that is cheaper than replacing the display. I guess we will find out when I get the new one hooked up.

I've decided to buy the 2812 and send the 2810 to La Crosse for replacement. (I couldn't stand to be without it for 2 months.)

This will be my third La Crosse station from Costco. The first one was a 2308, but the wireless stopped working. The anemometer was never very good either, the turbine style that would freeze up at the drop of a hat.

Other than the double rain reading I have been happy with the 2810. (The only other problem I had was that the anemometer would fail to report sometimes but I had a metal roof blocking the wireless signal.)

Hopefully the weather will co-operate this weekend for me to go up on the roof.

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
And as you also mentioned, your existing 2810 parts could be used as spares (except the thermo/hygro sensor) for you new 2812. Extra display, rain, and wind sensors.

Looks like that isn't the case. Here are some notes from their current HeavyWeather software for the 2812:

• This version of the Heavy Weather Software only works with the WS-2812 model weather centers.
  • The 2812 display and sensor firmware were revised to calculate rain totals a bit
    differently. Therefore, the software was adjusted to use these changes in the report on
    the Data tab.

Maybe the anemometer is the same, but I would guess everything else is different.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
That's good to know and thank you for mentioning that. That explains too why the software versions on the LaCrosse website are different for the 2812 and 2810. Like you say the anemometer maybe the same (and possibly the rain gage) but the thermo/hygro and displays are not.

Offline WeatherCat

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »
I just finished replacing my 2810 with the 2812 from Costco and it went very smoothly. The rain problem appears resolved, as it now measures 0.01" per tip. (I think it reports a little slower, but that is OK.)

The anemometer appears to have been redesigned, and is a little bigger. I have attached a couple pictures showing the difference. (Maybe it will read the direction more accurately in light winds.)

The only part that seems identical is the wireless USB receiver.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:14:34 PM by WeatherCat »

Offline pierce

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
grr.  I have a 2812 bought from costco a couple weeks ago and in a major downpour yesterday, it read like 3.6" over a 10 hour period, when most of the nearby stations on wunderground were reading notably less than that, like 1.5"-2".  now, our rainfall varies widely within a short distance as I'm close to the west coast, up 300' and this area is full of redwood forested canyons between 2000-3000' ridges that are rain traps.   average annual rainfall varies more than 2:1 over a 10 mile distance.