Author Topic: Wind and Wind Gust  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Gerald

Wind and Wind Gust
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions for the wind and wind gust settings in VWS. Mine seem to read the same.  I have Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weath, PerLink 5.91 beta and VWS 14.00, Page 103.
Jerry
Altoona, IA

Davis Vantage Pro2
VWS v15.00 p15
EW7358
CoCoRaHS: IA-PK-83
KIAALTOO4

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Re: Wind and Wind Gust
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »
Here's a screenshot of my settings http://screencast.com/t/pqn1mfJF

The values shown on my website are "5 minute average wind speed" (^vva002^), "5 minute maximum wind speed gust" (^vxv003^) and "5 minute average wind direction" (^vva001^); this also sets the time period for all of your "running averages" - I use the running average THW Index for my "Feels Like Temperature" (^vva165^) since the NWS uses average wind speed for wind chill calculations.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline Gerald

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
Thank you very much.  I've modified my settings.  Of course the wind is dead calm right now but it'll pickup about 11 a.m. MST. Always does in the spring until Monsoon gets here. Did you change anything on the Calibration page? My Wind Gust settings are Gain 1.00 and Offset 0.00.

Nice website you have.
Jerry
Altoona, IA

Davis Vantage Pro2
VWS v15.00 p15
EW7358
KIAALTOO4

Offline Gerald

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
The wind came up on schedule and I am receiving gust readings on VWS. On my Weather Underground site gusts are appearing on the current conditions dashboard and in the history graph. However on the history tables the high wind speed and high wind gust are identical. Don't understand that since there is a difference on the graph.

Thanks for your help.
Jerry
Altoona, IA

Davis Vantage Pro2
VWS v15.00 p15
EW7358
KIAALTOO4

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Ahh  the great wind gust debate.     Listen no one understands this.   There does not seem to be any standard. Every software program seems to do it a little different plus every web site does it different.  All the manufactures do it different. So now you got different systems going to sites that use different data.   And on and on.

Just do a search on this site for wind gust and read till your eyes bleed.

Neither you, me or anyone else will be able to explain it.

Offline Gerald

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
Yeah Beaudog I went back and read some of the posts and see what you mean. It's just a thing with me. Wind gusts are supposed to show up and they do on the WU History graph but they don't show up in the WU History summary where they should. Just had a daily high gust of 16 mph. The summary reported high wind speed of 16 and high wind gust of 16. The graph showed wind at 9 mph with a gust reading of 16. I don't know.............

Your WUHU program seems to give a gust reading. I was going to try Cumulus but they had a note in their FAQ's that it wouldn't work if you were using USB instead of serial. Is that a problem with WUHU?
Jerry
Altoona, IA

Davis Vantage Pro2
VWS v15.00 p15
EW7358
KIAALTOO4

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
I was going to try Cumulus but they had a note in their FAQ's that it wouldn't work if you were using USB instead of serial.
I believe all 3rd Party software needs to have the Davis set up as Serial, even if you have a USB datalogger.  If you have already started it as USB you will need to run the Davis utility to undo the USB setting and then set it up as Serial.

Paul

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
Yeah Beaudog I went back and read some of the posts and see what you mean. It's just a thing with me. Wind gusts are supposed to show up and they do on the WU History graph but they don't show up in the WU History summary where they should. Just had a daily high gust of 16 mph. The summary reported high wind speed of 16 and high wind gust of 16. The graph showed wind at 9 mph with a gust reading of 16. I don't know.............

Your WUHU program seems to give a gust reading. I was going to try Cumulus but they had a note in their FAQ's that it wouldn't work if you were using USB instead of serial. Is that a problem with WUHU?

Do you send to PWS Weather?  That's where I have to look if I want to find my max daily gust.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Gerald

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »
Paul,
Ok, thanks for the info.

Greg,
Well Beaudog said I wouldn't understand this and he's right. I went to PWS and lo and behold there is the wind gust figure as it should be.   Thanks for pointing me over to PWS.

Jerry
Altoona, IA

Davis Vantage Pro2
VWS v15.00 p15
EW7358
KIAALTOO4