Author Topic: Madis dewpoint error  (Read 2678 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Madis dewpoint error
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
I noticed yesterday my dew point is showing thumbs down even though the readings or ok. I checked a bunch of sites and they are also showing the same error. Madis seems to have gone goofy again. Merry Christmas all.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Madis dewpoint error
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »
I noticed yesterday my dew point is showing thumbs down even though the readings or ok. I checked a bunch of sites and they are also showing the same error. Madis seems to have gone goofy again. Merry Christmas all.

I stopped worrying about the Madis QC readings a LONG time ago.  Much ado about nothing.  They are always compared to other stations in the area, and if those are out of whack, they will say yours are too.  My dewpoint is saying the same thing.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline gus

• Halethorpe Weather-Watch
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 11:22:43 AM »
I have gotten daily emails from weather-qc@nospam.gladstonefamily.net for the past week...

Date      UTC   Alt (mb)Temp °F   DewPt °F   Wind Dir   Speed knts
16-DEC-2016   Errs   0/284   0/284   284/284   0/284   0/284
17-DEC-2016   Errs   0/284   0/284   284/284   0/284   0/284
Davis VP2+, LabJack w/temp sensors & 1-Wire lightning counter on AMD Athlon IIx2 220, 4GB, Windows7

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »
Hi,

I too have had some bad readings with the Dew point, and before that it was the pressure all wrong for weeks, now the pressure readings are back to normal, and without any involvement from me !! really weird.  Also sent them an email, didn't get a reply.

If their quality control is sorted out it works very well, have used it for years and had very little problems with it, also there are not many sites that offer quality control over the data they receive, Awekas has quality control, but again not many others, so Madis / CWOP gets to be relied upon.

Nick. dw7240.com.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Merry Christmas Jerry,
Thanks also noticed same thing yesterday.
Randy

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »
Ted Lum on the WXQC list sent a note from the MADIS folks that it should be fixed as of today. (If I read the note correctly).

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 01:06:40 PM »
I use the readings as a handy check that everything is running ok. When i see an error it calls my attention to a possible problem and i have four stations running so i have a very good check for problems plus i am in between two metar stations and having used them over the years i have a pretty good handle on how my readings should be. I also know how computers can go bonkers and give one a headache lol. Madis is really good for those who don't have any nearby stations to compare theirs to. Glad to see they are on top of things.

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »
I too have failed QC on the dew point. Today it was 126/143 yesterday was 143/143.
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:59:16 PM »
Me too. I'm contemplating harakiri. :cry:

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
I suspect tomorrow it will be fine based on the fact that the percentage error is dropping from 100% today.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
I use MesoWest to check my readings at  there is so much differences  in the station readings here. If they show ok then I don't look any further.  Madis seems to go bonkers  when  the cold wx hits here and the inversion layers  cap off  different areas.  You can have an station on top of an ridge an mile from you and  he will be 10 to 15 degrees warmer then you down in the  hole.

John

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »
Same here for my Davis pro all.  I checked and all the other stations listed around me are likewise thumbs down.  It's obviously a computer error that it's no ones job to correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Sent an email to CWOP and asked why mine and all of the stations around me had the dew point error, didn't get a reply but I see now we are all back to 100% I guess i will take it with a grain of salt next time.  :roll:

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
Hi All,

Further to my email to MADIS directly, I received an email quite by surprise really, as I didn't expect a reply.....Here it is...

Nicholas,

The Dewpoint issue has been fixed in MADIS, please check yours and also you can review the data from [https:/madis-data.ncep.noaa.gov/madisPublic1/data]https:/madis-data.ncep.noaa.gov/madisPublic1/data.

Thanks,

Yiou

I guess it sometimes pays to kick arse once in a while, all be it probably a computer error, certainly no fault of my station or the others around me.  All ended right, at least MADIS realise there are serious users here that expect correct results from their data.

Nick. dw7240.com.