Author Topic: ObserverIP Firmware Tips - WS-2902A WS-2000 + Dealing with Meteobridge Bad Data  (Read 6138 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I figured out a way to run version 4.5.5. Don't press the reset button after flash upgrade. The IP Tools software tells you to press the Reset button after completing a successful firmware update. I understand the premise to factory reset so that no old configuration data conflicts with the new version and so that the new version gets all its settings fresh. My opinion is that this reset shouldn't be necessary, but if firmware is not designed or tested properly then resetting after flashing is a sure way to eliminate a possible problem. So in this case leaving the old configuration data there allows you to run 4.5.5 and it uploads to WU just fine and the Relative Pressure bug is fixed.

With firmware 4.5.5 you basically can't make changes to the Weather Network settings tab. However it was before flashing is how it stays after upgrading to 4.5.5. Just don't reset (this time). Or wait for the next version.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:36:23 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Firmware version 4.5.6 fixes lockout problem introduced with version 4.5.5. Several fixes and updates with 4.5.5 and 4.5.6. Adds PM2.5, fixes rain event, fixes problem with WU Relative Pressure, and of course the lockout issue in Weather Network tab.

Unfortunately DHCP IP address renewal still has a bug. I recommend using static IP.  I realize there are people running with DHCP with no problems. Perhaps it has to do with my router. My router is an Asus RT-AC68U which is a very popular brand and model and a nice model. Still every other device on my network with upwards of 38 devices all renew their DHCP lease without issues. When running on DHCP the ObserverIP will keep its IP address past the lease time. Sure it may still function but the DHCP server has no idea that the ObserverIP is still using that IP and it may had out that IP to something else and if you have a busy network (as I do) with devices coming and going then you can end up with IP conflicts. It is also possible that the router drops connection to the ObserverIP for not having a valid lease. The ObserverIP may restart automatically...but that doesn't always happen at the 20 minute mark from observation. I would have hoped that Ambient Weather would have fixed this issue by now that I reported last year. I have also been in contact with Fine Offset. They have not been too forthcoming in wanting to tackle this issue. Perhaps they think this is back burner stuff. I find it unacceptable that a device does not conform to networking standards. Bottom line....configure to use Static IP.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:28:59 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
Helo,

I tested my weewx and its working now via interceptor, however Im not satisfied to its archive duration, since weewx only allows archiving the data on mt observer Ip up to 60 seconds, above that it will cause errors. 60 second cycle is not good for my weather webpage updating that long, so many already happened within 60 seconds duration.

http://pimohweather.webutu.com/pimohweewx/

can you tell me is there any aside from weewx that can produce weather data at least 16 seconds or much less?

regards

-Mike-

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
That is not the fault of WeeWx. That is the fault of your ObserverIP and the firmware it is running. My ObserverIP sends WU data every 30 seconds. What firmware version are you running on ObserverIP? Is your ObserverIP running Ambient firmware or Aercus firmware? Or some other brand? Good news is that you should be able to run Ambient firmware on other branded ObserverIP to get 30 seconds. But maybe you just need new firmware for your brand. But best I've seen ObserverIP do is 30 seconds with newest firmware. If you want 16 second update then don't use ObserverIP and instead use a display console that does 16 second updates and have WeeWx intercept that, like the WS-2902A or WS-2000.
Tele-Pole

Offline dbweber

• Town of Paonia
The Ambient Weather software team has had numerous problems with the ObserverIP.  I've been writing software since 1971 and got tired of the ObserverIP locking up and playing dead.  I put bridged NICs in my bench Linux box and monitored the IP traffic with Wireshark.  Although, the connection to ambientweather.net runs continuously, interactions with wunderground.net are problematic.  I sent the Wireshark logs to the Ambient Weather development team and interacted with them trying to fix the issue.  There are several sides to this problem.  First, the development process doesn't do regression testing on software releases.  You can see this because a new release will fix a bug introduced in the previous release which will then make yet another bug for another release.  There are way too many releases as they struggle to stabilize the system.  Second, the ObserverIP CPU doesn't have the resources to implement a proper TCP/IP stack.  This is why simultaneous accesses crash the system.  So instead of a proper stack they have a kludged approximation.  My ObserverIP is single access only and it is still unstable while the Wireshark logs highlight handshaking failures in the stack.  Conceptually, the ObserverIP is a great idea.  Functionally, it doesn't work.  What is needed is a better CPU running a minimalist Linux.  Then it would be open source and creative weather junkies could hack new ideas.  The additional cost of a more capable CPU would be trivial.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
dbweber,
Your analysis is totally correct. I too have worked with Ambient's developers directly which is actually Fine Offset. I've pointed out several issues that you have mentioned. The TCP/IP stack is a kludge. I've found that running with a static IP is a bit better but not perfect. With home automation (Meteobridge, IFTTT and SmartThings) I've have automatic power reset to the ObserverIP, so I've been able to live with it.

Good news is that ObserverIP 2 is in development and I've been recently asked to beta test even though Ambient says they don't do public beta tests when I asked. I suppose you have to be selected rather than be the one asking to test. I don't have it yet. Most likely it is the same as the Ecowitt GW1000 which I'm also working on with Ecowitt. But for now the GW1000 doesn't have direct data access except from their app. The GW1000 is coming along great and seems capable.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:45:53 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Update: I've retired my ObserverIP now that the Meteobridge can talk to the GW1000.
Bye bye thread.
Bye bye ObserverIP.

I have no use for the ObserverIP anymore. The only thing it did for me was provide data to my Meteobridge. Even though the ObserverIP is capable of extra sensors that is something I can currently do with the WS-2000 display console. Also the GW1000 is picking up all my extra sensors. Therefore I will not be keeping up with further ObserverIP firmware releases. Unless there is some compelling future reason to pull it out of my old stuff storage bin. But I doubt it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:03:59 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline shdwkeeper

Anyone know how to fix the pressure settings on ObserverIP so that Meteobridge pulls the correct SeaPressure reading. Really Frustrating.  I've attached my ObserverIP and Meteobridge screenshots.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Anyone know how to fix the pressure settings on ObserverIP so that Meteobridge pulls the correct SeaPressure reading. Really Frustrating.  I've attached my ObserverIP and Meteobridge screenshots.

Uhh....this old thread that I said I abandoned. I think you should have started a new thread for your issue....but I suppose it is somewhat related so you are forgiven. :-)

I created a new thread to answer your question:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36787.0
Tele-Pole