Author Topic: WS-2902A WS-2000 WS-1550-IP Maintenance, Cleaning the outdoor Sensor Array  (Read 1636 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Some tips for cleaning out the outdoor sensor array on the WS-2902A Osprey. This is the same outdoor sensor array on a few models; WS-2902A, WS-2000, WS-1550-IP, WS-1900.

This is a check list for every 3 months
  • Disconnect power to your console (and/or ObserverIP) before inspecting and cleaning - prevents false readings
  • Yes you should worry about dirt and debris even if you have no trees
  • Consider adding bird spike DIY solution if you find evidence of bird droppings.*
    https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35387.0
  • If you think you can clean it without disconnecting the console don't blow into the rain tipper as that will cause it to tip
  • Don't use any cleaning fluids as that could cause the plastic to dry. Just use damp paper towel or thin cleaning rag
  • Check for spider webs inside and outside of the sensor array.
  • If you have a bad insect problem the manual states that it is okay to do a quick spray of insecticide
  • Ensure that your bubble level is still indicating that it is level
  • Check battery compartment, inspect for leaks and test and replace batteries if needed, red light underneath should blink every few seconds.
  • Replace batteries every 1 or 2 years to prevent leaks. Use Lithium AA batteries for better extreme temperature performance. Don't use rechargeable.
  • Test that anemometer and wind vane spin freely
  • Check mounting hardware for tightness and rust
  • Make sure unit is still properly pointing north
  • Don't forget to give the rain funnel a turn so that it doesn't fly off...it doesn't lock but just turn it
  • Wipe radiation sensor
  • Wipe solar panel
  • Wipe radiation shield and inspect for bugs and insect stuff
  • The manual states to spray the top of the sensor array with anti-icing silicon spray to prevent snow build up. I'm not doing that...I live in Florida.

*If you do find bird droppings please let us know in the following thread.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35254.0

I was not expecting to find any dirt in my rain tipper. What a surprise to find dirt in there with no tree around. I guess the wind and rain must bring down dirt. I brought a small screw driver to hold under the tipper while I cleaned it and I decided to leave the console powered. Then when I was done I decided to blow into around the tipper to see if any spiders or insects were hiding in there...and to my surprised the tipper did a full tip....so don't do that. Disconnect the console.

Here are some photos of the dirt (and a dead bug) and where I found spider web under the array. My station has been up and running for 3 months. The recommended maintenance is for every 3 months.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Dirt even with no trees around...and a dead bug. 3 Months in service. (No bird droppings...yet...fingers crossed).

Spider web under the sensor array between the pole and the radiation shield.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:41:28 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WS-2902A WS-2000 WS-1550-IP Maintenance, Cleaning the outdoor Sensor Array
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
6 Month Update

After owning this station for 6 months the maintenance so far is as expected. some debris in the rain gauge and little spider webs.

Oooh No! It is yellowing! :(

The biggest issue I'm noticing is that after just 6 months I'm seeing the white plastic starting to yellow. It is just faint at the moment. Sensors seem to be fine though. Not sure what issues this yellowing could present long term. If the plastic gets more brittle or if it is no big deal. For some though it might become unsightly. If it gets too yellow then even if it is working I'm not going to like seeing it too much. I'm wondering if I should have sprayed it with something to protect against UV yellowing. If anyone has any advice regarding this please share. I'm eyeing the separate anemometer from Ecowitt at the moment so I'll at least let this ride till the 1 year mark to get the most out of the warranty. The only problem I see with the separate components from Ecowitt is that I'm not liking their outdoor thermometer that is not in a radiation shield. But their rain gauge looks nice. But again this rain gauge is probably the same white plastic as my current station.

From up close when you remove the rain gauge funnel you can more easily tell the difference in the yellowing, because you can compare the part in the rain gauge that is normally covered and doesn't get sun. This is after having just cleaned it.

With the rain gauge funnel installed it still looks good and you can't really tell it has yellowed.

It is possible it won't continue to yellow. At least I hope so. So we'll see.  :sad:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:19:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: WS-2902A WS-2000 WS-1550-IP Maintenance, Cleaning the outdoor Sensor Array
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:21:49 AM »
I have a suggestion. For my old FO station I have periodically over the years given it a misting of Suntan lotion on the basis that it gives the plastic a degree of UV protection.
It may or may not be rubbish, but my old station has survived nearly 9 years without any significant plastic degradation, so in my mind its helped!

The other thing that's worth sharing is if you use the PTFE/Teflon spray on the rain collector you make it hydrophobic and as such improves the sensitivity for light rain/drizzle.
Obviously it also helps on the rest of the sensor array if you are in parts of the world that gets snow each winter.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything