Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 54370 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #450 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »
They make a lot on beer, too.

Wanna guess how the C-stores make money?  Cigarettes.  I've seen the numbers from one of the largest C-store/gas station operators in the US and smokes are THE biggest profit center.  So much so, that they tried to create standalone smoke shops.  Local legislation killed them though.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #451 on: October 08, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
Was in Andalusia, AL, day before yesterday....2.179 at a Marathon (Wallyworld).  Naturally I forgot to gas up, so here at home (~45 miles NE) we have *just dropped* down to 2.359.<sigh>  We had a station in town that used to hold the other stations' feet to the fire...it was kind of the moderator of gas prices.  It was recently bought out by some southern asians and it appears to be running with the pack, now.   :-|
When I had my Little Debbie route years ago the convenience store operators all said the same thing. They hardly made anything off gas. It was there just to get people to stop inside. It's true. You can get get a bottle of Gatorade at a dollar store for a buck but when you buy from from a C store it's like 1.60 and up. The chain stores like Circle K, 7-11 etc are even more expensive.
I don't know about your area but around here those C stores are becoming relics. They can't compete with the bigger chains. A lot of empty stores around here.
Yes, we refer to what your talking about as the "twinkie principle".  C-stores used the gas prices to lure customers in to by the more profitable "twinkies".  I think the trend is changing a bit, though, as there are some wide variations within a 20-40 mile range.  Smaller, .05-.10 variations are common within our small town.  Interestingly, the Marathon stations situated at Walmarts tend to have some of the best prices around, but some of them are nothing more than a window you deal with the clerk through to buy cigarettes, drinks, and a few other items while others are regular walk-in stores.  But, yeah, if you walk in one of the c-stores and buy mostly anything then they've made a good profit.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #452 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Was in Andalusia, AL, day before yesterday....2.179 at a Marathon (Wallyworld).  Naturally I forgot to gas up, so here at home (~45 miles NE) we have *just dropped* down to 2.359.<sigh>  We had a station in town that used to hold the other stations' feet to the fire...it was kind of the moderator of gas prices.  It was recently bought out by some southern asians and it appears to be running with the pack, now.   :-|
When I had my Little Debbie route years ago the convenience store operators all said the same thing. They hardly made anything off gas. It was there just to get people to stop inside. It's true. You can get get a bottle of Gatorade at a dollar store for a buck but when you buy from from a C store it's like 1.60 and up. The chain stores like Circle K, 7-11 etc are even more expensive.
I don't know about your area but around here those C stores are becoming relics. They can't compete with the bigger chains. A lot of empty stores around here.
Yes, we refer to what your talking about as the "twinkie principle".  C-stores used the gas prices to lure customers in to by the more profitable "twinkies".  I think the trend is changing a bit, though, as there are some wide variations within a 20-40 mile range.  Smaller, .05-.10 variations are common within our small town.  Interestingly, the Marathon stations situated at Walmarts tend to have some of the best prices around, but some of them are nothing more than a window you deal with the clerk through to buy cigarettes, drinks, and a few other items while others are regular walk-in stores.  But, yeah, if you walk in one of the c-stores and buy mostly anything then they've made a good profit.

We say-"Thats the price of convenience."

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2018, 06:04:56 PM »
Well, it's not a new story, but an old one - rising gas prices. I paid $2.49 today, that's the most since 2015 and I have to go to CO and NE this year for reunion?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
About $2.70 in central Florida.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2018, 06:56:45 PM »
$3.46 yesterday at Costco here in SLO.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
Just made a 2,400 mile round trip. Further west I went the higher the prices. Gas was around $3.20 for 85 octane Utah and western Colorado, 87-88 octane was $3.35. Here its running about $2.75 for 87 octane.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
South Alabama varying around $2.60...it's the "summer tourist rip-off price increase season".  :evil:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #458 on: April 27, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm heading to CO and NE for reunion this summer, I'm sure I'll find some discomfort along the way. I used to have a boat on the lake and the marina price was always at least 10-20 cents per gallon more, they had us by the throat, you can't carry 70 gallons of gas down to the boat.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #459 on: April 27, 2018, 12:28:40 PM »
Actually Texas will rebate the tax on gas used off road, but I never remembered to keep receipts etc. It would have added up at $.20 per gallon and I used a whole lot of gallons, 70 gallons every time I filled up and that was pretty regular - ha.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #460 on: May 01, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
$2.34 at Wal-Mart here.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #461 on: May 02, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
$2.51 at Murphys/WalMart in Marble Falls today. HEB was their competition until they tore out the old store a few months ago, the new HEB is open and the new gas station will open soon, so hopefully it will bring it down a bit.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #462 on: May 04, 2018, 08:29:22 AM »
I saw a news article the other day that mentioned something about how high gas prices will help the electric vehicle industry.<duhhh, really?>  I wonder how much pull Elon-wasisname has with the oil companies....

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #463 on: May 04, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »
Ours came down a penny or two yesterday. I was watching Nova last night about batteries and I believe they quoted Bill Gates saying if you took all the batteries in the world they would only power the requirements for the world for 10 min, so I don't think the fossil fuel industry is concerned.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
Gas prices vary quite a bit where I live. They differ by as much as 25 cents within just a couple of miles.

West Virginia has always had a high gas tax, so when I travel to Virginia, it is nice paying almost 50 cents less.  8-)

Closest station to my house is $2.67, was $2.79 last week.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
$3.539 yesterday at Costco here in SLO.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
I had to go into Austin yesterday and think I saw $2.69 so it's creeping.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2018, 09:03:39 AM »
I paid C$1.349/lr as expected coming to our May 2-4 weekend which I think is over $5/gal.  That is from under $1.10 a couple of weeks ago, and within a couple of cents of the highest we've ever had - http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/18/gas-prices-victoria-long-weekend/

Not enjoying!
Paul

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
Arco $2.95, Costco $2.85.
John
W7JKG

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »
I paid C$1.349/lr as expected coming to our May 2-4 weekend which I think is over $5/gal.  That is from under $1.10 a couple of weeks ago, and within a couple of cents of the highest we've ever had - http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/05/18/gas-prices-victoria-long-weekend/

Not enjoying!
Paul
Why is it that when you cross the border the price nearly doubles?

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
Thursday night, Troy, Alabama...2.49
Friday afternoon (yesterday), Luverne, Alabama...2.59

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #471 on: July 21, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »
We're down to $2.50 at Murphy's today. Hope it keeps going that way, I have to go to Colo and Neb next month for family reunion. Actually, I don't even care if the price is lower, if it's just cooler it will be worth it, we've already had 9 days 100+ this month plus 4 back in June, a real TX heat storm this year.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #473 on: July 21, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »
How "NW"? My X was from just W of Oberlin, made many a trip out there, but long time ago now.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #474 on: August 22, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Well, a 2,400 mile round trip, TX/NM/CO/NE/KS/OK/TX and I think the highest was $2.76, so not a bad year for travel. It was a family reunion in NE, but the roads were a trip back in memory like Raton Pass when it was a 2 lane goat trail. As a kid in the late 40's we did the NE to Denver trip in our '36 Plymouth on hot dangerous two lane roads with a canvas water bag hanging off the front bumper - things sure have changed. The worst this year was Oklahoma City, their roads are still in the goat trail era!