Author Topic: Basic questions about building weather website  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Boki

Basic questions about building weather website
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new on this site and this field of hobby so i'm sorry if some of my questions are stupid. But i'm very curios and ready to learn this new field for me.

I'm building a website for my town in Italy, and i'm about to acquire a weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2, so:
1. Can i get station without console, only sensors connected to my computer?
2. Can i send weather informations to my website in json, xml (realy don't know it encapsulet data)?

I've used Wunderground to get some informations, but the first station is too far from me and data information are not accurate, and for services i would need they charge 300$ a month  :shock:
3. So using Davis Vantage Pro2, can i get forecast informations for example, 7 days forecast, 10 days hourly..etc? Or do i need large weather community like wunderground for those infos?

I'm ready to send data from my station to wunderground in exchange for satellite images, trip planner... What do you think about that?

Thanks in advance!  :-)

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Re: Basic questions about building weather website
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new on this site and this field of hobby so i'm sorry if some of my questions are stupid. But i'm very curios and ready to learn this new field for me.

I'm building a website for my town in Italy, and i'm about to acquire a weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2, so:
1. Can i get station without console, only sensors connected to my computer?

You could get a station without a Console, but it would be pretty much useless. The Console (or Envoy) is what processes the data from the station, so without one not much could be done.

2. Can i send weather informations to my website in json, xml (realy don't know it encapsulet data)?

If you are ready to write such. The common practice is to ftp a txt or html file to a web host site.

3. So using Davis Vantage Pro2, can i get forecast informations for example, 7 days forecast, 10 days hourly..etc? Or do i need large weather community like wunderground for those infos?

No, a Davis system does have a simple forecast, but you would most likely want to use something else for a detailed forecast.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Boki

Re: Basic questions about building weather website
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »
Ah ok, thanks for answers.

Another thing is, how do i transfer data to computer, do i need data logger, or simple usb connection?

anything