Author Topic: Atlas Has Arrived  (Read 20315 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Has Arrived
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
Who says they'll cancel the orders.  Amazon has usually offered better kit prices then Acurite. I was the one that asked what components were included in the bundle and Acurite confirmed that it's the "full meal deal". An Amazon backorder doesn't always mean imminent order cancellation.

That is what happened when some prices showed up on those links months back.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
Who says they'll cancel the orders.  Amazon has usually offered better kit prices then Acurite. I was the one that asked what components were included in the bundle and Acurite confirmed that it's the "full meal deal". An Amazon backorder doesn't always mean imminent order cancellation.

That is what happened when some prices showed up on those links months back.

Well I just placed an order and will see how it plays out.  I can always cancel.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
$199.99 & Free shipping
AcuRite 01009M Atlas Weather Station with High Definition Touchscreen Display . Shows as in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XK7GRQ/?coliid=IAG5RT904PQVA&colid=MUG0SDO321YO&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Update:
I ordered one today and got comfirmation from Amazon
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:30:33 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
$199.99 & Free shipping
AcuRite 01009M Atlas Weather Station with High Definition Touchscreen Display . Shows as in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XK7GRQ/?coliid=IAG5RT904PQVA&colid=MUG0SDO321YO&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Wow.  That I can almost see that as being a legitimate listing, but how can they make money?

Maybe they're trying to get a lot of momentum going through Amazon?

Hmmm.....

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
$199.99 & Free shipping

Thanks!! Didn't see this kit.  Better deal since I already have an Access hub. I changed my order.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Nice cutaway view of the Atlas internals.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
$199.99 & Free shipping

Wow.  That I can almost see that as being a legitimate listing, but how can they make money?

Maybe they're trying to get a lot of momentum going through Amazon?

Hmmm.....

This listing doesn't include the lightning detector, just the Atlas and HD display. So you are basically saving $50 by ordering on Amazon. Plus "free" two day shipping.

Normally the Atlas is $150 and the display is $100, so that would be $250 total. So that's a 20% discount, not huge but they'll make make money.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
I guess if you didn't get in on the $40 Access upgrade, this is a way to get back in the game.

$199 for an Atlas and an Access.   :shock:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01008M-Weather-Station-Monitoring/dp/B074XK4BSN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1537545709&sr=8-5&keywords=Acurite+atlas

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
I downloaded the manual and could not find an answer...does the display have a USB port in case software will be available for it? Or is the display connected to Wi-Fi?

Near the bottom edge there is a small removable panel that hides a USB port and a depressable switch.

I imagine the port is "factory use only" for now. 

Depressing the switch doesn't seem to do anything obvious.

Thanks...I inquired with a software developer about the port and they pretty much speculated the same...a flash/diagnostic port...not much hope in getting data out of it for software use.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »
I guess if you didn't get in on the $40 Access upgrade, this is a way to get back in the game.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01008M-Weather-Station-Monitoring/dp/B074XK4BSN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1537545709&sr=8-5&keywords=Acurite+atlas

With two Accesses, would you have two tabs on MyAcuRite (I have that with SmartHub/Access) or would they combine into 14 sensors on one tab?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »

Amazon is losing money on this. I would jump on this quick before it changes... The Atlas is worth at least $185 by itself .

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »

With two Accesses, would you have two tabs on MyAcuRite (I have that with SmartHub/Access) or would they combine into 14 sensors on one tab?

You would have two tabs.

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
If anyone has an Atlas on Weather Underground please share the station ID, especially if you live in Florida. I'd like to see the data and how it handles 100% humidity.

It is unfortunate that Weather Underground lumps all Acurite stations under the same station type. I'd like to be able to tell them apart from a 5 in 1 model.

Southern California, but:

KCAMOORP29 is my Beta Atlas that has been flying for nearly a year

KCAMOORP12 is my 5-in-1 in the same location, however temp and humidity is shared from a tower sensor in a radiation shield (which is actually is about 15 feet from the Atlas).
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2018, 02:04:29 PM »
Amazon is now showing the fully configured Atlas with Access, display and lightning detector as in stock for $275.10. Now, that is very tempting.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01007M-Touchscreen-Monitoring-Lightning/dp/B074XKB239
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »

Amazon is losing money on this. I would jump on this quick before it changes... The Atlas is worth at least $185 by itself .

I doubt Amazon is loosing any money.

I think it's more likely Acurite cut a sweet deal for Amazon to get some momentum and get back into the game.  Amazon is almost always cheaper then buying the same widget direct from the manufacturer.

Acurite's competition is the WS-2902 at $169.00 for sensor and display.  It would be tough for them to be priced >$200. It'll take a long time before they're recognized as being in the same league as Davis.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:37:16 PM by davefr »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »
If anyone has an Atlas on Weather Underground please share the station ID, especially if you live in Florida. I'd like to see the data and how it handles 100% humidity.

It is unfortunate that Weather Underground lumps all Acurite stations under the same station type. I'd like to be able to tell them apart from a 5 in 1 model.

Southern California, but:

KCAMOORP29 is my Beta Atlas that has been flying for nearly a year

KCAMOORP12 is my 5-in-1 in the same location, however temp and humidity is shared from a tower sensor in a radiation shield (which is actually is about 15 feet from the Atlas).

Interesting thank you for sharing. I like that the humidity nicely reaches 100%. The wind doesn't seem to ever register lower than 1 mph. And why is there no UV and no Solar on displayed on WU? I also noticed precipitation rate is not really the rain rate per hour but rather the accumulative amount that hour. On the Meteobridge for example there is a setting to change the type of rain rate sent to WU (accumulative vs rate per hour). I'm referring to the green line graph in WU. Is there a way to change the rain rate method reported?

Here you can see the Meteobridge offers two ways to report rain rate (check box)

Here is the rain rate reported by my preferred method. Rate per hour. You can see the spikes of how fast it was raining. Three different waves (green line). Then the blue line is the total accumulation.

This is the exact same rain event the same day captured by a different software (same hardware) and reporting rain rate not as really rain rate I think, but more of how much accumulated at that moment in time. Harder to see the rain cloud waves. This is the method I see Acurite using unfortunately. I hope it can be changed.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:41:29 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »

I doubt Amazon is loosing any money.

I think it's more likely Acurite cut a sweet deal for Amazon to get some momentum and get back into the game.  Amazon is almost always cheaper then buying the same widget direct from the manufacturer.

I've noticed if you search for "Acurite Atlas" on Amazon, the Atlas isn't getting "top billing".  In fact, Ambient and Davis are getting higher results.

Could it be they're trying to force the Atlas to the top of the list through low prices?

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
I wonder if Costco will ever sell this model. They have AcuRite products. Their weather stations offered in the past was LaCrosse. My 2813 unit was very good. Probably not this year, but maybe next?
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »

Actually, the Atlas by itself sells for $150 on the Acurite site.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »
Interesting thank you for sharing. I like that the humidity nicely reaches 100%. The wind doesn't seem to ever register lower than 1 mph. And why is there no UV and no Solar on displayed on WU? I also noticed precipitation rate is not really the rain rate per hour but rather the accumulative amount that hour. On the Meteobridge for example there is a setting to change the type of rain rate sent to WU (accumulative vs rate per hour). I'm referring to the green line graph in WU. Is there a way to change the rain rate method reported?

According to the upload protocol there is no "rain-rate" reported.

What you're supposed to report is the amount of rainfall in the past 60 minutes.  Developers have differed on what this means.  Does it mean a rolling 60 minute window, or does it mean a fixed hour window?

Another problem is that ever since wunderground changed their graph format a few years back, they seem to be schizophrenic in how to plot rain rate data.  It seemed to change randomly.  It could be that it depended on what particular server you hit at the time.

The current firmware level of the Access (47) is not properly reporting UV and light intensity to wunderground.  There are some obvious typos in the string that need to be corrected, and wunderground also wants Acurite to report data to a different host name.  I've no idea why this hasn't been fixed yet, but maybe Acurite is waiting for wunderground to settle down with their infrastructure changes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:06:52 PM by nincehelser »

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
Amazon has 3 listing for the Atlas in different configurations that I can see; two of them are $200 and one is $275.

First configuration Includes the Atlas and the Access hub for $200

Atlas + Access Hub

Second configuration includes the Atlas and the HD display, also $200

Atlas + HD Dispay

The Third configuration includes the Atlas, the Access hub, the HD display AND the Lightning Detector and sells for $275

Atlas, Access hub, HD Display and Lightning Detector

So depending on your needs, you can save money by buying one of these bundles from Amazon, then add whatever upgrades you want after that.

Me? I bought the Access hub for $40, so I already have that. So my best bet would be Option #2, the Atlas and the display;of course I want to add the lightning detector but 'll have to buy that separately.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:07:10 PM by SkellyCA »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
A Amazon search on Acurite "Atlas" will return Atlas tagged items (quote around Atlas).

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Me? I bought the Access hub for $40, so I already have that. So my best bet would be Option #2, the Atlas and the display;of course I want to add the lightning detector but 'll have to buy that separately.

I'm the same as you, so I purchased a Atlas & Monitor. I'm nearing the end of the thunderstorm season so I'll wait and purchase the lightning detector from AcuRite.com when they have one of their 20% Off whole site sales.

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-lightning-detection-sensor.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »

I'm the same as you, so I purchased a Atlas & Monitor. I'm nearing the end of the thunderstorm season so I'll wait and purchase the lightning detector from AcuRite.com when they have one of their 20% Off whole site sales.

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-lightning-detection-sensor.html

"Black Friday" has always been a great time to buy.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »

Actually, the Atlas by itself sells for $150 on the Acurite site.
They are giving customers a break right now I believe. You must have something to view the data on right, either a display or an access... So you have to spend more than that.