Author Topic: Relocating UV/Solar sensors for Bird Spikes  (Read 452 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Relocating UV/Solar sensors for Bird Spikes
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
Well, I finally got a deposit from those winged creatures in the rain gauge. I had been saving the spikes that came with the AeroCone since I got it last year.

I was previously reluctant to add them due to the adverse effect of the spikes on the Solar (and UV) sensors. It wasn't that big of a deal and the transplant of the shelf went well. Since there was more slack in the sensor wires, it really wasn't a problem moving things.

There is one thing that concerned me however. The supports for the sensor shelf are aluminum and seem to be in close proximity to the SIM antenna if it is vertical. I angled it a bit.

I checked the Weatherlink (PC program one) plot for ISS Reception and it looks OK since I made the sensor shelf move.

I was wondering if anyone had any ill effects and how the antennas are positioned vs the shelf support.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
Re: Relocating UV/Solar sensors for Bird Spikes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
The aluminum supports possible affect on radio waves are so close to nil as to be inconsequential. As far as shadows, I had to remove just one bird spike from the aerocone to prevent a shadow from coming across the sensor during the entire day. On a clear blue day the sensor will show a nice bell curved decrease in solar irradiance on a graph as the shadow passes over.

Those bird spikes they send us are actually axles for RC car's. 

anything