Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184229 times)

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:22 PM »
Such a classic example of big fish eating little fish and spitting them out cuz they taste funny.
Unfortunately, it wasn't spat out...it came from the other end.

Offline Breezy Point

« Reply #376 on: February 21, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
The silence from WU is defening. It would be such a shame to lose their services, but as pointed out in other posts, their reputation is very tarnished. Such a classic example of big fish eating little fish and spitting them out cuz they taste funny.

What’s really sad is that the big fish is IBM. I worked on their software for years and their quality was impeccable. To me it looks like they have lost the ability to manage software and run quality projects. I would never again recommend their products, either hardware or software. My station will not be transferred to Weather.com. During the past six months I have developed my own capability to capture and analyze my data. I also have my data posted at another site now for those people in my neighborhood that use it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:47 PM »
Well azchrisf I'm going to quit complaining about my Favorites and a little missing data.  I don't have your issues.
You will.  They've quit trying to save it and now the roof is caving in.

They're sending out surveys which basically are about what we want them to put on the weather.com site.  The days of WU are very limited...I wouldn't be surprised if it were gone by July.

I think you are getting carried away. I would be very surprised if WU went away by July or anytime soon. I don’t think IBM would tarnish its image that way. I have noticed marginal improvement in how my WU page is displayed—in particular, my “gold star” stays around rather than going to Puerto Rico on vacation. That said, IBM has a long way to go to make us weather enthusiasts feel good about WU and life in general.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:18:46 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
I'm not the only one having the issue with a blank dashboard, it's been posted elsewhere.
Seems like everyone finds a different bug with the site - this is seriously laughable, but at the same time, what can we do about it? That's the sadder part.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
Just ride it out and hope that WU can make it.  Places for weather hobbyists to present their data are all good.  WU, being one of, if not the largest, hosts for our data.  I'd hate to see them go by the wayside.  My data is still uploading to them...and will continue on for them to use...or not.  If they decide to close the door I will naturally shut down the feed, but until them...let it roll.  ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2018, 10:50:42 PM »
the largest, hosts for our data.  I'd hate to see them go by the wayside.
IBM bought WU for the PWS network.  It is used to feed Watson's weather forecasting AI engine which IBM sells for huge money to corporations which need microclimate weather data.  Putting on my Carnac the Magnificent (kids, ask your parents who that is) hat, I predict that the PWS pages and data will be migrated over to weather.com and sooner rather than later.  It is not cost effective to run both sites and since WU appears to be mortally wounded it makes more sense to gather up what value remains and apply it to weather.com, which IBM also owns.  The WU site has been severely broken since the latest "upgrade" was pushed out in September, and it just keeps getting worse.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:53:37 PM by WSWeather »

Offline lstrip

« Reply #381 on: February 24, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »
Please consider updating Wundermap so that it available again on Iphone and Ipad. This app was the go to app for many PWS owners and users. The details of the app were unsurpassed. I was told by WU to use Storm as a replacement but, Storm does not even come close to the ease of use and PWS detail.
Thanks for listening.
Nice to know WU is still dedicated to PWS users.
Larry Stripling

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #382 on: February 24, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
Nobody from WU has even looked at this since January 22.  It's over.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #383 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Nobody from WU has even looked at this since January 22.  It's over.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:12:15 AM by rormeister »

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2018, 02:10:35 AM »
I think the only true way we will get their attention is to stop sending data to them.
Once alot of stations stop uploading data to them, they will notice and do something - because it's hitting them in the pocketbook.
They don't have as much data to sell = loss of profit or customers.

That's just about the only way to make a company sit up and take notice in this day and age - which is sad.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #385 on: February 25, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
I think the only true way we will get their attention is to stop sending data to them.
Once alot of stations stop uploading data to them, they will notice and do something - because it's hitting them in the pocketbook.
They don't have as much data to sell = loss of profit or customers.

That's just about the only way to make a company sit up and take notice in this day and age - which is sad.
Well, I'm going to keep sending my data for the foreseeable future.  If they fail and have good data from me and folks like me then shame on them.  On the other hand, if they fail because data that the system has grown to accommodate and now depends on is suddenly withdrawn, then shame on me.  Yes, they're struggling, and may not make it, but they have given many hobbyists a place to present their weather data to the public for years and to this date have WU has not charged me a single penny for doing so.  So what if they make some $$$ from my data.  If that is/was an issue for me, then it's easy to turn my feed off to them.  But, it's not an issue for me...I've said it before, they can either use or not use my data. 

Boycott?...deprive them of the data that they need to make things work?  Why be part of the problem?  I'll continue to give them what they need to work the problems out and if they close up shop then it's on them...not me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:37:19 AM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #386 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
Well, I'm going to keep sending my data for the foreseeable future.  If they fail and have good data from me and folks like me then shame on them.  On the other hand, if they fail because data that the system has grown to accommodate and now depends on is suddenly withdrawn, then shame on me.  Yes, they're struggling, and may not make it, but they have given many hobbyists a place to present their weather data to the public for years and to this date have WU has not charged me a single penny for doing so.  So what if they make some $$$ from my data.  If that is/was an issue for me, then it's easy to turn my feed off to them.  But, it's not an issue for me...I've said it before, they can either use or not use my data. 

Boycott?...deprive them of the data that they need to make things work?  Why be part of the problem?  I'll continue to give them what they need to work the problems out and if they close up shop then it's on them...not me.

Very well stated, I totally agree.  I have had almost no issues since late January, even with webcams.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #387 on: February 25, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
I'll keep sending data as long as it free as I gave up on my own web site and web server as it was just a pain to maintain. I feel WU pain having to keep hacker out and the web changing my simple html page could not display thing then it wouldn't scale right  :oops: computer crashes backup not installing thing back right. So if they die it would be ok I no longer care about the data if it get lost as no one else in the world is going to care if Miles is doing weather. Nowadays weather is a Dime a dozen. As long as my home display show me what is going on in almost real time I'm good very seldom look at any one else's web site or WU stuff. I often wonder who is actually viewing. Mostly you see people use a corp weather App on there phone
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline leoschulz

• Riding the Natchez Trace Parkway
« Reply #388 on: February 28, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
Well it is my turn in the barrel with WU. I spoke to soon. I get nothing.  KORNEWPO10

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #389 on: February 28, 2018, 02:42:55 PM »
Well it is my turn in the barrel with WU. I spoke to soon. I get nothing.  KORNEWPO10

Hope it gets sorted out. Did you update your status with the "WU Is working on it" part?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #390 on: February 28, 2018, 02:46:08 PM »

I just pinged your page. Looks like it’s out of it’s slumber from midnight. 2 blips are showing up at the moment.

Offline leoschulz

• Riding the Natchez Trace Parkway
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
Yes I did put "WU is working on it".  I don't know if they are or not.  I'll check and see if it is up now.  They will probably take my gold star away. ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
You are up and running! Gold Star and all! I've found that even after an outage, my Gold Star stays at my CT location. Despite having the exact same setup at my VT location...no Gold Star. I've yet to figure that one out. It may be due to my station in VT running a bit cooler than the other ones close by.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
Webcam stopped uploading since Thursday @ 16:15 checked my FTP connection and it goes through. Seems like a weekly occurrence for me, anybody else having issues.

Offline Eno

« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
Webcam stopped uploading since Thursday @ 16:15

Same time and date on my last webcam image.  No summary for days also.

Circling the drain on the WU paper ship?

Update 3/13 first webcam image returned about a week ago and yesterday Summary also.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:50:05 PM by Eno »

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2018, 09:57:38 AM »
Updated: 1:18 AM GMT on March 02, 2018 (13 hours ago) camera in my area

I am quoting a famous IT dude   "we went in to drain the swamp and now something is eating the alligators"
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »
So did that "Tiger Team" exhaust the man hours management allotted to fixing WU's most serious problems? Appears they packed up in the dark of the night and headed off to fight the next fire without so much as an Adiós or maybe Auf Wiedersehen.

Nothing on the Trello site either.

Well, they did some good but I see there was no attempt at installing an outage (status) page and looks like questions to the support e-mail continue to be ignored. Even William seems to be MIA.

Doesn't bode well for the long-term existence of WU. Maybe that survey a couple weeks ago was indeed a harbinger of where things are headed.

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #397 on: March 04, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
Hi. On the website, when I go to My Email Alerts, on that page it says my email address is unverified. I clicked on the Edit/Verify link (to try to verify the email address) but nothing happens when I click on that. is this a known bug/issue? Thanks.

EDIT- I found a workaround. The  bug reported above still exists, but if you click on My Profile and then on My Webcams it says "You haven't verified your email yet" and gives you a button to click to verify. THAT button works and send the verification email,  BUT the one in the Email Alerts section does NOT do anything at all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:14:50 AM by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

Offline Eno

« Reply #398 on: March 04, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
Hi. On the website, when I go to My Email Alerts, on that page it says my email address is unverified. I clicked on the Edit/Verify link (to try to verify the email address) but nothing happens when I click on that. is this a known bug/issue? Thanks.
You're kidding, right?

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »
You're kidding, right?

No. Why would I be?
-Paul.