Author Topic: Copper VP2 console  (Read 1274 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Copper VP2 console
« on: December 01, 2017, 06:38:32 PM »
There's so much angst around here about the dated appearance of the VP2 console, I decided to see what I could do to spiff one up.

The SteamPunkish VP2 console:

FWIW, that's a store display console with a dummy screen. If I use that on a real wireless console, I think I'll make the antenna out of a piece of copper tubing. If I decide to paint another one, I think I'll shave or sand off the lines and bumps first.

Another idea I've been tossing around is to make an oak box that fits over the intact console, with wooden buttons to press on the console buttons.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Copper VP2 console
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:55:02 PM »
Ummmm....ummmm.....

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:54:43 AM »
There's so much angst around here about the dated appearance of the VP2 console, I decided to see what I could do to spiff one up.
:grin:
I thought most people were wanting a multi-colored console, so maybe paint it rainbow colors instead?  Or maybe just stick flower decals all over it? 

Maybe Davis should make interchangeable cover plates of a bunch of different colors and themes, and every time someone gets bored with the one they have, they can spend $119 to upgrade to a new style.  Too late now to get the Christmas themed ones, but maybe next year.  :grin:

BTW:  Isn't plastic less dated than copper or wood?  At least I thought copper and wood had been in use for various things for a few years before plastic came on the scene.  :?

Interesting idea anyway.  Maybe you should start a contest to see who can spiff up their console the prettiest.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:10:15 AM »
Maybe you should start a contest to see who can spiff up their console the prettiest.
I'm not going to enter the contest, but if I did, I'd paint the console clear, so that I could watch all the gears inside turn around.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 04:19:08 AM »
Or could just wrap miniature Christmas lights around it for the multi-colored and/or holiday theme!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
So which button do I press for Chill?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
or Heat

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 04:23:07 AM »
or Dew or Solar or UV or ET or Lamps or Time or Units or Clear or Set ....?

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
You press the top right ("2nd") button twice to turn on the white lamps.  You press the "2nd" button then the top left button to turn on the blue lamps; the 2nd button and the second from the top left to turn on the yellow lamps, the third from the top left for the green lamps, fourth from the top left for red....the second from the top right for red and green lamps mixed....

Some functionality was sacrificed to provide a more eye-pleasing multi-colored display.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
You press the top right ("2nd") button twice to turn on the white lamps.  You press the "2nd" button then the top left button to turn on the blue lamps; the 2nd button and the second from the top left to turn on the yellow lamps, the third from the top left for the green lamps, fourth from the top left for red....the second from the top right for red and green lamps mixed....

Some functionality was sacrificed to provide a more eye-pleasing multi-colored display.

\:D/

anything