Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 5375 times)

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
Quick Question
« on: September 27, 2017, 06:31:37 AM »
I'm using WL and WL USB, how do I sync the Clock on the Console to the computer, I didn't see the option in the Configuration setup.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
Sync? Not really (as such) Set Time & Date, Yes [Setup] tab, Select [Set Time & date]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
I'm using WL and WL USB, how do I sync the Clock on the Console to the computer, I didn't see the option in the Configuration setup.
WL allows you to set the computer clock when setting the console time simultaneously, but they are not synced.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »
Thanks for the INFO. I'm surprised that the Console Time cannot be slaved to the WLSW and the WLSW slaved to the Computer when Time is Important. It is what it is, not going to bemoan the fact you cannot sync anything up. Will say I'm quite pleased that the WLSW, Cumulus and the 6510 installation went pretty smooth on my old Dell Studio Laptop running Vista SP1 \:D/. I almost sold that Laptop, glad I held on to that thing............

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »
Hopefully Weatherlink keeps working for you. In my experience it will be chugging along just fine then out of nowhere I start getting errors. Don't know why it happens but decided to use Cumulus as my everyday software and download monthly to Weatherlink.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the INFO. I'm surprised that the Console Time cannot be slaved to the WLSW and the WLSW slaved to the Computer when Time is Important.

Why would you want that?  When the computer crashes (or needs to be turned of or rebooted), would you want the time on the console to "freeze"?  Or would you want the time on the console to go to "zero"?  Or something else?

Why is time on the console so very important (within a few seconds or a minute or so)? 

The internal crystal-controlled clock in the console is quite good.  My observation, over many years, is that it only drifts maybe a minute every 2 or 3 months.  So, every month or so, I make sure that my computer has the correct time, and then use WeatherLink to set the console time to match the computer.

My "why" questions above are meant as serious questions.  I'm interested in "why".

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
Thanks for the INFO. I'm surprised that the Console Time cannot be slaved to the WLSW and the WLSW slaved to the Computer when Time is Important.
So, every month or so, I make sure that my computer has the correct time, and then use WeatherLink to set the console time to match the computer.
Which to me is stupid...not you, the process. Why would I want to use the console to set computer time when the computer updates NIST daily, and the console updates with nothing. It should be the computer that updates the console when commanded, not the other way around. :roll:

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 08:09:31 PM »

Why would you want that?  When the computer crashes (or needs to be turned of or rebooted), would you want the time on the console to "freeze"?  Or would you want the time on the console to go to "zero"?  Or something else?

Why is time on the console so very important (within a few seconds or a minute or so)? 

The internal crystal-controlled clock in the console is quite good.  My observation, over many years, is that it only drifts maybe a minute every 2 or 3 months.  So, every month or so, I make sure that my computer has the correct time, and then use WeatherLink to set the console time to match the computer.

My "why" questions above are meant as serious questions.  I'm interested in "why".

It's a nit pick with me, almost to the point of being OCD when it comes to time. Other that having accurite Data, I also want the Time stamp down to at least 2 or 3 mil second with WWV, heck I still use my old Heathkit SW-717, have it tuned to 10Mcps so I can check the accuracy of my " Atomic Time Clocks". I hate it when my clocks drift.
As for the computer were to crash, the Console should be able to free run until com is re established and auto sync again, oh but I digress..........

Edit to Add: How do you set the console to computer time with Weather link? I didn't see it in the config.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:14:04 PM by benay ra'am »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »
So, every month or so, I make sure that my computer has the correct time, and then use WeatherLink to set the console time to match the computer.
Which to me is stupid...not you, the process. Why would I want to use the console to set computer time when the computer updates NIST daily, and the console updates with nothing. It should be the computer that updates the console when commanded, not the other way around. :roll:

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote.  I command the computer (i.e. WeatherLink software running on the computer) to update the console time.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »

It's a nit pick with me, almost to the point of being OCD when it comes to time. Other that having accurite Data, I also want the Time stamp down to at least 2 or 3 mil second with WWV, heck I still use my old Heathkit SW-717, have it tuned to 10Mcps so I can check the accuracy of my " Atomic Time Clocks". I hate it when my clocks drift.
As for the computer were to crash, the Console should be able to free run until com is re established and auto sync again, oh but I digress..........

Edit to Add: How do you set the console to computer time with Weather link? I didn't see it in the config.

Oh. OCD.  I understand.

See Reply #1 above to answer "how".  [In "setup" select "set time and date".]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote.  I command the computer (i.e. WeatherLink software running on the computer) to update the console time.
No sir, I understood, but how do you do that?? My WL only says it can use console time to update the computer, not the other way around... :???:

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »

Oh. OCD.  I understand.

See Reply #1 above to answer "how".  [In "setup" select "set time and date".]
I did that a number of times and WL is always one minute behind the Computer. Now that I'm running Cumulus, Cumulus is dead on with my Computer but the Console is still one Minute behind the Computer, wished Cumulus could set the console's time, Oh well.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »

No sir, I understood, but how do you do that?? My WL only says it can use console time to update the computer, not the other way around... :???:
That's what I saw too.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

Where does it say that?  Please post a screen capture or whatever.

[There is an option to use WeatherLink to manually set the time and date on the computer, also]

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
I did that a number of times and WL is always one minute behind the Computer. Now that I'm running Cumulus, Cumulus is dead on with my Computer but the Console is still one Minute behind the Computer, wished Cumulus could set the console's time, Oh well.

So, use WL to set the console one minute ahead of the computer.

[Seriously, you can use that WeatherLink panel to manually set the console time to exactly the same as one of your atomic clocks or watches (within a second or two)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
Maybe the new TFT touch screen Davis  VP3 display will have Internet time sync.  Imagine...  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
This time thing is being a little bit over done, considering console resolution is only 1 minute with a drift of 8sec month
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:36:42 PM by Mattk »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
[There is an option to use WeatherLink to manually set the time and date on the computer, also]
Exactly my point. When I go into WL, under "setup", then "set date and time", WL will only let the console set the computer time, I can't use the computer to set the console time. That's asinine! Why use something that has a ZERO correction factor to set something that is NIST set every, single day?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
When I go into WL, under "setup", then "set date and time", WL will only let the console set the computer time, I can't use the computer to set the console time.

That is absolutely flat incorrect/wrong/false, for any version of WeatherLink that I have ever seen.

The panel will automatically fill in the computer time, and let you just click to set the console time to that.

Optionally, you may change what was automatically filled in.  And optionally you can select (check-box) to set the computer time to whatever you changed the "box" to.  And then just click to set the console time (and the computer time if you checked that option).

By default, what happens is setting the console time to match the computer time.

If that is not the way your WeatherLink setup panel works, please post a screen shot.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »
Exactly my point. When I go into WL, under "setup", then "set date and time", WL will only let the console set the computer time, I can't use the computer to set the console time. That's asinine! Why use something that has a ZERO correction factor to set something that is NIST set every, single day?

Wrong. Set Station time to [  ] is the computer time or you can input your own time and click the Set the PC time also.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:36:16 PM by Mattk »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »
When I go into WL, under "setup", then "set date and time", WL will only let the console set the computer time, I can't use the computer to set the console time.

That is absolutely flat incorrect/wrong/false, for any version of WeatherLink that I have ever seen.

The panel will automatically fill in the computer time, and let you just click to set the console time to that.

Optionally, you may change what was automatically filled in.  And optionally you can select (check-box) to set the computer time to whatever you changed the "box" to.  And then just click to set the console time (and the computer time if you checked that option).

By default, what happens is setting the console time to match the computer time.

If that is not the way your WeatherLink setup panel works, please post a screen shot.
OK. I see that the box does auto fill, which it always has, BUT it's only accurate to the minute, not second, (yes, you can type in the time and wait for the hack) but I want WL to do it to the second for me, stupid or not.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »

Wrong.
Thanks for setting me straight.....

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Then you are very much expecting beyond the realm of reality. Like somewhere I saw the other day somebody wanting/extecting 2 decimal places for UV or Solar, like in a range of 0-2000 and they want 2 decimals, honestly what's the point!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »
Then you are very much expecting beyond the realm of reality.
Ummm, what??? You think me wanting to be able to automatically set my console from the PC to be accurate to the second is "beyond the realm of reality?" :lol:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »
OK. I see that the box does auto fill, which it always has, BUT it's only accurate to the minute, not second, (yes, you can type in the time and wait for the hack) but I want WL to do it to the second for me, stupid or not.

Understood!  [but why not microsecond or ....]

But seriously, perhaps you should take that suggestion to one of the "Vantage Pro 3" discussions on the forum.

However, I think it's already been suggested that the VP3 Console (or maybe the ISS) should include a time-code receiver to automatically keep the time completely accurate.  [Hmmmm maybe then WeatherLink could set the computer time from the console.......]

anything