Author Topic: WeatherLinkIP Disconnects from Internet  (Read 1371 times)

Offline mcronin

WeatherLinkIP Disconnects from Internet
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »
Hello All,

I am a new member and have been doing an online search for some resolution to a problem we have been having with our WeatherLink connection.  If there is a thread that discusses this issue I would be happy to review it.

Some details.  We are a public elementary school who purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2 in August, 2014.  We also purchased the Weatherlink software (v 6.0.3) and the IP data logger. We have updated the firmware for this model of the data logger to v 1.1.2.  We have given the device a static IP on our network and an "exception" in the firewall.  We use the logged data as part of some of our science and math classes as well as the real-time readings as part of morning meetings and to make decisions about outdoor recess in the winter. 

Problem:  In the past year, the system stops sending updates to the WeatherLink site and we are unable to detect the system on our network.  My most recent attention to the problem finds that it will stay connected for 6-8 hours and then disappear.  I can reconnect to the internet and download stored data to my laptop after powering down the console and rebooting.  On occasion I have also had to reinstall the firmware update.

Tech support has struggled to troubleshoot the issue and are suggesting that some other system on our network may be interfering with it or to send it in for repair.

Before we spend $150+ to send and repair I was hoping someone might have had experienced the issue and found a solution.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.   

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WeatherLinkIP Disconnects from Internet
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
I've been using WeatherLink IP for years and can say it's ultra reliable. My first thought is the same as Davis and that something else on the network may have the same IP address as your data logger but is not "on" all the time. I would try putting the station on another network to see if the problem is replicated and thereby isolating it to either a network issue or a problem with the station.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
A suggestion: Most routers allow the assignment of a specified IP address by the router's DHCP controller to a networked device, identified by its MAC address (which the router can usually be persuaded to list for currently network attached devices). In general, I have found this to be the best way of assigning fixed IP addresses to things, since the router (and any other network tech who may access it) then knows what is going on and will not try to assign the address to any other device. Using a device's firmware settings to fix its IP address always involves the risk that the address will be grabbed by or used for another device on the network.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »
Is there any possibility that the console power was lost for some period? A janitor shutting off a circuit breaker at night, for example?
The batteries cannot sustain the WLIP and they warn against operating with just battery power.
One possibility is that the WLIP was corrupted by low voltage while running on console batteries.
Another thing to check is that the WLIP is seated properly in the expansion connector in the console.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »
Just to confirm, this setup has been working for a few years then in only the last year dropping out? This is not typical of WLIP and would be looking more at the network and/or ISP.

Offline mcronin

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
Just to confirm, this setup has been working for a few years then in only the last year dropping out? This is not typical of WLIP and would be looking more at the network and/or ISP.

That is correct Matt.

Is there any possibility that the console power was lost for some period? A janitor shutting off a circuit breaker at night, for example?
The batteries cannot sustain the WLIP and they warn against operating with just battery power.
One possibility is that the WLIP was corrupted by low voltage while running on console batteries.
Another thing to check is that the WLIP is seated properly in the expansion connector in the console.

Greg H.

The battery issue is a possibility Greg.  I have checked the physical connection between the logger and the console and it was seated securely.

I have passed along the responses to our IT professionals and they are taking a look at placing the WLIP on another network and see what happens.

I appreciate the responses and troubleshooting and will update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:20:04 PM by mcronin »