Author Topic: ec-lightning.php script to display Environment Canada Lightning Danger map(s)  (Read 2330 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
I've just finished a new script (ec-lightning.php V1.00 - 15-Oct-2016) to fetch, resize/cache, and display the Lightning Danger Map from the Environment Canada website.  The script works similarly to the ec-radar.php script in that it caches the pages/etc in the ./radar/ directory by default.

Here's a live sample (updated whenever someone visits the script page) of the output

Standalone users: please use the script page for instructions and download.
Saratoga Base-Canada template users: please use the Update tool page with a query for Base-Canada, Plugin-*, 15-Oct-2016
to get a complete set of the updates.  Note that a Settings.php and flyout-menu.xml are included.  You don't have to replace them if you don't want to-- they are updated with entries to support the new ec-lightning.php and wxeclightning.php pages on the site.  See the ec-lightning-README.txt for additional information.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
Great work, Ken :D
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Thanks very much Ken.  Looks great http://www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca/wxeclightning.php

and EC is a regular observer of the Blitzortung network!

Enjoying,
Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
I had previously put a simple link to this EC site on my website, since Canada is just across Lake Huron from us and it is another valuable lightning resource. I downloaded the test and "standalone" file first, then I was able to download the package from the Canada Saratoga template and just extract the wxeclightning.php file.

I could have got all the files from the Canada base template, but I got the standalone first before I added the wxeclightning.php file.

Works great. http://rogerscityweather.com/wxeclightning.php

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Greg, you could have used the update tool for Base-Canada, 15-Oct-2016 to get the .zip update file.. it included all the scripts/image and then applied to your USA template.

I'd thought about adding it to the Base-USA set, but the coverage for the NAT and other maps dips only some south of the Canada border (about the latitude of Southern Oregon) so is really only useful to USA folks in the northern latitudes.  If other USA folks want it, I do suggest that the update-tool be used (as above) to easily get a complete set of files for the template in .zip form.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Greg, you could have used the update tool for Base-Canada, 15-Oct-2016 to get the .zip update file.. it included all the scripts/image and then applied to your USA template.

I'd thought about adding it to the Base-USA set, but the coverage for the NAT and other maps dips only some south of the Canada border (about the latitude of Southern Oregon) so is really only useful to USA folks in the northern latitudes.  If other USA folks want it, I do suggest that the update-tool be used (as above) to easily get a complete set of files for the template in .zip form.

I also manually saved the icon from the test page, so I got that as well. I should have done as you suggested from the get-go. I guess that I did it the "hard way", but the end result is good. At least the wxeclightning.php in the zip archive saved me from creating my own page.  :lol:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau

Saratoga Base-Canada template users: please use the Update tool page with a query for Base-Canada, Plugin-*, 15-Oct-2016
to get a complete set of the updates.  Note that a Settings.php and flyout-menu.xml are included.  You don't have to replace them if you don't want to-- they are updated with entries to support the new ec-lightning.php and wxeclightning.php pages on the site.  See the ec-lightning-README.txt for additional information.

This is a great addition, Ken.  Thanks very much.  I'll install when your site is responding again.  Appears to be asleep right now.   :-$

Cheers!

Chris

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Site should be back up now... had a bit of an issue with the 1and1 VPS, but should be resolved now.

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
Site should be back up now... had a bit of an issue with the 1and1 VPS, but should be resolved now.

It is back up and awake, Ken.  Thanks again for your work on this template set and for supporting us northerly neighbours. 

Cheers!

Chris

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
... and installed at http://www.rideauwx.info/wxeclightning.php and working perfectly.

Cheers!

Chris

Online Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Nice work Ken as always.  Thanks.

CW3699

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
This morning, the EC Lightning website is having issues, and it exposed a code error in ec-lightning.php (undeclared function) that has been fixed in V1.02 - 15-Oct-2017.

However, the script may cast other errors while the EC Lightning website still has errors itself.  Please update the ec-lightning.php script on your site to be ready for operation when the EC website is restored to normal operation.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Thanks Ken,
I have updated both files and it shows an error, which I presume as you expected until EC gets its house in order  http://www.komokaweather.ca/wxeclightning.php

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
I did send the EC a note via their contact form about the problems with the lightning pages on their sites.. but, it's Sunday and the webmasters are likely having a day off :)